Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 runs only in high Rev.
VF 914
post Jun 20 2021, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,628
Region Association: England

I have a 1972 914, 1.7L always started on the turn of the key. Last week I turned the key, engine turned over but didn’t start up. I pressed the throttle and it started but only stayed running with the throttle about 2000 rpm. As soon as I eased off the throttle or took my foot off, the engine would stall. Fuel filter is new. Checked all vacuum hoses and connections, appear to be fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how to fix it would really be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 20 2021, 12:56 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(VF 914 @ Jun 20 2021, 11:48 AM) *

I have a 1972 914, 1.7L always started on the turn of the key. Last week I turned the key, engine turned over but didn’t start up. I pressed the throttle and it started but only stayed running with the throttle about 2000 rpm. As soon as I eased off the throttle or took my foot off, the engine would stall. Fuel filter is new. Checked all vacuum hoses and connections, appear to be fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how to fix it would really be appreciated.

You'll get more positive feedback if you post this in the Garage area... this is the Classifieds if you're looking for parts. There's so much information from experienced 914 owners in the Garage. Good luck!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 20 2021, 06:38 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Could @SirAndy please move this to the garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Only runs at high idle is almost always a vacuum leak, a hose got knocked off, is cracked and leaking, etc.
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Jun 20 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 22,667
Region Association: Southwest Region

A vacuum leak on D-Jet would cause the idle RPM to shoot up. To me it sounds like a timing issue. I'd double check your distributor. Maybe it loosened up and moved.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 21 2021, 07:53 AM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Lets start with some basics. Since you are looking at vacuum hoses are we correct that you have DJet fuel injection?

Zach
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jun 23 2021, 07:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(VF 914 @ Jun 20 2021, 09:48 AM) *

Failing MPS or CHT.

Seen that symptom with either one of them. Most common failure mode for both parts is to send the system full rich. opening the throttle can allow enough air in for it to eventually fire but it wont idle and will run like garbage.

Both are fairly easy to check.

If it just started happening out of the blue I would look at the MPS first.

What is your exhaust smelling like?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 06:46 PM