Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Oil Leak Question, Oil leak from cylinder head studs???
PDXBob
post Jun 21 2021, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,272
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My first question as a relatively new 914 owner. Bought a 1975 1.8L last summer (2020). At that time leaked just about as much oil as the Exxon Valdez. During the winter I dropped engine and fixed all of the usual suspects- rear main seal, oil cooler sealers, pushrod seals, etc.

After finally getting engine back in car I still have an oil leak I can’t find. It is on the right side of engine and it drips down onto pushrod tubes from above. Kind of runs off from the tin piece above pushrod tubes. Looks like it’s coming from near the case, so I’m thinking it may be leaking from a cylinder head stud. First question is: is that possible? Second: What can I do to fix if the stud is leaking from the case? Also, is it likely that the case-piston head seal has developed a leak?

BTW, great website. Thanks for your help.
PDXBob

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jun 21 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(PDXBob @ Jun 21 2021, 07:44 PM) *

My first question as a relatively new 914 owner. Bought a 1975 1.8L last summer (2020). At that time leaked just about as much oil as the Exxon Valdez. During the winter I dropped engine and fixed all of the usual suspects- rear main seal, oil cooler sealers, pushrod seals, etc.

After finally getting engine back in car I still have an oil leak I can’t find. It is on the right side of engine and it drips down onto pushrod tubes from above. Kind of runs off from the tin piece above pushrod tubes. Looks like it’s coming from near the case, so I’m thinking it may be leaking from a cylinder head stud. First question is: is that possible? Second: What can I do to fix if the stud is leaking from the case? Also, is it likely that the case-piston head seal has developed a leak?

BTW, great website. Thanks for your help.
PDXBob

Did you check the oil pressure switch?
I doubt a cylinder stud would leak. They are above the oil level.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 21 2021, 09:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

A couple places I have found that ended up there was the pressure sensor up on top of the case on the right side front. Another is the oil filter that seeped and blew back.
+Quote Post
djway
post Jun 21 2021, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

Where studs go into the case they can leak when open to internals.
Where they go through the heads they can leak.
Base of the pistons can leak, piston to head can leak.
I am having the same trouble on the 3/4 side. Motor was just out and the only trace of oil I could find was at the ends of the barrels. I retorqued the heads and it has slowed. The case was decked, heads were rebuilt, cut....it still can happen.
+Quote Post
PDXBob
post Jun 22 2021, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,272
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for suggestions. I have an endoscope and I’ll check out oil pressure switch and studs this weekend.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:53 PM