Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any recommendations on a decent welder?
SirAndy
post Jul 10 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

I need to weld a few bits and bobs around the 914, nothing structural.

I've done my fair share of Mig so i'm not new to welding per se but i have no idea what brands are good and why.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 10 2021, 06:39 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,319

@mb911
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 10 2021, 06:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Lincoln 140 MIG. 110 volts and will do anything required on out 914's and more. Make sure you use only solid wire and don't forget to change the polarity internally
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 10 2021, 07:45 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I have a Miller 211 AutoSet. Mine is maybe 10 years old. It runs on 220 or 110. You just swap the end of the cord to the plug type you're going to use and plug it in. It takes care of the rest.
I recently got to use @Markhoward Mark's brand spankin' new version of the 211. It is a GREAT unit.
Yes, with the 220 capability you're way over what you may need to do 914 sheet metal. But it's a wonderful unit that will likely never be outgrown.

And just FYI, while I have a Miller MIG, my TIG is a Lincoln. Just so you know I'm not tied to a particular brand.

If you'd like, come up sometime and you're welcome to test it out, see what you think, etc.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 10 2021, 07:53 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have been mostly happy with my Hobart MIG, 120 V. The unhappy times came when I tried to weld stock that was too thick, say .125 or more.

Last year, I added an Eastwood TIG, mostly for thicker stuff. I am still learning, but my son has gotten great results.
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 10 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

MillerMatic 141
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jul 10 2021, 11:54 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Our shop has been Miller equipped (.035 wire) migs for decades. Probably less than $500.00 in maintenance + repairs in the last 20 years...great machines ! For your non-mfg needs, there are good choices for home/ hobby use. Find a dealer like AirGas and check out their showroom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 11 2021, 08:25 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hobart handler is the best bang for the buck and under $500. I have used enough of them for 25 years and they are about the best hobby name brand welder out there for under $600.

Hobart is owned by Miller.

Also keep in my line of work I get to use every brand and the latest and greatest. The Lincoln mp210 is amazing, The new MP Miller machines are plagued with board issues. The Lincoln boards are made and epoxied in cleavland so they are US made.

If the budget is higher say $2500 the best unit on the market right now for multiprocess with AC TIG capabilities I would choose the ESAB 205IC Rebel.

Again depends on your needs. Stick with Hobart,Miller, Lincoln,ESAB over any of the other brands for sure. The luxury I have is being exposed to everything and use them all. I am impartial just want the best working/quality machine for the money.

I do national training for Lincoln but don't work directly for them. They have some fantastic equipment but so do the other brands I mentioned.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 11 2021, 05:21 PM
Post #9

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2021, 04:12 PM) *

I need to weld a few bits and bobs around the 914, nothing structural.

I've done my fair share of Mig so i'm not new to welding per se but i have no idea what brands are good and why.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

It seems like your question requires a bit more. If you want to satiate the craftsman within, then it is money very well spent going the higher roads that Ben ay offer guidance for. On tother hand, MIG welding in any form is an honest to God miracle and Hobart Handlers offer bang and buck. Good luck. Remember, you can be very popular welding bookcases and frying pans.
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Jul 11 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,389

Hobart 210 MPV. Solid machine for under $1k. Have had it for two years and no issues.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 11 2021, 07:57 PM
Post #11

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Jul 11 2021, 05:04 PM) *

Hobart 210 MPV. Solid machine for under $1k. Have had it for two years and no issues.

I wish advertisements for Miller welders hadn’t just shown up all over the weather forecast. Don’t they know I am old and set in my ways?
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 11 2021, 08:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

Hobert Handler 140. $529 on Amazon.

Might buy one to set up as a silicon bronze mig machine.
@mb911
Ben thoughts ?
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jul 11 2021, 10:48 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

I will not pretend I know how to weld (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

But I got one of those Lincoln 140 (110V) on CL about 10 years ago, and as mentioned by another member, it has been good for the work on my car. I use it with Argon mix (75-25) and .023" or .030" wire. You do need a different roller for the wire. The machine came with a 0.030" and I got a 0.025" on Amazon.

If I recall I paid $250 for my machine which was very clean, and still is. I am always on a budget... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Just saw this:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/d/sant...7348599608.html

Good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 12 2021, 06:17 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

QUOTE(cary @ Jul 11 2021, 06:29 PM) *

Hobert Handler 140. $529 on Amazon.

Might buy one to set up as a silicon bronze mig machine.
@mb911
Ben thoughts ?

I have done 30 seconds of silicon bronze MIG.. it's more a body shop type of thing and not used in manufacturing for the most part so not in my wheel house.. I am sure the Hobart would work just fine for it.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jul 12 2021, 07:00 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

Our Miller died a little over a year ago, it served us well, so we bought one of the Vulcan ones from HF, it is light years ahead of my 15 year old miller. It can also do TIG, which I plan to try out soon, but the MIG is very smooth, almost like laying caulk. I was impressed for the money. It also takes a lot of the guesswork out of the settings because you type in what you're welding, thickness, etc and it does the settings. It's also nice on metal that isn't the best, believe it or not, we weld some rusty shit around here.

https://www.harborfreight.com/omnipro-220-i...nput-63621.html

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 12 2021, 07:52 AM
Post #16

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I contemplated between the Vulcan and the Titanium at HF.

I ended up going with the Titanium multi process unit which is a mig/tig/stick/spool gun. All told it was about 1k for everything with a coupon and I only have one machine in the garage. Lovely welder.

After 20 years with my little lincoln, this new welder was just awesome.

You can not go wrong with this guy. Spend the rest of the money on a warranty, consumables, cart, and a 60+cf tank. Probably be ~ $800 all in.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mig-140-profe...nput-64804.html

If you have 220 in your shop grab the 220/110 version for more power.

Best part about this welder is its only 25lbs, so moving it around the shop or taking it to your buddies is not a big deal. No you dont need a bigger welder for a home shop guy.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 12 2021, 10:37 AM
Post #17

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

I've been extremely happy with my Miller.
Consider picking up a used welder. I got it and a tank off of Craigslist for 1/2 of what it would've cost new, and it's been going strong for ~15 years.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jul 12 2021, 01:35 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,674

I was fortunate to pick a Hobart Handler locally on CL along with a gas cylinder. I am a rank amateur but love to weld and the welder seems great. Very capable for anything I have needed to do to date including some heavier gage stuff (brackets and similar). I am able to make some decent welds even on thin stock when the metal is well prepped and my technique is sound.

I almost was hoping that the guys buying HF would say that they are crap, but I am not surprised at the positive review. I have seen the progression of increasing quality as Asian sources have entered the US market, first with the Japanese, then Taiwan, now china.

I don't deny them credit, I am just loathe to see what it has done to our culture and hope that it somehow works out for the better.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 12 2021, 01:47 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 12 2021, 11:35 AM) *

I was fortunate to pick a Hobart Handler locally on CL along with a gas cylinder. I am a rank amateur but love to weld and the welder seems great. Very capable for anything I have needed to do to date including some heavier gage stuff (brackets and similar). I am able to make some decent welds even on thin stock when the metal is well prepped and my technique is sound.

I almost was hoping that the guys buying HF would say that they are crap, but I am not surprised at the positive review. I have seen the progression of increasing quality as Asian sources have entered the US market, first with the Japanese, then Taiwan, now china.

I don't deny them credit, I am just loathe to see what it has done to our culture and hope that it somehow works out for the better.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I know we all buy items from world wide companies I just try to support US made items when I can. I am also a big buy local guy if I can
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jul 12 2021, 03:30 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

TiG only... I like my old Synchrowave 200, but it runs only on 220v. For 110v, I tried, and used a lot, AHP Alpha tig201xd. Yup, Chinese, but I can easily pick it up by hand.

It welds almost ss good as my Synchrowave.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:57 AM