Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT:Speeding ticket in another state= "points"??, Wife got busted in TX....
Mueller
post Jul 24 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

So we made the 2250 miles from California to Louisiana with no problems last weekend (40 hours worth of driving)......I drove most of the way, but would let the wife drive when I needed a nap...a few times I'd mention to her that she better slow down (posted nighttime limit is 65 in TX)(80mph is her favorite number it seems)....she often complains that I only go a few MPH over the limit...well, we are driving a bright red car with CA plates (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

We handle our business in Louisiana and head on back to California....finally at about 11pm on Sat, near Fort Stockton, I am woken up from my nap with my wife mumbling "damn, i think I'm getting a ticket"....

Cop asks "what's the hurry", wife just says she's kinda daydreaming (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

So, the ticket will be about $140 or so I think (forget the excact amount right now)

Needless to say, my wife did slow down and mostly obey the speedlimit...I'm kinda glad she got pulled over, she hardley ever listens to me when it comes to things like this...luckly, it was just a ticket and that we didn't hit any of the deer we see eating on the side of the road....they have the speed limit for reason and on that section of highway, it's much more safer to travel at the posted 65 due to all the deer....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 24 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

they are very particular about the night-time speed limits.. moreso than the day... a big reason is the deer and such... but they also find more drunk drivers by pulling them over for going 1-2 miles over...

have her take deferred ejudication... don't get another ticket in 6mos... this will not be on the record, insurance will not know. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Jul 24 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #3

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

Welcome back!

Hmm, I think it used to be out-of-state points were half of in-state points. To be honest I don't think I've had to worry about points since moving to California. I think the impact to your insurace would be minimal.

And I agree, better her than you (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) Where's Fort Stockton? Texas I assume.

+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 24 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #4

neo life

Member No.: 159

It's HARD to drive 65 for long distances. Those are speed trap / city revenue builders.

Glad both of you made it back ok.
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Jul 24 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,348

Most states don't "talk". I doubt that Texas reports to California, and vice versa. Call a traffic attorney and just get his quick over the phone advice. More than likely, I would say pay it and don't worry about it. I could be wrong, but in my years of driving in both Ks and Mo, Kansas never reported to Missouri any of my bads.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I am suprised thought that she didn't have to pay a bond, or surrender her license on the spot. Usually that is dont as a safegaurd that you will take care of the ticket.
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Jul 24 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #6

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Member No.: 288

QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jul 24 2005, 01:44 PM)
Most states don't "talk". I doubt that Texas reports to California, and vice versa. Call a traffic attorney and just get his quick over the phone advice. More than likely, I would say pay it and don't worry about it. I could be wrong, but in my years of driving in both Ks and Mo, Kansas never reported to Missouri any of my bads..   (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I am suprised thought that she didn't have to pay a bond, or surrender her license on the spot. Usually that is dont as a safegaurd that you will take care of the ticket.

I call BS.

I have a license suspension from NY recorded on my California record that showed up when the insurance agent ran our record as we moved to Texas.

Texas does not generally share it's info with other states. But, just because you don't get the points on your license, do not think the Insurance companies cannot find out.

Anyway, try Call up the Jurisdiction involved and ask about what tat2dphreak said.

Fort Stockton is well known to be a speed trap. I was stopped there last winter for no reason. I was doing 70 mph in a 65. He didn't have me clocked, or anything. He made me wait in the cold, behind the car while he bitched out my wife in Spanish that she shouldn't let me speed. Then let me off.

Was is local or was it DPS (State Highway Patrol)?
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 24 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #7

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I do not know the alliances, but GA is connected with 33 other states now.

M
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Jul 24 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

Yes,
In Texas you can drink and drive and carry loaded guns

But don't speed! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jul 24 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #9

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There's always that definition of Eternity.....

West Texas at 55...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 24 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Jul 24 2005, 02:22 PM)
It's HARD to drive 65 for long distances. Those are speed trap / city revenue builders.

Glad both of you made it back ok.

SIRIUS satellite radio made the trip much, much better this year than any of the previous trips....of my few electronic toys, this one got the approval from the wife about half-way home...it's great not having to try and find a radio station in the middle of nowhere (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

I'm not trying to fight the ticket, it was deserved and "taught' her a lesson, I just hope our insurance does not go up...clean record for both of us for the last 5 years....

AZ is great with their 75mph day or night limit.....sure sucked with the weather, burned the A/C for almost all of the trip...poor little Huyndia got a workout (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 24 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #11

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Maybe this jurisdiction will allow online traffic school. I did this for my last ticket and it only took a few hours of my time.

A friend just got a ticket in Oregon and they reported it to CA. Do whatever you can do to keep points off your record. You may not get surcharged for the first point on your record but if you get another ticket or have an accident then you have 2 or 3 points on your record and will be screwed with higher premiums for 3 years. Better not to let the first point get on your record in the first place.

+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 24 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #12

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

In 2001 I got a speeding ticket in :yawn: Kansas in the 951. I paid it, no points showed up on my record BUT the insurance company found out very quickly and raised my rates.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 24 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #13

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE (anthony @ Jul 24 2005, 07:02 PM)
Maybe this jurisdiction will allow online traffic school. I did this for my last ticket and it only took a few hours of my time.

A friend just got a ticket in Oregon and they reported it to CA. Do whatever you can do to keep points off your record. You may not get surcharged for the first point on your record but if you get another ticket or have an accident then you have 2 or 3 points on your record and will be screwed with higher premiums for 3 years. Better not to let the first point get on your record in the first place.

TX does allow online traffic school also... a good option, generally a little cheaper too, insurance won't find out

the deferred judication is just paying the ticket, +"probation" where as long as you don't get antoher ticket in 6 months it will never show up on a record... ask me how I know... insurance won't find out

70/65(night) is standard all across TX, I wouldn't call it a speed trap.... to me a speed trap is where it's 70mph and as you top a blind hill it drops to 55... that happens all over TX but that doesn't sound like what happened here..

believe it or not, a lot of west TX cops are VERY lenient... I was cruising back to Lubbock and met a cop, he flashed his lights, but didn't pull me over, so I slowed down... I didn't realize I was doing 95 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) I slowed down and set the cruise control...

I also got several warnings for speeding... YMMV
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 24 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #14

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

heh west texas... i have been across west texas so fast at night, that a cop on the previous shift would have had to flash his lights, for us to see it..

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhyaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooowwwwwwww!!!!!!! fuuuuuuuuuuuF!

Takes you like 10 minutes to pass one of those trains... yeesh! they must be doin' 120 out there!

m
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Jul 24 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

You know what?? I F**KING HATE TEXAS!!!!!

I got a ticket there about 2 years ago.... it never caught up with my insurance though.. if thats any comfort.

However... here's the story:

Driving down the highway... doing the speed limit (65)... I drive over an overpass, and the speed limit sign is right there... you can't see it until you're right on top of it....... it drops to 55.

The cop was sitting RIGHT by the sign.

Pulls me over..... 65 in a 55..... $125 ticket.

I called the courthouse.... explained that I thought it wasn't fair. I was TDY, and I was leaving to go back home before my scheduled court date.

The lady asked me point blank:

1) Are you military? Do you have a military sticker on your car?
2) Was it on highway XX, right by the XXXXXXX overpass???
3) Was it officer XXXXXXX that wrote the ticket??

I answered "Yes" to all 3 questions.

Her response:

"Yea.... she writes tiickets to al the military coming over that overpass... you're the 3rd call I've had today..... we get over 20 military guys per month from that officer.... all in the same place"

"I'm really sorry that happened to you, but unfortunately, if you can't appear in court, you must pay the fine, otherwise Texas will issue a warrant for your arrest"

Basically, this officer was picking out cars with military stickers on them, because just about every military person on that base (Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX) is TDY for a short period of time.

I paid the fine after I got back home.

In the memo on the check, I wrote "Dirty hillbilly toothless redneck lesbian cop fine"

They cashed the check--LOL
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jul 24 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #16

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884

QUOTE (Red-Beard @ Jul 24 2005, 04:51 PM)
Fort Stockton is well known to be a speed trap. I was stopped there last winter for no reason. I was doing 70 mph in a 65.

I dont want to bust your bubble but you said it yourself 70 in a 65 well known speed trap. Yes he did have a reason to stop you.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 24 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #17

retired

Member No.: 313

Basically, this officer was picking out cars with military stickers on them,

what a scumbag

my bro is a cop..he tells me he only tickets people "when they deserve it"

I know that leave alot of room for judgement... but some poeple deserve to get tickets..

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 24 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #18

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jul 24 2005, 04:49 PM)
Yes,

But don't speed! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Not true. The open container law went into effect here about 20 years ago. And carrying a loaded firearm without a concealed carry permit will put you in jail......

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 24 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #19

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 24 2005, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jul 24 2005, 04:49 PM)
Yes,

But don't speed!  <_<

Not true. The open container law went into effect here about 20 years ago. And carrying a loaded firearm without a concealed carry permit will put you in jail......

actually, if you are crossing 2 counties in TX, you are legally allowed to carry a weapon in your vehicle for protection. but yea, open container law is in full effect.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Jul 24 2005, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Good thread.

An old fart's tale says Texas ain't nothing like the speed ticket scene in Chicago.
My son's, wife's grandfather said they pulled up next to him while he was driving his old Nash and said "if you can't get this thing to go faster than that, pull off at the next exit". He did.

Question. Can't you use a radar detector in TX?

Mike Cooley
Memphis (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:49 PM