Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 runs only in high Rev.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VF 914
I have a 1972 914, 1.7L always started on the turn of the key. Last week I turned the key, engine turned over but didn’t start up. I pressed the throttle and it started but only stayed running with the throttle about 2000 rpm. As soon as I eased off the throttle or took my foot off, the engine would stall. Fuel filter is new. Checked all vacuum hoses and connections, appear to be fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how to fix it would really be appreciated.
mgp4591
QUOTE(VF 914 @ Jun 20 2021, 11:48 AM) *

I have a 1972 914, 1.7L always started on the turn of the key. Last week I turned the key, engine turned over but didn’t start up. I pressed the throttle and it started but only stayed running with the throttle about 2000 rpm. As soon as I eased off the throttle or took my foot off, the engine would stall. Fuel filter is new. Checked all vacuum hoses and connections, appear to be fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how to fix it would really be appreciated.

You'll get more positive feedback if you post this in the Garage area... this is the Classifieds if you're looking for parts. There's so much information from experienced 914 owners in the Garage. Good luck!
Mark Henry
Could @SirAndy please move this to the garage. smile.gif

Only runs at high idle is almost always a vacuum leak, a hose got knocked off, is cracked and leaking, etc.
scottthephotog
A vacuum leak on D-Jet would cause the idle RPM to shoot up. To me it sounds like a timing issue. I'd double check your distributor. Maybe it loosened up and moved.
VaccaRabite
Lets start with some basics. Since you are looking at vacuum hoses are we correct that you have DJet fuel injection?

Zach
JamesM
QUOTE(VF 914 @ Jun 20 2021, 09:48 AM) *

Failing MPS or CHT.

Seen that symptom with either one of them. Most common failure mode for both parts is to send the system full rich. opening the throttle can allow enough air in for it to eventually fire but it wont idle and will run like garbage.

Both are fairly easy to check.

If it just started happening out of the blue I would look at the MPS first.

What is your exhaust smelling like?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.