Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Motor oil shelf life, 2+ cases of VR-1, unopened bottles
anderssj
post Dec 4 2021, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bought three cases of Valvoline VR-1 20w50 about 18 months ago, back when it was cheap(er). Given the number of miles I put on the teener in a given year, the remaining 2 cases will probably last me another 3 years or so. Any problem using oil that is 4 to 5 years old if the bottles are unopened?

BTW, I read a number of the various articles on the web, but thought I would get better gouge from the experts here... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Thanks in advance!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Dec 4 2021, 10:12 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Sort of depends whether or not your the sort of guy that won't eat food that is past its "expiration date".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Dec 4 2021, 10:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

It's a couple hundred million years old already. I don't think a couple years will be a big deal.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 4 2021, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 4 2021, 10:16 AM) *

It's a couple hundred million years old already. I don't think a couple years will be a big deal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Dec 4 2021, 02:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I would not worry about it with todays oils and additives.

BUT I actually do have personal bad and dumb experience with very old oil I should not have used in my truck.

1990-ish I briefly came to own a 1979 Pinto, whole other story that's better with (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

But that Pinto had a half a case of Texaco Havoline motor oil, old-style cans that require a spout punched in.
I knew it was old oil but used it to change the oil in my 1980 Datsun truck and after a several weeks of use and then sitting a week or so it would not start, cranked slow.
Low battery, I assumed and put the charger on it, an hour later I try again and get the same thing.
I then proceeded to guess my way through cleaning battery cables, ground connections, jumping from van, up to concluding the starter was bad and replacing it.
Before I got out my amp meter and read 370 amp starter draw and realized the engine was the problem! The old oil had turned to almost a jelly, it was so thick it drained so slow I put a heater under the engine to get the stuff out, N CA area it was not cold.

So embarrassing note here, at the time I was a Porsche dealership tech.

Test don't guess!

Jim
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Dec 4 2021, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks all! Appreciate the responses. The oil is stored in my garage (in VA), so should be ok. Maybe I can sneak it into a climate-controlled closet upstairs in the house
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 4 2021, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 4 2021, 11:16 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I said those exact words to Ray Mital more than once.
The things added by sustained exposure to the internal combustion
environment are another story.
+Quote Post
PatMc
post Dec 5 2021, 06:40 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 25,669

I would have no issues using it until it's started "canning". Canning is when the bottle looks like you pulled a vacuum on it and it's somewhat collapsed...that typically means that a significant amount of atmosphere has permeated the package and started to affect (oxidize, or something else) the product. If the bottle looks normal and there's no "use by" date it on....shake it up some (sometimes fine solids will fall out of suspension over time) and run it.

I apply this rule to just about everything in a bottle.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Dec 5 2021, 11:33 AM
Post #9

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

@PatMc Another Pat Mc (short for McCabe, what’s yours?) here…. I see them on the flaps shelves with “canning” sometimes…

Mobil 1 says 5 years for its conventional for synthetic…. Others as you may have read state around 5 years conventional 7 for synthetic.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 5 2021, 12:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 4 2021, 11:12 AM) *

Sort of depends whether or not your the sort of guy that won't eat food that is past its "expiration date".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Or not comply with the "5 second rule"
+Quote Post
Van B
post Dec 5 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 26,011

QUOTE(PatMc @ Dec 5 2021, 07:40 AM) *

I would have no issues using it until it's started "canning". Canning is when the bottle looks like you pulled a vacuum on it and it's somewhat collapsed...that typically means that a significant amount of atmosphere has permeated the package and started to affect (oxidize, or something else) the product. If the bottle looks normal and there's no "use by" date it on....shake it up some (sometimes fine solids will fall out of suspension over time) and run it.

Plus, you’ll need to give it the ole paint can shake when you do finally use it. Some of the additives will settle over time. I actually do the shaky shake on every bottle. But, there’s probably medication I could take for that.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 6 2021, 02:48 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Van B @ Dec 5 2021, 07:14 PM) *

Plus, you’ll need to give it the ole paint can shake when you do finally use it. Some of the additives will settle over time. I actually do the shaky shake on every bottle. But, there’s probably medication I could take for that.

When you find the medication, please share as many of us could use it
+Quote Post
73-914
post Dec 6 2021, 03:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 6 2021, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Dec 5 2021, 07:14 PM) *

When you find the medication, please share as many of us could use it

It's called "Applejack"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:52 PM