Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 Carbed 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
Hi All,

Worked on getting the charcoal canister installed last night and when I finished and started the car, I heard this clicking noise that for some reason stood out to me.

I did some research and it seemed it could be three things, a leak in the exhaust, a valve issue, or a rod issue.

Pulled each of the spark plug wires individually while the engine was on (only minor shocks) and the click didn't go away. I also noticed that the click lessened once the car warmed up.

I then reached out to AutoAtlanta and spoke with George, he confirmed the spark plug wire pull while running was a good way to troubleshoot a valve issue. The click did seem to lessen when I pulled the passenger side wires but was still there. George also said that an exhaust leak noise would go away when I revved the engine. In my case the click increases when I rev, though seems to be less.

I plan to drain the oil and check if any thing is in the screen, which would indicate an issue with the rod.

Lastly, I pulled a video of me starting the car cold and driving up and down my street from two years ago and the click is there. Also, no mechanic I have had it too has mentioned anything sounding off.

So, my question is, is it a click or just a normal engine sound? Any advice on how to diagnose further? Should I be worried?

Thanks for all your help!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Oct 28 2021, 04:40 PM) *

Hi All,

Worked on getting the charcoal canister installed last night and when I finished and started the car, I heard this clicking noise that for some reason stood out to me.

I did some research and it seemed it could be three things, a leak in the exhaust, a valve issue, or a rod issue.

Pulled each of the spark plug wires individually while the engine was on (only minor shocks) and the click didn't go away. I also noticed that the click lessened once the car warmed up.

I then reached out to AutoAtlanta and spoke with George, he confirmed the spark plug wire pull while running was a good way to troubleshoot a valve issue. The click did seem to lessen when I pulled the passenger side wires but was still there. George also said that an exhaust leak noise would go away when I revved the engine. In my case the click increases when I rev, though seems to be less.

I plan to drain the oil and check if any thing is in the screen, which would indicate an issue with the rod.

Lastly, I pulled a video of me starting the car cold and driving up and down my street from two years ago and the click is there. Also, no mechanic I have had it too has mentioned anything sounding off.

So, my question is, is it a click or just a normal engine sound? Any advice on how to diagnose further? Should I be worried?

Thanks for all your help!

You could add engine tin issues to your list. You can get a fairly loud clicking from poorly fitting or cracked tin or even just a screw missing in the wrong place.
Jonathan Livesay
Oops, double post due to spastic index finger.
emerygt350
Yeah, I had one of the tin bolts fall out and the rattle scared the hell out of me .of course that is unlikely to change much with rpm.
NARP74
Try an automotive stethoscope and see if you can locate it more precisely.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Oct 29 2021, 11:59 AM) *

Try an automotive stethoscope and see if you can locate it more precisely.

Coming today, updates to come.
ballsyfacts914
Hey All,

I drained the oil, checked the screen, and cut open my oil filter. Didn't see anything of concern.

But....when I was pouring the old oil into my collection bucket, I saw flakes of metal in the bottom. Guess I am throwing a rod bearing!

barf.gif
rfinegan
When i found my knock it was the trust bearing on the camshaft. all the drag and pulling the plug wires did nothing. only at slow speeds and no load did it knock. Makes sense with the beveled gears.

Hope this helps

I found the root cause when I split the case. I too had bablit in the screen. that's when i pulled it

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Oct 30 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Hey All,

I drained the oil, checked the screen, and cut open my oil filter. Didn't see anything of concern.

But....when I was pouring the old oil into my collection bucket, I saw flakes of metal in the bottom. Guess I am throwing a rod bearing!

barf.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.