Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Heads, who did yours?, And how did they come out.
Brando
post Jul 27 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #21

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Thomas (one914racer) and I had our heads done by a places called Ollie's Machine Co. in Santa Ana, CA. His were done quite a while ago, mine recently. All chambers matched to 56ccs, punched out the intake to 48mm, new stainless valves, new valve seats, springs, ported, polished, intakes port-matched to 48mm. George and Ike do excellent work down there. I think most independants in SoCal take their engine work there because you can warranty their work and they are the best down here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Jul 27 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #22

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 27 2005, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 27 2005, 11:22 AM)

Samson, there is, his name is George, at European Motorworks # 1-800-722-8678.

He's doing a set of heads for me now, big titanium valves, around 50mm & 40mm, 12mm  plugs, Berillium Copper seats, and some really big ports, but I'am doing it as funds allow.

Does good work, reasonably priced, can do your heads well under your budget. Here's a pic

and I bet after spending all that money, you won't have them flowed to know the numbers/ratios (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

my latest 2.0 heads have been done by "Jay" in Santa Clara, (forgot his last name)....recommended by a few different respected Bay Area shops......

another 1 man operation, good work, takes forever (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

[QUOTE]and I bet after spending all that money, you won't have them flowed to know the numbers/ratios (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

NOPE (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)

The pic isn't my head, mine are 2.0, and my ports will be bigger than the Pic. Who needs stinking numbers/ratios (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) There going to flow what there going to flow, which is more than they did.

And I'am not spending a Hole lot of money, but the most expensive item is the welding of the ports and manifolds, thats where I get (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Jul 27 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #23

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 27 2005, 10:33 AM)

my latest 2.0 heads have been done by "Jay" in Santa Clara, (forgot his last name)....recommended by a few different respected Bay Area shops......

another 1 man operation, good work, takes forever  :smash:

Isn't this the same guy that used to do heads for Harry Pellow (aka The Maestro)? I knew his shop was just around the corner from Harry's, which was in Santa Clara.

yup, that's him. he did my heads, which i was happy with.

you need a sense of humour to deal with him -- he's a great guy, but he works at his own pace, at his own volition. i'd certainly use him again.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 27 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 27 2005, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jul 27 2005, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jul 27 2005, 11:22 AM)

Samson, there is, his name is George, at European Motorworks # 1-800-722-8678.

He's doing a set of heads for me now, big titanium valves, around 50mm & 40mm, 12mm  plugs, Berillium Copper seats, and some really big ports, but I'am doing it as funds allow.

Does good work, reasonably priced, can do your heads well under your budget. Here's a pic

and I bet after spending all that money, you won't have them flowed to know the numbers/ratios (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

another 1 man operation, good work, takes forever (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smash.gif)

Isn't this the same guy that used to do heads for Harry Pellow (aka The Maestro)? I knew his shop was just around the corner from Harry's, which was in Santa Clara.

yep, same guy (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 27 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

you need a sense of humour to deal with him -- he's a great guy, but he works at his own pace, at his own volition. i'd certainly use him again

1st time I meet him I went to go pick up my heads after Brad dropped them off to him about a month earlier, when I called he said they'll be done in about 20 minutes after I show up....well, 4 hours later (including going to lunch with him, which he bought) I was finally able to take the heads home.....tons of knowledge and a great guy to talk to
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 27 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Hmmn, TI valves are good for 1K max on the street before the valve job goes to shit... DLC coating helps but it still don't get much more than that...
Ti valves cost 16 times more money than a stainless valve...
This is because they last less than 1/4 as long as stainless and cost 4 times more money.

The only time we go to TI valves is when the velocity of the valve being rocketed into the chamber exceeds what a stainless valve can handle.

As far as valve/port margins go look at this post Len made on my forum yesterday... Its very informative.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...1e3ba2dd5bebf11

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 27 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #27

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

I've heard good things about German Precision in Sunnyvale CA. About the work itself, rather. The owner can be, umm, interesting to deal with. (He told me flat-out that he doesn't do 914 heads, even though I had several friends who had heads there in his shop at that minute!!)

I know one local shop to not go to. PM me for details.

TechCraft in Redwood City did a reasonable job on my heads. It wound up being $1300 to replace all the seats, I think repair a crack or two, and go through the heads completely. Oh, and install stiffer valve springs, which may have saved my bacon not long ago when I overrevved the motor with no damage.

That was about five or six years ago that they did this work for me, though.

--DD
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 27 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #28

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2005, 01:19 PM)
(Snip)
which may have saved my bacon not long ago when I overrevved the motor with no damage.

You seem to have a propensity for overreving motors.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/poke.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 27 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #29

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Only two of them.... So far.... Hey, Clay--can I borry that Six when you've got it put together??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 27 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #30

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Sure, anytime Dave. Come to the MUSR. I need a navigator for the rally. (picking up the phone to call Pelican for a rev limiting rotor........)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 27 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

George at european sucks. I bought some parts from him year ago and they were junk. He kept giving me the run around. After that I swore I would never recommend or let someone else buy parts from him.

I was told a long time ago by an old Porsche factory race mechanic that "I wouldn't let Ollie work on my lawnmower." Since I respect that opinion I figure he knows more about it than me.

I have talked with Walt, formerly of Competetion Engineering, you know Ray Lityz's old place. He seems very knowledgeable and Hal Crossland recommended them.
+Quote Post
smac
post Jul 27 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4,294

I made the mistake of going to type 4 parts for my 912e. Got them back with a cracked exhaust stud housing, had a hacker flycut, and no cc info!! Stay away from this guy! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Jul 27 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #33

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231

QUOTE (Brett W @ Jul 27 2005, 01:10 PM)
George at european sucks.  I bought some parts from him year ago and they were junk.  He kept giving me the run around.  After that I swore I would never recommend or let someone else buy parts from him.

I was told a long time ago by an old Porsche factory race mechanic that "I wouldn't let Ollie work on my lawnmower."  Since I respect that opinion I figure he knows more about it than me.  

I have talked with Walt, formerly of Competetion Engineering, you know Ray Lityz's old place.  He seems very knowledgeable and Hal Crossland recommended them.

[QUOTE]George at european sucks.

I, disagree.

He stands behind his products, about a year and half ago, I had 2 cams go flat, from him, he replaced both and lifters, and other stuff, and the other stuff he didn't have to do. And the problem turned out to be bad lifters.

So, I don't know about what junk parts, you supposedly, received. As far as I am concerned, he stands behind his work and products, and has proved that to me.

And if you want to tell me exactly what your talking about, I'll ask George about it, since there are 2 sides of the coin.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 27 2005, 04:05 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

my 1st experiance with George was so-so....I ended up sending back the headers since I felt the quality was cr@p on them...he returned my money (I ended up eating the shipping charge)

a few months later I called them and ordered new SS valves and a bunch of other valve train related parts...not too bad, but after finding out they recommened and sold me items that do not belong in my engine I'll purchase from other places 1st and use them as a last resort
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 27 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #35

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

type 4 parts sucks as Steve is a rip off artist.
I can't recommend Jerry at NWCS either as he does not the best head work in the world and doesnt listen to instructions.

Len does nice work and delivers them on time. I am sending another set soon while he does a set for the Westy.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 27 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #36

Engine Surgeon

Geoff-
The Westy heads are finished.. Just got them QC'd today...
They have your name on them. they sure are purty!
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 27 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #37

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

ok, I better log on and pay for them.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 27 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #38

Engine Surgeon

Yeah... Buy the part # 7424

I'll switch the pricing back for you for a few minutes as we agreed...
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 28 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #39

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

hahahaha. guess who was the parts house for the onion? european. i'm so screwed. def go with type4 parts. great standup guy. backs his stuff with a dandy warranty. super return policy. send your returns to ron (slits) so you can be sure to get your stuff back when he (steve stromberg, dba type4parts) refuses to accept it. his word is his bond and his honor his sword. i just wish he would fall on it.

k
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 28 2005, 08:02 AM
Post #40

Engine Surgeon

Now, now- Lets play nice... LOL

We all know he has plenty of original ideas and would never, ever copy someone else's components to sell as his own-
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 08:09 AM