Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any recommendations on a decent welder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I need to weld a few bits and bobs around the 914, nothing structural.

I've done my fair share of Mig so i'm not new to welding per se but i have no idea what brands are good and why.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
idea.gif

bdstone914
@mb911
930cabman
Lincoln 140 MIG. 110 volts and will do anything required on out 914's and more. Make sure you use only solid wire and don't forget to change the polarity internally
tygaboy
I have a Miller 211 AutoSet. Mine is maybe 10 years old. It runs on 220 or 110. You just swap the end of the cord to the plug type you're going to use and plug it in. It takes care of the rest.
I recently got to use @Markhoward Mark's brand spankin' new version of the 211. It is a GREAT unit.
Yes, with the 220 capability you're way over what you may need to do 914 sheet metal. But it's a wonderful unit that will likely never be outgrown.

And just FYI, while I have a Miller MIG, my TIG is a Lincoln. Just so you know I'm not tied to a particular brand.

If you'd like, come up sometime and you're welcome to test it out, see what you think, etc.
bkrantz
I have been mostly happy with my Hobart MIG, 120 V. The unhappy times came when I tried to weld stock that was too thick, say .125 or more.

Last year, I added an Eastwood TIG, mostly for thicker stuff. I am still learning, but my son has gotten great results.
cary
MillerMatic 141
Maltese Falcon
Our shop has been Miller equipped (.035 wire) migs for decades. Probably less than $500.00 in maintenance + repairs in the last 20 years...great machines ! For your non-mfg needs, there are good choices for home/ hobby use. Find a dealer like AirGas and check out their showroom welder.gif
mb911
Hobart handler is the best bang for the buck and under $500. I have used enough of them for 25 years and they are about the best hobby name brand welder out there for under $600.

Hobart is owned by Miller.

Also keep in my line of work I get to use every brand and the latest and greatest. The Lincoln mp210 is amazing, The new MP Miller machines are plagued with board issues. The Lincoln boards are made and epoxied in cleavland so they are US made.

If the budget is higher say $2500 the best unit on the market right now for multiprocess with AC TIG capabilities I would choose the ESAB 205IC Rebel.

Again depends on your needs. Stick with Hobart,Miller, Lincoln,ESAB over any of the other brands for sure. The luxury I have is being exposed to everything and use them all. I am impartial just want the best working/quality machine for the money.

I do national training for Lincoln but don't work directly for them. They have some fantastic equipment but so do the other brands I mentioned.
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2021, 04:12 PM) *

I need to weld a few bits and bobs around the 914, nothing structural.

I've done my fair share of Mig so i'm not new to welding per se but i have no idea what brands are good and why.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
idea.gif

It seems like your question requires a bit more. If you want to satiate the craftsman within, then it is money very well spent going the higher roads that Ben ay offer guidance for. On tother hand, MIG welding in any form is an honest to God miracle and Hobart Handlers offer bang and buck. Good luck. Remember, you can be very popular welding bookcases and frying pans.
Chaznaster
Hobart 210 MPV. Solid machine for under $1k. Have had it for two years and no issues.
worn
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Jul 11 2021, 05:04 PM) *

Hobart 210 MPV. Solid machine for under $1k. Have had it for two years and no issues.

I wish advertisements for Miller welders hadn’t just shown up all over the weather forecast. Don’t they know I am old and set in my ways?
cary
Hobert Handler 140. $529 on Amazon.

Might buy one to set up as a silicon bronze mig machine.
@mb911
Ben thoughts ?
Montreal914
I will not pretend I know how to weld rolleyes.gif

But I got one of those Lincoln 140 (110V) on CL about 10 years ago, and as mentioned by another member, it has been good for the work on my car. I use it with Argon mix (75-25) and .023" or .030" wire. You do need a different roller for the wire. The machine came with a 0.030" and I got a 0.025" on Amazon.

If I recall I paid $250 for my machine which was very clean, and still is. I am always on a budget... headbang.gif

Just saw this:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/d/sant...7348599608.html

Good luck! beerchug.gif

mb911
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 11 2021, 06:29 PM) *

@mb911
Ben thoughts ?

I have done 30 seconds of silicon bronze MIG.. it's more a body shop type of thing and not used in manufacturing for the most part so not in my wheel house.. I am sure the Hobart would work just fine for it.
Unobtanium-inc
Our Miller died a little over a year ago, it served us well, so we bought one of the Vulcan ones from HF, it is light years ahead of my 15 year old miller. It can also do TIG, which I plan to try out soon, but the MIG is very smooth, almost like laying caulk. I was impressed for the money. It also takes a lot of the guesswork out of the settings because you type in what you're welding, thickness, etc and it does the settings. It's also nice on metal that isn't the best, believe it or not, we weld some rusty shit around here.

https://www.harborfreight.com/omnipro-220-i...nput-63621.html
Andyrew
I contemplated between the Vulcan and the Titanium at HF.

I ended up going with the Titanium multi process unit which is a mig/tig/stick/spool gun. All told it was about 1k for everything with a coupon and I only have one machine in the garage. Lovely welder.

After 20 years with my little lincoln, this new welder was just awesome.

You can not go wrong with this guy. Spend the rest of the money on a warranty, consumables, cart, and a 60+cf tank. Probably be ~ $800 all in.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mig-140-profe...nput-64804.html

If you have 220 in your shop grab the 220/110 version for more power.

Best part about this welder is its only 25lbs, so moving it around the shop or taking it to your buddies is not a big deal. No you dont need a bigger welder for a home shop guy.
rjames
I've been extremely happy with my Miller.
Consider picking up a used welder. I got it and a tank off of Craigslist for 1/2 of what it would've cost new, and it's been going strong for ~15 years.
gereed75
I was fortunate to pick a Hobart Handler locally on CL along with a gas cylinder. I am a rank amateur but love to weld and the welder seems great. Very capable for anything I have needed to do to date including some heavier gage stuff (brackets and similar). I am able to make some decent welds even on thin stock when the metal is well prepped and my technique is sound.

I almost was hoping that the guys buying HF would say that they are crap, but I am not surprised at the positive review. I have seen the progression of increasing quality as Asian sources have entered the US market, first with the Japanese, then Taiwan, now china.

I don't deny them credit, I am just loathe to see what it has done to our culture and hope that it somehow works out for the better.
mb911
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jul 12 2021, 11:35 AM) *

I was fortunate to pick a Hobart Handler locally on CL along with a gas cylinder. I am a rank amateur but love to weld and the welder seems great. Very capable for anything I have needed to do to date including some heavier gage stuff (brackets and similar). I am able to make some decent welds even on thin stock when the metal is well prepped and my technique is sound.

I almost was hoping that the guys buying HF would say that they are crap, but I am not surprised at the positive review. I have seen the progression of increasing quality as Asian sources have entered the US market, first with the Japanese, then Taiwan, now china.

I don't deny them credit, I am just loathe to see what it has done to our culture and hope that it somehow works out for the better.

agree.gif

I know we all buy items from world wide companies I just try to support US made items when I can. I am also a big buy local guy if I can
roblav1
TiG only... I like my old Synchrowave 200, but it runs only on 220v. For 110v, I tried, and used a lot, AHP Alpha tig201xd. Yup, Chinese, but I can easily pick it up by hand.

It welds almost ss good as my Synchrowave.
Andyrew
Ben,

Curious if you've tried HF's Vulcan/Titanium line.
mb911
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 12 2021, 02:35 PM) *

Ben,

Curious if you've tried HF's Vulcan/Titanium line.

Yes they work fine but not something we will ever have in our schools or industrial environments. To define our schools I am referring to where I work

Don't get me wrong they are fine for the money but never ever will they be supported by me. I have spent years and years with the good folks at Miller welding and Lincoln. They are ALL good people, car people, support hobbies etc and that is why I support those brands. Plus the fact they are a very stout product you see in every manufacturing plant in the country.

Nacho
Lincoln LE31MP- multi-process welder MIG/TIG/STICK
SirAndy
Thank guys, that gives me a bunch to ponder over ....
beerchug.gif

PS: All i really need is to tack in one of them wiggly nuts in a box that go behind the door covers

welder.gif

Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2021, 09:13 AM) *

beerchug.gif

PS: All i really need is to tack in one of them wiggly nuts in a box that go behind the door covers

welder.gif

You should go see @tygaboy ...
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 13 2021, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2021, 09:13 AM) *

beerchug.gif

welder.gif

You should go see @tygaboy ...

@SirAndy - agree.gif
Come on up!
Gatornapper
Ditto here on Hobart 140. I know Miller is the best but expensive, and Hobart meets my MIG needs.

Got mine for same price as Amazon only at Tractor Supply. I think Hobart fixes their prices with all vendors.

QUOTE(cary @ Jul 11 2021, 08:29 PM) *

@mb911
Ben thoughts ?

Justinp71

I just bought the cheapest lincoln handy mig that takes gas or flux-core on sale about 10 years ago from ebay and it still works great for small projects, up to 1/8" thick.
mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jul 15 2021, 06:06 AM) *

Ditto here on Hobart 140. I know Miller is the best but expensive, and Hobart meets my MIG needs.

Got mine for same price as Amazon only at Tractor Supply. I think Hobart fixes their prices with all vendors.

QUOTE(cary @ Jul 11 2021, 08:29 PM) *

@mb911
Ben thoughts ?

Miller is no better than Hobart. They are one in the same. All owned and manufactured by ITW .

They do have different features but made in the same plant
914outlaw
@930cabman
I'm a newbie to welding and I have the same Lincoln 140 MIG that I have yet to use. Can you explain why you have to and how to change the polarity internally?
Thanks,
Dave

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 10 2021, 08:53 PM) *

Lincoln 140 MIG. 110 volts and will do anything required on out 914's and more. Make sure you use only solid wire and don't forget to change the polarity internally

930cabman
QUOTE(914outlaw @ Jul 15 2021, 01:54 PM) *

@930cabman
I'm a newbie to welding and I have the same Lincoln 140 MIG that I have yet to use. Can you explain why you have to and how to change the polarity internally?
Thanks,
Dave

To many of us the "instructions" are Greek, myself being one. The Lincoln 140 machine is setup for flux core wire and therefore the polarity is ____, I cannot recall. The machine will work, but poorly. It's a simple matter of moving one lead in the side panel to get the correct polarity. It's all in the instructions. Once I did that, she hums very nicely on 18, 20 gauges and up to 3/16" plate. All on 110, 20A power and less that $600. if I recall.
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 15 2021, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(914outlaw @ Jul 15 2021, 01:54 PM) *

@930cabman
Thanks,
Dave

To many of us the "instructions" are Greek, myself being one. The Lincoln 140 machine is setup for flux core wire and therefore the polarity is ____, I cannot recall. The machine will work, but poorly. It's a simple matter of moving one lead in the side panel to get the correct polarity. It's all in the instructions. Once I did that, she hums very nicely on 18, 20 gauges and up to 3/16" plate. All on 110, 20A power and less that $600. if I recall.

If the wire is fluxcored with no shielding gas to be used it should be setup DCEN or in laymen terms the ground wire is on the positive terminal and the negative lead is on the gun side.

If it is solid wire like standard er70s-6 then it uses shielding gas typically 75% Argon 25% co2 mix and the electrode which is the wire coming through the gun will be the positive side with the ground clamp properly called the work lead will attach to the negative lead on the machine..

The rule of thumb with the exception of Flux core is that if the electrode is consumed it should be positive charged. Electrode= MIG wire, stick electrode, and Tungsten with the latter being electrode Negative..
930cabman
Thanks Ben, I meant to explain myself better, but simply am not close to your experience. These forums ROCK for this reason
mb911
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 15 2021, 02:33 PM) *

Thanks Ben, I meant to explain myself better, but simply am not close to your experience. These forums ROCK for this reason

Totally agree. Welding is one of those I can actually speak to at a very high level. Many on here are that way with fuel injection or originality or the chosen career field.

Your right that's what makes this forum rock.
Root_Werks
If it's generally just smaller welding you'll do, any 115VAC gas shielded Mig should do as long as it's a brand that's known like some have already stated.

I had a very fancy 220VAC Mig welder 10+ years ago when I was welding steel tops and fender flares on 914's. These days just picked up a good used Lincoln 115VAC Mig. Shoot, it does just fine and was cheap!
914outlaw
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.