Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rebuild or Turn Key?, 1.8 (Big Bore 2.0 Kit) 1975 with Weber Carbs
ballsyfacts914
post Nov 27 2021, 01:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,413
Region Association: Northern California

Hi All,

I recently found metal in my oil after identifying an engine knock (likely a rod bearing has slipped). I have been researching what to do and wanted to get the communities opinion. Below are the options I have been considering or have questions about.

1. Rebuild existing engine. $8-10K minimum, may go higher depending on how much damage has been caused/if parts need to be replaced. My concern with this option is twofold, the unknown potential for significant additional cost and no warranty.

2. Rebuild existing engine using a rebuild kit. Seems like this option may alleviate the potential for significant additional costs but I am not really sure. Seems like it would be in the $10-12K range. Same concerns as #1. Would like your thoughts on this option.

3. Buy a 2.0, have it refurbished/rebuilt. This option is what my mechanic recommends. This also seems like a bit of a gamble because who knows what state the 2.0 would be in. I can see a scenario where I get a 2.0 for $2-4K and then need to spend $8-10K to rebuild. Similar concerns here as #1 and 2. Any suggestions here would also be much appreciated.

4. Buy a turn key 2.0. This is my currently preferred option. Leaning towards JCS for the turn key as they have good reviews, stand by their work, and are relatively reasonably priced. I also like this option as I can just sell my current engine to offset the cost of the turn key. Also get a warranty and don't have to worry about significant additional costs...to a point.

Thanks in advance for all your responses and recommendations.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 02:26 PM