Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> @#$%ing Dimmer Relay Tried to Kill Me
bbrock
post Oct 22 2021, 08:08 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Arno914 @ Oct 22 2021, 02:35 PM) *

After more than 100 entries in your restauration project thread (which I read with great interest btw.) your guardian angel decided that you really deserve to keep this beautiful 914 forever! Thankfully everything turned out ok for you!

Maybe the gods are paying me back for letting me be stupid enough to wreck my first 914 the first week I had it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

That thread isn't finished yet BTW. Still a few more projects to cover.

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 22 2021, 07:42 PM) *

I have the original lights, I like the warm hues. My high beams still work, but nobody can tell. Therefore, I don't have to stress the relay by switching them on and off with traffic. Problem solved.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) That would solve two problems. I always wouldn't have been screaming down the mountain at 70+ mph because 20 was about as fast as I ever felt comfortable driving with those original lights at night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I just pulled the car into the garage after a night run to town. Dimmer relay worked perfectly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Oct 22 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #22

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If that modified relay has survived two tours down "your" road, then it has been Montana tested tough and is truly good to go.

I was driving the six to Billings early one morning, following behind a pickup on the interstate and right about at the Bear Canyon exit (he) swerved to the left about a cars width. I was running the "warm hue dining mood lights" of coarse (well before LED invention). I followed suit because, well... because ??? Out of the corner of my eye the "warm hue' was just enough to faintly illuminate a moose with its front feet over the white line of the highway as I passed by at about knee cap high. I thought, was that a moo... nah.
On my way home that evening that moose was piled up on the west bound lane. Sometimes it's better not knowing?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Anyway, glad your putting miles on that beautifully restored car. Don't bend it up Brent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 23 2021, 03:05 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

@bbrock

in australia the old school trick for how to not hit a kangaroo at night is to kill the headlights.
------roos get mesmerized by the light and just stand in the road frozen.
kill the lamps and they hop off. the shite chinese switch might be an asset here?

i had to do a run from a town called mallacoota about two years back after we missed a plane. 4 hours of hell through the remote victorian section of highway 1 in dense bush after dark in a rental car. i ran with the right tyres in the rumble strip white line down the center of the road and killed the lights twice - both times i thought we were gone but the roo kept going and didn't freeze. i only knew where i was going by keeping the tyre on the white line in the centre of the road - by sound but not by sight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

there is no defence against a kangaroo hit in the day time.
usually they come in from the side with no warning.
liable to come through the windscreen during a daytime hit.

+Quote Post
barefoot
post Oct 23 2021, 07:08 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Is there a solid state relay that can replace the OEM ????
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:59 PM