Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobil One bad for Type 4's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
I did a search over at pelican, and read that one engine builder "hates" mobil one, and it is not good for the type4. I use it, and I know a lot of others who use it. I'll throw some poop in the pot...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ht=royal+purple

Read for yourself and comment
Is it bad for our four bangers? Why?
Lawrence
I don't think Mobile One is a bad oil in a healthy engine, regardless of age. But wisdom says that it will cause leaks in an older motor with tired seals... but bad? Naaa. Sounds like other issues at play with the gentleman's overheating.
ChrisReale
Im not talking about the overheating issue, Im talking about Jake Raby saying it is good for 911 motors but not good for type 4's.
my15window
what ever jake says is gold. he done test upon test on type 4 motors
ChrisReale
QUOTE(my15window @ Jul 22 2003, 08:03 PM)
what ever jake says is gold. he done test upon test on type 4 motors

I dont agree. Everyone has their own preferences, and while he has done exhaustive research, I would not be willing to take his advise over an old school mechanic without seeing evidence, which he provided none in his statement. So, who has some info on this?
ChrisReale
BTW I respect him and his opinion, it just takes more than somebody's word to convince me on something like this
Brad Roberts
I'll let all of you in on a little secret:

The dyno is not the end all to all of our questions.. honestly.. it's not even close to real world. Its a controlled enviroment where HE (Jake) has total control over the enviroment. I do agree that Royal Purple works well (seen it myself on a chassis dyno pull).. which is what probably happened in Jakes case (Royal Purple sales reps GIVE it away to known dyno shops).

I also agree that Redline works... I also agree that Amzoil racing synthetic works well.

My experience with Mobil1 has shown me increases in MPG and HP in every single car I have ran it in (Trucks/Cars/Porsches.. Motorcycles.

Make your own decisions on this... I promise there isnt a "bad" name brand oil out there.

B
MarkV
I am sure the guy is a competent engine builder but he makes some wild claims. I think I would take anything he says w/ a grain of salt. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ Jul 22 2003, 09:24 PM)
I am sure the guy is a competent engine builder but he makes some wild claims. I think I would take anything he says w/ a grain of salt. confused24.gif

haha, MarkV, i like your new avatar.
btw. BRAD, i threw the ratty mascott in your truck.
make sure he gets a good home wink.gif

Andy
MarkV
If that thing gets rained on in the back of Brads truck it's going to be really smelly. w00t.gif w00t.gif
ChrisReale
Brad, I pretty much figured it was "ok", but if I was missing out on a vital piece of info, I wanted to hear about it. Thanks for the responses guy's and rat laugh.gif
BTW, that is fucking sick! I pulled a dead rat out of an oven at an old job that was the size of a house cat barf.gif
Brad Roberts
Mark..

I think I will have the rat out of the back of my truck before it rains here again (Feb/March next year) It's dry hear 9 months out of the year..lol

B
MarkV
It's raining here for the first time since last year. We used to get 10-12" but the last couple of years it's been more like 8". El Nino or something?
Bruce Allert
Hey Chris... nice avitar. smilie_pokal.gif
bruce
ChrisReale
Thanks photographer! driving.gif
cha914
Last time I spoke to jake he was switching all of his motors to synthetic...I think he prefers valvoline full syn (or royal purple) over mobile one...but I think thats just his preference....all I know is that he had me switch my motor over to synthetic and it ran about 10degrees cooler on average (oil temp that is).

If you have a new motor, I highly recomend it...and you can't really go wrong with any of the big names...

Tony
PatW
Wayyyy back in High School. I had two years with a professional motorcycle mechanic. He ingrained in my brain about oil. "Oil is oil and there are types of oil.
Racing Oil, Multi Viscosity and bean oil. (two stroke oil). That same year. Wayyy back, an oil dude from Pennzoil came in to lecture us about oil and said the same thing. Just change it whenever it gets dirty. Since then I've tried to be a nut about buying the best oil I can afford and changing it as often as possible. Oil is blood for the engine, right?
I've seen a 63 Ford Galaxy with 250,000+ miles on the original engine. I asked the owner what his secret was. He said he changed the oil and filter every 2000 miles if it needed it or not. What kind of oil did he use?. Whatever he could find in Kragen's.
Lately have been hanging out with the Mopar Alley club here in San Jose. There is a school of thought about the new oil being sold with the sunburst label. It lacks the detergent needed to collect dirt from inside the engine. A owner of a nice Challenger has his 440 rebuild with all the bearings wiped out . He thought it was because if the 99cent stuff with the sunburst label during break in. Another member attended an Auto repair class at De Anza in cupertino, and harped about
Sunburst oil after seeing a 25000mile. Caddy 32Valve Norstar V8. Full of sludge and carbon. I know it sounds like bs.gif but, I can only tell what I know. Since then, I run Redline in my 914 and change it myself whenever it gets dirty or 2000miles. The truck gets the cheep stuff at the Grease Monkey and changed every 2000miles.

Pat
Brad Roberts
Bingo. Change the oil.

Typical World of Outlaws SBC's last 4-6 races. The fastest guy out there gets 18-20 races out of his engines and people freak out. His secret... he changes the oil after EVERY session. He uses 99cent 7/11 oil.

I have seen Chevy trucks used for landscaping rack up 300k miles and all the guy did was dump oil in and change the filter (never changed the oil... just dumped in fresh when changing the filter..like a rock)

Me.. I'm lazy. I change my truck every 6-8k miles with Mobil1.. but I change the filter every 3-4k miles.

B
meursault
There may be some true issues with the various oils out there. Lately, I've been hearing about Castrol GTX, a brand I've always liked, causing pitting on 911 rocker arms. Some offroad guys running 911-powered buggies competetively discovered this and switched brands. The problem was apparently solved with a different oil.

I don't know much about the chemical composition of oils, so I can't sort this out as being valid evidence or just an unhappy coincidence. Can oil do this?
Brad Roberts
I would think it was a rocker arm issue being exposed by the Oil. Like replacement arms being made from different material...

B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 22 2003, 08:19 PM)
I'll let all of you in on a little secret:

The dyno is not the end all to all of our questions.. honestly.. it's not even close to real world. Its a controlled enviroment where HE (Jake) has total control over the enviroment.

RIGHT ON THE NOSE, BRAD!!!

The dyno is a great tool, but it is hardly real world.

No doubt that Raby is a good builder, but some of his claims are a bit out there. He also uses high CR ratios, which do increase HP, but also shorten engine life. Some of it is also just sales hype.
idea.gif

My first gig was working as a video tech for a company that did all of the General Motors QC videos and I was in the GM dyno for a whole day. They will dyno a single engine for days, sometimes weeks at a time, under every load condition, computer controled, enviroment controled etc, etc...as real world as they could make it. Then they tear the engine down and spec everything.
They scrap more engines than any small shop builds in a single year.

On the oil issue everyone has their fav's...just keep it clean.
beer3.gif
morgan
mobile one 1993 525 T 175.000 1990 325 Ix 240.000
Ford explorer 195.000 All of these engine have never been apart yet
JM smilie_pokal.gif
Brad Roberts
Wow.. Morgan.. you must live out in the boonies somewhere.

The latest Dyno's (leap years ahead Jakes Dyno and our Dyno).. can simulate the 24 hour Lemans with all the upshifts/downshifts/hills... blah blah... All the "big" engine builders have load simulation dyno's.

B
ChrisReale
Out of curiosity, what weight/brand does F1 cars use? What about Le Mans cars? And, what would happen if you plugged my stock type 4 into the Le Mans dyno fighting19.gif ?
cgnj
Hi,

I have a friend who happens to be a formulations scientist at Exxon/Mobil. We had this discussion 2 years ago at the lake after many beers. In any measure that can be quantified, synthentics are better performers than dino juice.
Carlos
Jake Raby
I tested 7 different oils in the same engine.....Mobil 1 was not bad, but did no better heat or power wise than Castrol 20/50...My F production sponsored car saw the same results 3 weeks ago between 2 different races when the oil was changed between them..
The best oil was by far Royal Purple 10/30
A close runner in the testing was Valvoline 20/50. Full Synthetic

I have 2 filing cabinets full of raw data from testing- I keep proof for "Naysayers" when what I do defys "Conventional wisdom" and thats about 75% of the time!!

I Love synthetic oils! But just a few! Not Mobil 1!
ChrisReale
Thanks for the info Jake. wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.