Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Oil Leak Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXBob
My first question as a relatively new 914 owner. Bought a 1975 1.8L last summer (2020). At that time leaked just about as much oil as the Exxon Valdez. During the winter I dropped engine and fixed all of the usual suspects- rear main seal, oil cooler sealers, pushrod seals, etc.

After finally getting engine back in car I still have an oil leak I can’t find. It is on the right side of engine and it drips down onto pushrod tubes from above. Kind of runs off from the tin piece above pushrod tubes. Looks like it’s coming from near the case, so I’m thinking it may be leaking from a cylinder head stud. First question is: is that possible? Second: What can I do to fix if the stud is leaking from the case? Also, is it likely that the case-piston head seal has developed a leak?

BTW, great website. Thanks for your help.
PDXBob

bdstone914
QUOTE(PDXBob @ Jun 21 2021, 07:44 PM) *

My first question as a relatively new 914 owner. Bought a 1975 1.8L last summer (2020). At that time leaked just about as much oil as the Exxon Valdez. During the winter I dropped engine and fixed all of the usual suspects- rear main seal, oil cooler sealers, pushrod seals, etc.

After finally getting engine back in car I still have an oil leak I can’t find. It is on the right side of engine and it drips down onto pushrod tubes from above. Kind of runs off from the tin piece above pushrod tubes. Looks like it’s coming from near the case, so I’m thinking it may be leaking from a cylinder head stud. First question is: is that possible? Second: What can I do to fix if the stud is leaking from the case? Also, is it likely that the case-piston head seal has developed a leak?

BTW, great website. Thanks for your help.
PDXBob

Did you check the oil pressure switch?
I doubt a cylinder stud would leak. They are above the oil level.
Shivers
A couple places I have found that ended up there was the pressure sensor up on top of the case on the right side front. Another is the oil filter that seeped and blew back.
djway
Where studs go into the case they can leak when open to internals.
Where they go through the heads they can leak.
Base of the pistons can leak, piston to head can leak.
I am having the same trouble on the 3/4 side. Motor was just out and the only trace of oil I could find was at the ends of the barrels. I retorqued the heads and it has slowed. The case was decked, heads were rebuilt, cut....it still can happen.
PDXBob
Thanks for suggestions. I have an endoscope and I’ll check out oil pressure switch and studs this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.