Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Thinking Out Loud, Which Way to Go
914Sixer
post Jul 8 2021, 11:14 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

At a cross roads of sort. I have a 75 2.0L with the engine and trans done. All the new parts are bought. Metal work is complete. Trying to find a painter at a real world price. Numbers matching car but with bumper back date. Has 5 lug conversion but I have factory 4 lug. In the mean time I bought the " black car", a 73 blank shell. Considering shifting everything to the black car. Both cars will need to be painted either way I go.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
JOEPROPER
post Jul 8 2021, 11:25 AM
Post #2

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2021, 01:14 PM) *

At a cross roads of sort. I have a 75 2.0L with the engine and trans done. All the new parts are bought. Metal work is complete. Trying to find a painter at a real world price. Numbers matching car but with bumper back date. Has 5 lug conversion but I have factory 4 lug. In the mean time I bought the " black car", a 73 blank shell. Considering shifting everything to the black car. Both cars will need to be painted either way I go.

I found myself at a similar place. I put the 5 lug on my '75 and continue to finish "it" while the '73 sits in the on-deck circle. I went back and forth (like many of us do) before I made my decision and ultimately, I'm glad about where I landed. I don't want 2 cars apart at any one time. Space and time are tight and didn't want to get in over my head. My advice, think it thru and stick to your decision. Good luck and post pictures.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 8 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

My approach would be finish the 75.

1) Nothing wrong with. 75’ especially with backdated bumpers.
2) All the time lost with parts swapping. May not much but it sounds like there are some parts to swap.
3) A 75’ chassis potentially has less wear and tear on it - obviously depends on actual miles and driving style (Ax, racing, etc)
4) When done - now you have a 73 as a project and under no pressure while you drive the 75’!
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 8 2021, 04:19 PM
Post #4

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2021, 09:14 AM) *

I think the five lug conversion give better brakes, but makes the neat wheels that came with the cars no longer possible. I am headed towards bringing my ‘76 back towards stock while making my ‘72 fun to drive. I am still trying to determine whether any modern car is as fun to drive as a 914 six conversion. So far, no leads…
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 8 2021, 04:30 PM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Are you going to keep both? I guess for me, it would depend upon the condition of the chassis. I would pick the best chassis if my intent was to only have one. If the "black" one was the one for sale here recently, that looked like a really sweet chassis. I would be very tempted to shoot that car black (original color I think) and assemble that. I don't see how you could go wrong with either car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 8 2021, 04:49 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yes, it is the black 73 that was for sale here.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:26 AM