Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heater / Heat Exchanger Delete, Block off fan shroud
mtc911
post Sep 11 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,978
Region Association: South East States

Previous owner rebuilt motor and removed heater - heat exchangers in lieu of a drive different exhaust / muffler combo. They had some heavy duty duct tape and tie wraps on on the (2) ports off the fan shroud. Those have worn off and now fallen off.

1 - it seems like I would want to keep these blocked off to help with cooling / air flow

2 - is there a more elegant way to block them off other than duct tape.

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 11 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(mtc911 @ Sep 11 2021, 02:47 PM) *

Previous owner rebuilt motor and removed heater - heat exchangers in lieu of a drive different exhaust / muffler combo. They had some heavy duty duct tape and tie wraps on on the (2) ports off the fan shroud. Those have worn off and now fallen off.

1 - it seems like I would want to keep these blocked off to help with cooling / air flow

2 - is there a more elegant way to block them off other than duct tape.

Thanks.

It is better to leave them open. Blocking them off disrupts air flow in the shroud by blowing air into a dead end. In normal operation they are blowing air through the heat exchangers even when the heat is off. If it really bothers you take the shroud apart and block the openings inside the shroud. Maybe fill the holes with expanding foam.

Are the J tube holes in the cylinder tin blocked off? I made up sets of plates to cover those holes as they allow hot air from below to be sucked in.

@mct911

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mtc911
post Sep 11 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,978
Region Association: South East States

Yeah. I blocked those holes off with some sheet metal. They were open when I got it and I was getting some high CHT readings. Thanks! Appreciate the help
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:47 PM