Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater / Heat Exchanger Delete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtc911
Previous owner rebuilt motor and removed heater - heat exchangers in lieu of a drive different exhaust / muffler combo. They had some heavy duty duct tape and tie wraps on on the (2) ports off the fan shroud. Those have worn off and now fallen off.

1 - it seems like I would want to keep these blocked off to help with cooling / air flow

2 - is there a more elegant way to block them off other than duct tape.

Thanks.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mtc911 @ Sep 11 2021, 02:47 PM) *

Previous owner rebuilt motor and removed heater - heat exchangers in lieu of a drive different exhaust / muffler combo. They had some heavy duty duct tape and tie wraps on on the (2) ports off the fan shroud. Those have worn off and now fallen off.

1 - it seems like I would want to keep these blocked off to help with cooling / air flow

2 - is there a more elegant way to block them off other than duct tape.

Thanks.

It is better to leave them open. Blocking them off disrupts air flow in the shroud by blowing air into a dead end. In normal operation they are blowing air through the heat exchangers even when the heat is off. If it really bothers you take the shroud apart and block the openings inside the shroud. Maybe fill the holes with expanding foam.

Are the J tube holes in the cylinder tin blocked off? I made up sets of plates to cover those holes as they allow hot air from below to be sucked in.

@mct911
mtc911
Yeah. I blocked those holes off with some sheet metal. They were open when I got it and I was getting some high CHT readings. Thanks! Appreciate the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.