Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 123ignition install, kicking my butt
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 7 2021, 01:26 PM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I'm installing a 123ignition in a customer's 914-6 (conversion) and it's really kicking my butt. It's a 2.7 with PMO's, and as you probably know, distributor access is a PITA in a 914-6. Cutting an access hole in the firewall isn't an option.

I've never had this much trouble installing a distributor. I've done at least half a dozen distributor installs in a 914-6, a few 911's, and numerous 914-4's.

I've confirmed TDC#1 with a scope in #1 (piston up, valves closed), and installed the distributor per the exceptionally generic instructions that came with the distributor.

I've moved the distributor in roughly 1mm increments both directions about 20* and I can't get the engine to run. Some loud pops and bangs, but that's it.

Any experienced advice would be appreciated!

I like the concept of the 123ignition unit, but there's a few things about it that could stand improvement. The clips for the distributor cap are very flimsy for a new distributor in this price range and fit poorly. There were problems with the spring loaded center terminal of the cap right out of the box.

There's no specific instructions for this engine. The US dealer, while a nice guy and good to return calls is not a mechanic and slim on tech support.

It seems to me the problem is indexing the LED with the shutter while getting the rotor at #1 with the cap in the right orientation. I didn't think it would be this hard. Customer purchased the distributor on my recommendation, so I'm compelled to get it going. I've never had a car I couldn't get going, so this is frustrating.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:27 PM