Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie first time posting to 914 World, Got myself a 914
Puebloswatcop
post Oct 27 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Magicscott1
post Oct 27 2021, 07:21 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 25,813
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Oct 7 2021, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 6 2021, 08:31 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
And welcome to the addiction...though it sounds like you may have been addicted for a while (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).

This is an amazing community that's super willing to help, so ask anything. You'll also find that searching the site for topics is easier if you just use google and preface everything with 914world.

I've made a bunch of videos about working on 914s. There's a link to my youtube channel in my signature below. You might want to start with the "914s for newbies" series.

Again, welcome!

Ian

Didn’t realize that. The site’s search function has frustrated me since joining earlier this year. Thanks for sharing that nugget.

Thanks Ian,

I used your video to do my first oil change and gear oil change this past Saturday--BIG thanks to you for the instructions. Funny thing is--I removed the oil strainer and there was no strainer in there. Just the nut, a crush washer, the cap, and one gasket. The cap was relatively clean with no sludge. I scraped the old gasket off, cleaned everything up and replaced everything with a new crush washer and gasket then torqued to 9.5 lbs.

Do you know if the Fat Performance 2.4 engines use different tune up settings for points/dwell, timing, spark plug gap etc. ? Looking for numbers here.

Thank much,

Magic
+Quote Post
Magicscott1
post Oct 27 2021, 07:22 PM
Post #43

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Oct 27 2021, 07:08 PM) *

Thanks much!

Magic
+Quote Post
Magicscott1
post Oct 27 2021, 07:31 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Oct 6 2021, 08:47 PM) *

Weird thinking of a 914 with "Provenance" (is that how you spell it??)..... these little gems are finally getting some Love in the car world.

Welcome to the World!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Too funny! This is a great experience--great car! I just wanted a 914 with excellent power, suspension, handling, and brakes to match. That's what drew me to the car. Sure my paint isn't perfect and there is minor surface rust that I can deal with in time. The 914-6 was way out of my ballpark--that's 911 money these days! Loving the 914 world and everybody has been welcoming.

Thanks much,

Magic
+Quote Post
Magicscott1
post Oct 27 2021, 07:45 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 8 2021, 05:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Magicscott1 @ Oct 7 2021, 06:46 PM) *

Oh yeah, what mechanic is everyone using in MD or is it DIY?

Magic

Magic, I'm strictly a DIY'er (except for my current engine build), but I think there are a couple of shops in the Baltimore area. Jared (who I forgot to mention as a local guy, sorry Jared), may have a recommendation.

Are you talking about general maintenance, body work, mechanical, all the above? There is a resto shop near me that's pretty good. Like all of them, they make their money on the other P-cars like 911's and 356's and may handle a 914 every now and then. Normally hasn't been enough money in 914's for a shop to focus on them. With prices going up on cars, maybe there will be.

I'm a DIY'er too when I can figure it out. Right now I'm sorting this thing out and wanting to do a complete tune up and trying to understand if the tune up specs are the same for this 2.4 ltr as it is for a 2.0 which this engine is built from. It's running weber carbs and MSD with tach adapter just to name a few bits. Any thoughts on tuning numbers such as setting points/dwell, timing (static and running at 2700-3200 rpms, spark plug gap. Also wondering if I should switch to electronic ignition and ditch the points? What are my options? I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Cheers--Beat Navy Beat Army--Go Air Force!
Magic
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:03 AM