Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jamie's 914-H6 Subaru Swap, Palm Springs California
barnfind9141972
post Nov 12 2021, 03:42 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,976
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 12 2021, 06:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Tetou @ Nov 12 2021, 06:27 AM) *

Best of luck on your new project.

Do you know of a body shop in Palm Desert, CA that can weld in part of floor pan?

Thank you.

I'll text my buddy later, he grew up here, he knows more people here than I.

I have a body shop that’s doing my car right now, they don’t do rust repair but they do a great job of straightening the body out and getting it looking nice and paint for a very reasonable price, cheapest I could find anywhere with great work when you’re at that part of the process (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Nov 21 2021, 12:14 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 26,060

I've had a few weeks away on work, which gave me time to consider how I want to do this car.

In a dream world I'd have the shell restored to perfection, and ask Jeff Gamroth to build me a 2.5 short-stroke MFI motor to propel it down the road. Back in reality, I realised I'm going to be using an engine from something less exotic than a 911ST.

I initially wanted to do a Chevy V8 swap, but after reading through most of the swap threads on here, it's clear that Subaru power is a decent, tried-and-tested route to take. And so I decided that was what I'd do.

My 912 dyno'd at about 100hp at the wheels, and it clips along OK. A normally-aspirated Subary 4cyl is around 150-165hp and, given that the 914 is around the same weight as the '12, this power would probably be more than sufficient.

But then I learned about this engine called an 'EZ30D', from the early 2000s Legacy, which makes 215hp, and critically has six cylinders. This is important to me because I then have a six-cylinder in a car that was intened to have four, and a four cylinder in a car that was intended to have six. And that's a good in-joke.

So yesterday I swung-by a place in LA that sells used JDM motors, and picked one up. I realize I should have bought a whole donor car, but manual six-cylinder Legacys are all either rodded, or have 250,000 miles on them. Plus, I don't much want one sitting in my garden or hangar - I already have this god-awful 914 shell to look at.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475655.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475655.2.jpg)

I also picked up a five-speed 5MT manual transmission for it, before stopping in at Ikea and loading several closet casings on top of the whole thing and driving 100 miles back to the desert.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475655.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475655.4.jpg)

Earlier in the week, whilst working down near San Diego, I also bought a hood, engine grille, rear brakes (which I forgot I already had) and front struts (which I also forgot I already had - what is wrong with me?). I also picked up this lovely old Racemark / Raid steering wheel.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475656.5.jpg)

So... the plan.

Fix the rust in the rear of the floors and the top of the hellhole, and the big hole in the front pan from the (long gone) dealer-installed AC. Then I'd like to clean-up the cabin area, paint it black, fit some seats and possibly a carpet set, and replace the cracked windshield.

Then I'd like to rebuild the pedal cluster, master cylinder and brakes so that's all totally kosher.

Then I'd like to put the Subaru motor and gearbox in the car, get it running on Megasquirt and just drive it as is - ugly as all hell. I'm a bit too OCD with making stuff neat and tidy, and I think this will be an interested psycological exercise to try and just let go a bit.

Once it's a functioning vehicle, I'll try to work out what to do with it - off-roadize it, or whatever else.

That's all I got for now.

So this evening I unloaded the engine from my car...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475656.6.jpg)

Then dragged this over and tried it for size...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475656.7.jpg)

And then stood back and wondered, for quite some time, why I create these projects for myself.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1637475656.8.jpg)

Anyway, if you look carefully you'll see the streering wheel is flopped away from the dash. Next I need to hunt-down the whole upper steering column assembly - mine has been pilfered.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 21 2021, 06:32 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 24,781

Since you live here in the dez, you may consider using this to fix the hole up front.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/oil914207m491pms
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 23 2021, 03:22 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Jamie - I just spent a couple hours reading your 912 thread on DDK. Great build and story. If I can help you with anything, let me know. Mark
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Nov 23 2021, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

Hi Jamie - sounds like you're having fun across the Pond! Had it not been for the pandemic, I'd have been back across a couple of times and tried to look you up in PS. Welcome to the world of fourteeners - they're addictive, as you're already discovering!
+Quote Post
anglophone1
post Nov 23 2021, 04:31 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 24,331
Region Association: None

Jamie
I reposted a link at DDK - so expect more of us to drop by!
Every 911/2 owner needs a 914 too…C
+Quote Post
neilbardsley
post Nov 23 2021, 05:53 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 24,754
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(jamlip @ Nov 8 2021, 09:59 AM) *

### EDIT - for the purposes of not filling this forum with multiple posts about the same car, I'm going to continue the recomissioning of this car in this thread. Details begin on page two. ###

Checking in as the new owner of a 1971 914.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-26060-1636387205.1.jpg)

Dragged out of the desert yesterday. Basically a shell, a steering rack, one wheel and a title.

Apppears to be in decent shape. Probably needs a floor (rust penetration), definitely needs a front pan (cut up, no idea why) and some repair to the hellhole (small rust hole, but unsure what lies beneath). Rockers, doors and rear trunk appear to be very nice. There is light crash damage to the front left which has been hammered-out. I can't find bondo on it anywhere.

Kind of hesitant to post this as I've always wanted a 914, but unsure if this is the one. Long-time Porsche fan - owned a '72 911T when I was in my mid-20s, and now have a twin-plugged 912 which I restored (from a shell which wasn't a whole lot nicer than this).

Anyway, I have a rough idea of what I want to do with it. In the time being, I need to start hunting down some parts. Lots of parts.

Congratulations Jamie. I'm sure it's going to be an interesting project. I love mine and they are a joy to drive compared to a 912. However, they are a pain to work on. You will be wishing for an engine in the back soon!
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 13 2021, 10:31 PM
Post #28

Hello Keith, Clive and Neil! Great to hear from you guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 13 2021, 11:06 PM
Post #29

Few more hours on the car this evening. I'm taking it right down to the shell - I just find things way easier to work on when they're pared to their most basic form.

My friend Logan gave me a set of wheels so I can at least get the car rolling. They're just cheapo steelies from JBugs, but when I put them on the car I actually kind of dig the look, and it got me thinking.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1639458403.1.jpg)

When I started restoring my 912 all those years ago I had all these ideas about what I wanted to do with it. One of them was to make the most base-model 912 imagineable, and that is kind of how it ended-up. At least in terms of appearance - underneath there's a twin-plugged injected motor and lots of covert chassis lightweighting (it stands, ready to drive with half a tank of gas, at 1945lbs).

Anyway, I still love the 'all-go, no show' concept, and I think it'd be fun to do it to the 914, although go even more hardcore - just a tub and an engine. No heat, no dash, no trim pieces anywhere. I'm aiming for somethign I can thrash off-road, so I'm thinking just spray the whole thing black and vinyl wrap the sides whatever colour I fancy at the time.

The car is nearly down to nothing now. I pulled off the right rocker cover and discovered the bottom of the A-pillar had rotted out where the AC lines entered from the wheel well / cabin. I guess it was condensation from the lines that did it. Bummer. Found a repair section on Restoration Design, so not too much of an issue.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1639458403.2.jpg)

Still trying to work out if I buy a front trunk repair panel at $250 (to replace the current one which has been cut for A/C) or just patch in some sheet steel. If I take this thing out in the desert that pan is going to get eat a lot of rocks.

Another thing I'm trying to work out is whether I have the shell sand/media/vapor blasted or just leave as is. It's really nice to work on a clean shell but it's perhaps $1000-1200 I don't need to spend on something I plan to ultimately be thrashing the balls off.

I think I know what I'm going to end up doing, I just haven't admitted it to myself yet.
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 13 2021, 11:06 PM
Post #30

Oops, double post!
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Dec 13 2021, 11:10 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

Shoulda left the 914 and taken the RV-6 instead!
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 13 2021, 11:13 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Dec 13 2021, 09:10 PM) *

Shoulda left the 914 and taken the RV-6 instead!

That's my RV-6!

This is where I picked up the 914. If you see anything there worth having, I'll go back for it!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1639459076.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 23 2021, 12:30 PM
Post #33

Been doing a bit of research and it looks like the 914 axles won't hold up to 230 Subaru horses.

Does anyone have 911 hubs and stubs they'd be willing to sell?

I have a source for 911 front end parts.

If anyone wants to buy some original struts and brake calipers, I have a few.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 23 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #34

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(jamlip @ Dec 23 2021, 10:30 AM) *

Been doing a bit of research and it looks like the 914 axles won't hold up to 230 Subaru horses.

They last if you center the axels correctly. I'm still running the OEM 914 CV's after 25K+. The first year I thrashed it. I used to slam it into 2nd and break the tires loose just for S&G's. On the other hand, if you go five lug you'll have a greater selection of rims & tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 28 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #35

Hi Kent,

That's interesting. Thanks for the FB message, by the way. Would love to come check out your cars, seeing as I'm fairly local.

My feeling is that I'd like to just get this thing up and running on steels and skinny tires and work out how I feel about it from there on in. If I run a narrow tire and keep the weight out of it, the lack of traction should keep the strain out of the axles. I'm a maginal grip afficionado anyway - my 912 is on 185 Vredestein Sprint Classics, and my LS3-swapped Roadmaster burnout machine is on whatever-the-hell offbrand whitewall 225s that I bought it on (when it was powered by its original 180hp 350 TBI). Not a single aftermarket wheel or wide tire anywhere to be seen.

Usual science fair / lack of planning vibe to this whole thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

James

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 23 2021, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(jamlip @ Dec 23 2021, 10:30 AM) *

They last if you center the axels correctly. I'm still running the OEM 914 CV's after 25K+. The first year I thrashed it. I used to slam it into 2nd and break the tires loose just for S&G's. On the other hand, if you go five lug you'll have a greater selection of rims & tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 28 2021, 11:38 AM
Post #36

... this all said, if anyone has a 911 rear stubs & hubs setup they're willing to sell, give me a shout.

(I have a source for a 911 front end).

I dig the five-stud steel wheel look on these cars.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 28 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Pelican is usually a good source for 911 parts.
+Quote Post
jamlip
post Dec 28 2021, 12:00 PM
Post #38

Thanks. Intimately familiar!
+Quote Post
jamlip
post May 23 2022, 04:00 PM
Post #39

Going in. Car has been moved from the hangar to my house. I've almost stripped it bare - just the harness and a few odds and sods to remove now.

I welded on a new A-pillar base, then ran out of argon. Need to do passenger floor and a small patch in the trunk.

Then a bit more welding to stiffen it up, jet wash it, bond on the roof and hit it with some farm implement satin black. I may do the outer panels in a separate color when I'm done.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1653343199.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1653343200.2.jpg)

Straight to hell for this one. Also, If I spot a seam, I'm going to weld it. I plan to bounce this car over the desert and want to do everything I can to stop it snapping in half.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1653343200.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imgur.com-26060-1653343200.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post May 24 2022, 05:26 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 23,209

Good thread, nice work so far. Just seeing the first photo in the low desert dawn makes me jealous. Love that area! nice 912!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:12 AM