Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking Out Loud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
At a cross roads of sort. I have a 75 2.0L with the engine and trans done. All the new parts are bought. Metal work is complete. Trying to find a painter at a real world price. Numbers matching car but with bumper back date. Has 5 lug conversion but I have factory 4 lug. In the mean time I bought the " black car", a 73 blank shell. Considering shifting everything to the black car. Both cars will need to be painted either way I go.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2021, 01:14 PM) *

At a cross roads of sort. I have a 75 2.0L with the engine and trans done. All the new parts are bought. Metal work is complete. Trying to find a painter at a real world price. Numbers matching car but with bumper back date. Has 5 lug conversion but I have factory 4 lug. In the mean time I bought the " black car", a 73 blank shell. Considering shifting everything to the black car. Both cars will need to be painted either way I go.

I found myself at a similar place. I put the 5 lug on my '75 and continue to finish "it" while the '73 sits in the on-deck circle. I went back and forth (like many of us do) before I made my decision and ultimately, I'm glad about where I landed. I don't want 2 cars apart at any one time. Space and time are tight and didn't want to get in over my head. My advice, think it thru and stick to your decision. Good luck and post pictures.
Superhawk996
My approach would be finish the 75.

1) Nothing wrong with. 75’ especially with backdated bumpers.
2) All the time lost with parts swapping. May not much but it sounds like there are some parts to swap.
3) A 75’ chassis potentially has less wear and tear on it - obviously depends on actual miles and driving style (Ax, racing, etc)
4) When done - now you have a 73 as a project and under no pressure while you drive the 75’!
worn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 8 2021, 09:14 AM) *

I think the five lug conversion give better brakes, but makes the neat wheels that came with the cars no longer possible. I am headed towards bringing my ‘76 back towards stock while making my ‘72 fun to drive. I am still trying to determine whether any modern car is as fun to drive as a 914 six conversion. So far, no leads…
Cairo94507
Are you going to keep both? I guess for me, it would depend upon the condition of the chassis. I would pick the best chassis if my intent was to only have one. If the "black" one was the one for sale here recently, that looked like a really sweet chassis. I would be very tempted to shoot that car black (original color I think) and assemble that. I don't see how you could go wrong with either car. beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Yes, it is the black 73 that was for sale here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.