Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mobil One bad for Type 4's?
ChrisReale
post Jul 22 2003, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

I did a search over at pelican, and read that one engine builder "hates" mobil one, and it is not good for the type4. I use it, and I know a lot of others who use it. I'll throw some poop in the pot...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ht=royal+purple

Read for yourself and comment
Is it bad for our four bangers? Why?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jul 22 2003, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

I don't think Mobile One is a bad oil in a healthy engine, regardless of age. But wisdom says that it will cause leaks in an older motor with tired seals... but bad? Naaa. Sounds like other issues at play with the gentleman's overheating.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jul 22 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #3

Sleazy

Im not talking about the overheating issue, Im talking about Jake Raby saying it is good for 911 motors but not good for type 4's.
+Quote Post
my15window
post Jul 22 2003, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 465

what ever jake says is gold. he done test upon test on type 4 motors
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jul 22 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #5

Sleazy

QUOTE(my15window @ Jul 22 2003, 08:03 PM)
what ever jake says is gold. he done test upon test on type 4 motors

I dont agree. Everyone has their own preferences, and while he has done exhaustive research, I would not be willing to take his advise over an old school mechanic without seeing evidence, which he provided none in his statement. So, who has some info on this?
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jul 22 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Sleazy

BTW I respect him and his opinion, it just takes more than somebody's word to convince me on something like this
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 22 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I'll let all of you in on a little secret:

The dyno is not the end all to all of our questions.. honestly.. it's not even close to real world. Its a controlled enviroment where HE (Jake) has total control over the enviroment. I do agree that Royal Purple works well (seen it myself on a chassis dyno pull).. which is what probably happened in Jakes case (Royal Purple sales reps GIVE it away to known dyno shops).

I also agree that Redline works... I also agree that Amzoil racing synthetic works well.

My experience with Mobil1 has shown me increases in MPG and HP in every single car I have ran it in (Trucks/Cars/Porsches.. Motorcycles.

Make your own decisions on this... I promise there isnt a "bad" name brand oil out there.

B
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jul 22 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #8

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

I am sure the guy is a competent engine builder but he makes some wild claims. I think I would take anything he says w/ a grain of salt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 22 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(MarkV @ Jul 22 2003, 09:24 PM)
I am sure the guy is a competent engine builder but he makes some wild claims. I think I would take anything he says w/ a grain of salt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

haha, MarkV, i like your new avatar.
btw. BRAD, i threw the ratty mascott in your truck.
make sure he gets a good home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Andy
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jul 22 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Fear the Jack Stands

If that thing gets rained on in the back of Brads truck it's going to be really smelly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jul 22 2003, 10:31 PM
Post #11

Sleazy

Brad, I pretty much figured it was "ok", but if I was missing out on a vital piece of info, I wanted to hear about it. Thanks for the responses guy's and rat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
BTW, that is fucking sick! I pulled a dead rat out of an oven at an old job that was the size of a house cat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 22 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Mark..

I think I will have the rat out of the back of my truck before it rains here again (Feb/March next year) It's dry hear 9 months out of the year..lol

B
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Jul 22 2003, 10:38 PM
Post #13

Fear the Jack Stands

It's raining here for the first time since last year. We used to get 10-12" but the last couple of years it's been more like 8". El Nino or something?
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 22 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #14

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Chris... nice avitar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jul 22 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #15

Sleazy

Thanks photographer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
cha914
post Jul 22 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #16

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Last time I spoke to jake he was switching all of his motors to synthetic...I think he prefers valvoline full syn (or royal purple) over mobile one...but I think thats just his preference....all I know is that he had me switch my motor over to synthetic and it ran about 10degrees cooler on average (oil temp that is).

If you have a new motor, I highly recomend it...and you can't really go wrong with any of the big names...

Tony
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jul 22 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #17

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

Wayyyy back in High School. I had two years with a professional motorcycle mechanic. He ingrained in my brain about oil. "Oil is oil and there are types of oil.
Racing Oil, Multi Viscosity and bean oil. (two stroke oil). That same year. Wayyy back, an oil dude from Pennzoil came in to lecture us about oil and said the same thing. Just change it whenever it gets dirty. Since then I've tried to be a nut about buying the best oil I can afford and changing it as often as possible. Oil is blood for the engine, right?
I've seen a 63 Ford Galaxy with 250,000+ miles on the original engine. I asked the owner what his secret was. He said he changed the oil and filter every 2000 miles if it needed it or not. What kind of oil did he use?. Whatever he could find in Kragen's.
Lately have been hanging out with the Mopar Alley club here in San Jose. There is a school of thought about the new oil being sold with the sunburst label. It lacks the detergent needed to collect dirt from inside the engine. A owner of a nice Challenger has his 440 rebuild with all the bearings wiped out . He thought it was because if the 99cent stuff with the sunburst label during break in. Another member attended an Auto repair class at De Anza in cupertino, and harped about
Sunburst oil after seeing a 25000mile. Caddy 32Valve Norstar V8. Full of sludge and carbon. I know it sounds like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) but, I can only tell what I know. Since then, I run Redline in my 914 and change it myself whenever it gets dirty or 2000miles. The truck gets the cheep stuff at the Grease Monkey and changed every 2000miles.

Pat
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 22 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Bingo. Change the oil.

Typical World of Outlaws SBC's last 4-6 races. The fastest guy out there gets 18-20 races out of his engines and people freak out. His secret... he changes the oil after EVERY session. He uses 99cent 7/11 oil.

I have seen Chevy trucks used for landscaping rack up 300k miles and all the guy did was dump oil in and change the filter (never changed the oil... just dumped in fresh when changing the filter..like a rock)

Me.. I'm lazy. I change my truck every 6-8k miles with Mobil1.. but I change the filter every 3-4k miles.

B
+Quote Post
meursault
post Jul 23 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #19

Idjit Savant

Member No.: 355

There may be some true issues with the various oils out there. Lately, I've been hearing about Castrol GTX, a brand I've always liked, causing pitting on 911 rocker arms. Some offroad guys running 911-powered buggies competetively discovered this and switched brands. The problem was apparently solved with a different oil.

I don't know much about the chemical composition of oils, so I can't sort this out as being valid evidence or just an unhappy coincidence. Can oil do this?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 23 2003, 01:34 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

I would think it was a rocker arm issue being exposed by the Oil. Like replacement arms being made from different material...

B
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:43 PM