Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying a car from Ebay, am I stupid?
thomasotten
post Jul 24 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

Going against my gut instincts, I am actually considering buying a car off of Ebay. Particularly, I am looking at Audi Avants - they are not that common in the local paper. Is this a bad idea? Has anyone ever bought a car, say between 12k-20k over ebay, and having it shipped?

It's funny, I would feel more confident buying a teener than a modern car.

Any advice? Are there any safeguards that help one not to get screwed? Don't do it? Am I (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 24 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

Its not crazy to buy a car from Ebay.. A friend of mine just bought a DP930 from ebay..

he was able to get a ppi before he took possesion of the car... He paid a fair price and got a nice car.. Im sure this cant be said of all Ebay car transactions.. but make it clear to the seller that you will need an independant mecahnical inspection before you cut that final check.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jul 24 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

1. Get a phone number and speak to the seller direct. A phone talk or two will give you a feel for seller's integrity.

2. Get a CarFax on the car.

3. I have had very good luck with Ebay purchases of Porsches and I think there is less risk with a newer car because of CarFax to confirm mileage and rust is not a factor.
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 24 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I bought my 540I on Ebay. Bid on the car, won the auction, flew down to Dallas and drove it home. No regrets at all. It was a nice 13 hour drive home at an average of 109 MPH and the car got 22 MPG. It was a blast.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Jul 24 2005, 09:56 PM
Post #5

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Well, let me tell you my experience. I bought a 76 912E on ebay a few years ago. I asked the guy tons of questions and talked to him on the phone at least twice before bidding.
He tells me, "Me and my wife are selling it to get a Boxster." Cool, he's a Porsche guy. Then he tells me he put about 20000 miles on it in 3.5 years. Cool again, the car is a driver. I'm feeling OK at this point.

Finally, I won the car. Its in San Diego, me in Phoenix thats a cheap flight and a short drive. Night before I'm s'pose to leave, he calls me to confirm and tells me, "Oh I just realized today, Porsche odometers have 6 digits not 5 this one reads 250,000 not 125,000(rolled over)." It was my first red-flag, but I didn't care I had a new engine ready for it. He follows that little nugget by informing me "Me and my wife are selling this car so we can get a van for our business." Ok, What happened to the Boxster? I'm on guard now.

I arrived and he picked me up in it. It looks about what I expected. Next we are leaving the airport, he shows me the handle of the turn signal stalk and tells me, "Oh this just broke this morning." Whatever.... We pull into a fast food joint and I start really looking at the car. What do I find? The thing hadn't been registered for 3 fucking years! He told me it had been a daily driver for 3 years. Dudes a bullshitter big time. I say let me see the title. Its not even in his name. It was signed over to someone else like 3 years ago, but not him. He says "Heres a bill of sale thats all you need to title it" I tell him, I can't buy your car your title is BS, take me to the airport I'm flying home.

Incidentally, the guy sold the car the next week on ebay. Another week later, he got hammered with a negative by the buyer that said something like "not to be trusted, I broke down" Blah Blah Blah. Another week after that, the guy was kicked off ebay.

End of story. Sorry its long winded. As with any car purchase Caveat Emptor. With ebay, Caveat Emptor x 10. jmho
+Quote Post
jasons
post Jul 24 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #6

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Not to be a total party-pooper but you should read this guys experience.

The M3 Ripoff
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jul 24 2005, 10:08 PM
Post #7

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I bought my 914-6 on ebay. I got a good deal and the car was as advertised but I feel pretty lucky. I would try to get someone to look at it before the close of auction. That can be tough if the seller doesn't communicate well, if that's the case I would pass.
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jul 24 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

I bought my 914 off ebay for about $3,000. It was pretty much as advertized. I spoke with the guy on the phone before bidding, won the auction, flew up and drove it home. For 3 grand I wasn't too worried but for something over maybe $5000 I think a ppi by a reliable person is almost a must. Have someone who is familiar with the make and model you are looking at. It would most certainly be worth paying someone to look at the car. Even if you don't buy the car, it would be a good investment and maybe save you a lot of bucks and exasperation later.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 24 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Check these sites for a price comparision.

www.audifans.com

www.blauparts.com

They both have classifieds

Avant (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 25 2005, 12:01 AM
Post #10

neo life

Member No.: 159

eBay is just another media, just check the service documentation and talk to the seller. Feedback and CarFax helps.
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Jul 25 2005, 01:36 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,663

To date, I've bought three cars off Ebay, and have been very happy.
First car in 1999(back when Ebay wasn't filled with morons) I bought a 1983 Mercury Gand Marques for $305. It was an old cab from Buffalo. 3 years and 30k later I donated it to the salvation army. I still miss that car to this day.

2002, I bought a Mercedes 240D, good car, but was not very reliable, I probably made a bad chose, on this one, Seller was a mechanic and just changed the starter and battery, and guess what. I had starting problem the intire time I owned it.

This January, 96 Saab 9000, Great car, great seller. 13k miles in 6 mounths. Most realiable car I've ever owned.

It's all about the seller, if it feels fishy, "Thanks the seller and walk away"

Good luck
Samson
+Quote Post
MecGen
post Jul 25 2005, 05:12 AM
Post #12

8 Easy Steps

Member No.: 3,421

Hi People...

I was always wondering "why Ebay ? " for 914s
Lots of people here buy 914 cars and stuff on Ebay, but I often suspect its from one member to another (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

Hy-er end cars and special cars are a cool find on Ebay. I would stay with the smaller dealers, that make thier business from Ebay, they have more to loose then just a bad comment.

Us guys in the great wite north don't have the sellection as you southernerz, I can't beleave you can't find a car within 3 hours driving time, on Ebay or elsewhere.

Good Luck
Later
Frank

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Jul 25 2005, 06:20 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,349

I was reading about escrows on ebay, and they claim it is the safest way to buy. You pay the money to the escrow service, and then it is only released once the car has been delivered and it meets your approval. Has anyone ever done an Ebay auction using this escrow service?
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 25 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #14

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I've used escrow in the past with a seller that only had a handfull of feedbacks. Normally, I wouldn't even deal with a low feedback seller but he had exactly what I wanted.

The problem will be trying to find a seller that will accept escrow for a car. I wouldn't accept escrow. There are too many potential problems like who would eat the shipping and return shipping fees if there was a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on a car unless I could test drive it ahead of time and have it checked out by a mechanic. So contact the seller, work a deal, fly out and check the car out and drive it back or have it shipped back.

If that's too much trouble just be patient and find one locally. One will turn up sooner or later.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 25 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #15

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

we bought J's '04 Subaru via Ebay. got a good deal. seller was a dealership that took the car in trade from someone who just bought the wrong car to begin with.

we drove from PA to VA, checked out the car (still with some factory warranty) test-drove it, pulled the OBD-II codes (no DTC's) and headed home. just got onto the inner loop beltway northbound when the clutch trunnion in the 911 broke. we both drove back in the Subie and the 911 followed us on the flatbed :-)
+Quote Post
Loser_Cruiser
post Jul 25 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,873
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My father and I found our 914 on ebay. It was only 3 hours away and we wanted to look at it first but we couldn't make it so we didn't bid. Nobody else bid either so we called him and asked him if he would still sell it to us and he did. Not quite buying it off ebay but close.
+Quote Post
Lyressa Roberts
post Jul 25 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #17

Leo Imperial and Logan Apollo...my terrors.

Member No.: 741

QUOTE (jasons @ Jul 24 2005, 08:07 PM)

The M3 Ripoff

Holy shit!!! is all I can say. That poor guy. I hope Mr. Montoya got his for being such a scumbag.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Jul 25 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #18

Jackstand Extraordinaire

QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jul 25 2005, 03:11 PM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Jul 24 2005, 08:07 PM)

The M3 Ripoff

Holy shit!!! is all I can say. That poor guy. I hope Mr. Montoya got his for being such a scumbag.

Yeah, theres lessons in that story for all of us. That story got around the internet forums and I guess some lawyer read it and helped the guy get his money back. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
mharrison
post Jul 25 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #19

Why do I bother????

Member No.: 1,123

The M3 story is a good read for any car buyer. As I was reading it I couldn't help but think.....

If it doesn't feel right, walk away. At the most you'll be out travel expenses and an opportunity. At the least.... you save 10's of 1000's of dollars and don't go through everything this poor guy did.

+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 26 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #20

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

I suscribe to Road & Track magazine and always enjoy reading Peter Egan's column. In the current issue he described his first E-bay car purchase and basically touched on many of the experiences described. His buy turned out good, but unfortunately you pay your money and you take your chances. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:13 AM