Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1975 Carbed 1.8, Rebuilt to a 2.0
ballsyfacts914
post Oct 28 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,413
Region Association: Northern California

Hi All,

Worked on getting the charcoal canister installed last night and when I finished and started the car, I heard this clicking noise that for some reason stood out to me.

I did some research and it seemed it could be three things, a leak in the exhaust, a valve issue, or a rod issue.

Pulled each of the spark plug wires individually while the engine was on (only minor shocks) and the click didn't go away. I also noticed that the click lessened once the car warmed up.

I then reached out to AutoAtlanta and spoke with George, he confirmed the spark plug wire pull while running was a good way to troubleshoot a valve issue. The click did seem to lessen when I pulled the passenger side wires but was still there. George also said that an exhaust leak noise would go away when I revved the engine. In my case the click increases when I rev, though seems to be less.

I plan to drain the oil and check if any thing is in the screen, which would indicate an issue with the rod.

Lastly, I pulled a video of me starting the car cold and driving up and down my street from two years ago and the click is there. Also, no mechanic I have had it too has mentioned anything sounding off.

So, my question is, is it a click or just a normal engine sound? Any advice on how to diagnose further? Should I be worried?

Thanks for all your help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:01 AM