Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with 1970 ignition switch removal without the key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiacra
Anybody know a way to get the ignition tumbler out on a 1970 if you don't have the key? This is a car I acquired that had been sitting for two decades and did not have keys. I've spent hours researching this, reading threads, reading MarkB's tech article, but still haven't figured out if there is a way to do this without a key. I did take the door lock in and had a key made, but it does not work on the ignition. I tried to see if I could get it out without releasing the steering wheel lock, but could not. I had a mobile locksmith come out and after a full hour, and using up three of my key blanks, he gave up and said he would send his "boss" out to do it. He never showed up... I've since called three more locksmiths and all of them have said they need to do more research and then call me back. I did get back in touch with them and one said he doesn't think he can do it, and the other two still want more time to research. I'm at the point where I think I have to drill it out, but wanted to ask the collective if anybody has any further thoughts on this. I know these tumblers are hard to find...but I also saw a reputable member selling several NOS tumblers with VW part number 17319-05442135 that they said would work for a 1970 914. That's a tumbler for a 1968-70 Beetle, and while NOS parts are not easily available, those are easily available aftermarket. https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...113%2D905%2D853
Still, I don't want to drill it out unless I can confirm this would work...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
markb
This is a shot in the dark, but does the door key also work in the other locks on the car? If it doesn't work in the glovebox lock, take the glovebox lock to the locksmith and have a key made for it. You might luck out, if the ignition switch is the original.
mepstein
I removed my 1971 ignition tumbler for repair. I don't remember the exact details but I removed the steering wheel. removed the brass horn contact ring, removed a black round plastic ring and then I think it was just a matter of pressing a small pin in to remove the lock tumbler. Once I found the correct size screwdrivers, It took five minutes.
fiacra
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2021, 05:30 AM) *

I removed my 1971 ignition tumbler for repair. I don't remember the exact details but I removed the steering wheel. removed the brass horn contact ring, removed a black round plastic ring and then I think it was just a matter of pressing a small pin in to remove the lock tumbler. Once I found the correct size screwdrivers, It took five minutes.

Your memory is pretty accurate, only you forgot the step where you have to turn the ignition switch to release the steering wheel lock, and then pull the ignition housing out far enough to access the hole where you press to release the tumbler. I went that far to see if I might be able to figure out another way to access the release pin, but it's not possible.
fiacra
QUOTE(markb @ Aug 7 2021, 11:49 PM) *

This is a shot in the dark, but does the door key also work in the other locks on the car? If it doesn't work in the glovebox lock, take the glovebox lock to the locksmith and have a key made for it. You might luck out, if the ignition switch is the original.

That's one of those thoughts that is so sensible it is actually brilliant! No way to know if the ignition has been replaced, but the door key does not work on the glovebox lock so I'm going to pull it, take it in and see if the key will then fit the ignition. I'll let you know.
914sgofast2
Take the wheel off. Remove upper steering column assembly from car. Remove turn signal switch from upper column. Take upper column with lock to a locksmith so he can remove switch and rekey lock tumbler.
bdstone914
showuser=22920]fiacra[/url][/b]
Go with what mepstein said. The glove box lock is not easy to remove. I took an early lock to my locksmith and he could not rekey it as the assembly is not made to be taken apart.
Yes the VW lock will work. It uses a VW vs Porsche key.
This is where you need to insert a pin to depress the spring that hold in the tumbler. Once it is out you can put a srewdriver in to twist and unlock the column.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.