Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need help with 1970 ignition switch removal without the key
fiacra
post Aug 7 2021, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

Anybody know a way to get the ignition tumbler out on a 1970 if you don't have the key? This is a car I acquired that had been sitting for two decades and did not have keys. I've spent hours researching this, reading threads, reading MarkB's tech article, but still haven't figured out if there is a way to do this without a key. I did take the door lock in and had a key made, but it does not work on the ignition. I tried to see if I could get it out without releasing the steering wheel lock, but could not. I had a mobile locksmith come out and after a full hour, and using up three of my key blanks, he gave up and said he would send his "boss" out to do it. He never showed up... I've since called three more locksmiths and all of them have said they need to do more research and then call me back. I did get back in touch with them and one said he doesn't think he can do it, and the other two still want more time to research. I'm at the point where I think I have to drill it out, but wanted to ask the collective if anybody has any further thoughts on this. I know these tumblers are hard to find...but I also saw a reputable member selling several NOS tumblers with VW part number 17319-05442135 that they said would work for a 1970 914. That's a tumbler for a 1968-70 Beetle, and while NOS parts are not easily available, those are easily available aftermarket. https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...113%2D905%2D853
Still, I don't want to drill it out unless I can confirm this would work...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:06 PM