Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123ignition install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I'm installing a 123ignition in a customer's 914-6 (conversion) and it's really kicking my butt. It's a 2.7 with PMO's, and as you probably know, distributor access is a PITA in a 914-6. Cutting an access hole in the firewall isn't an option.

I've never had this much trouble installing a distributor. I've done at least half a dozen distributor installs in a 914-6, a few 911's, and numerous 914-4's.

I've confirmed TDC#1 with a scope in #1 (piston up, valves closed), and installed the distributor per the exceptionally generic instructions that came with the distributor.

I've moved the distributor in roughly 1mm increments both directions about 20* and I can't get the engine to run. Some loud pops and bangs, but that's it.

Any experienced advice would be appreciated!

I like the concept of the 123ignition unit, but there's a few things about it that could stand improvement. The clips for the distributor cap are very flimsy for a new distributor in this price range and fit poorly. There were problems with the spring loaded center terminal of the cap right out of the box.

There's no specific instructions for this engine. The US dealer, while a nice guy and good to return calls is not a mechanic and slim on tech support.

It seems to me the problem is indexing the LED with the shutter while getting the rotor at #1 with the cap in the right orientation. I didn't think it would be this hard. Customer purchased the distributor on my recommendation, so I'm compelled to get it going. I've never had a car I couldn't get going, so this is frustrating.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 7 2021, 02:26 PM) *

I'm installing a 123ignition in a customer's 914-6 (conversion) and it's really kicking my butt. It's a 2.7 with PMO's, and as you probably know, distributor access is a PITA in a 914-6. Cutting an access hole in the firewall isn't an option.

I've never had this much trouble installing a distributor. I've done at least half a dozen distributor installs in a 914-6, a few 911's, and numerous 914-4's.

I've confirmed TDC#1 with a scope in #1 (piston up, valves closed), and installed the distributor per the exceptionally generic instructions that came with the distributor.

I've moved the distributor in roughly 1mm increments both directions about 20* and I can't get the engine to run. Some loud pops and bangs, but that's it.

I like the concept of the 123ignition unit, but there's a few things about it that could stand improvement. The clips for the distributor cap are very flimsy for a new distributor in this price range and fit poorly. There were problems with the spring loaded center terminal of the cap right out of the box.

There's no specific instructions for this engine. The US dealer, while a nice guy and good to return calls is not a mechanic and slim on tech support.

It seems to me the problem is indexing the LED with the shutter while getting the rotor at #1 with the cap in the right orientation. I didn't think it would be this hard. Customer purchased the distributor on my recommendation, so I'm compelled to get it going. I've never had a car I couldn't get going, so this is frustrating.

@ironhillrestorations

Perry,
sounds like its the same for a six as in a /4. they are a bit sensitive , just a small bit of movement either way make a big difference. If you have it at TDC the little green light should be seen, then follow the instructions but it says rotate left i believe(advnace) until it goes out, then back until it comes back on and it should fire up, then set the timing adjst accordingly. right now i have my/4 set at just a bit more advance than factory, 30 degrees i think, and it fires right up first crank.

Phil
emerygt350
What dr.phil said. I just put one on my 4 and I had to stab it a couple times to get into a position where the led was visible at tdc so I could do the two other steps...in the end it was simple but those instructions mean you are flying blind till you get it.
mb911
The issue is the silly green light was off just a bit off for my car. My car runs awesome off of the dizzy. Really happy with mine. It was a bit more of a fuss because there was nothing to line the rotor up with.
BeatNavy
Perry, this is from a few years ago with an older model of dizzy, but McMark did a good job describing the procedures and pitfalls (and those damn cap clips) here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2545698

I did find it pretty tricky to do the initial install, and I ran into a couple of issues initially, but once it was in and setup properly it was great.
IronHillRestorations
I’m sure the problem is getting the rotor and cap orientation right. There’s no notch in the rim, and the 123 can’t be installed with the cap in the same in the same position because the wire fitting is in the way. The cap that came with this distributor is crap, the center contact keeps coming off the spring.

The 6 cylinder is much different than a 4 due to the drive on the bottom. There’s really only one way a 4 goes in, the 6 has a gear.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time trying to get this to work. The problem I’m having is getting the rotor and cap to align with #1 plug wire with the LED on. The cap has to be 180 from the stock position, which is not a problem but I can’t get the rotor to line up with a plug wire
Click to view attachment
It looks lined up but it’s past the mark
Gatornapper
Perry -

I can't help you and hope Phil's advice does the trick.

But I want you to know that I am very encouraged to see that an experienced Wrench like you also runs into difficulties occasionally - ones that seem that they would be simple.

As I know your knowledge and experience are not the problem. sunglasses.gif

And you are charting the way for me as I want to put a 123 in my 914 someday - tho my 050 is doing great. A bit disconcerting to hear about the cap clips and center electrode tho........

GN

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 7 2021, 02:26 PM) *

jhynesrockmtn
I did this last winter on my 6 conversion with the motor out of the car though. If it helps I can try and stick a camera down there and get a few pics.
emerygt350
You should be able to rotate the distributor body independent of the gear and rotor stab. I think that is what threw me for a loop. I had to first get a position where the clips made sense and then where I could access the pot and finally where the light was visible.
GBX0073
I had a learning curve getting mine up and running
Hope the information can help someone
Also read the info on calibrating your timing
Think of the dizzy as having its own brain it will adjust to any timing at any RPM but it first needs a reference from there on it will make the corrections on the fly

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=352723&hl=
rgalla9146

Perry possibly not TDC # 1 but overlap ?
verify clearance at # 1 valves......or lack of clearance
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 8 2021, 04:56 PM) *

Perry possibly not TDC # 1 but overlap ?
verify clearance at # 1 valves......or lack of clearance

It's at Z1 with the piston at the top and intake valve closed.
IronHillRestorations
I really appreciate all the help. Thank you for your replies to my post.
jcd914
After futzing with mine a while, I set a completely flat timing curve at 0 degrees across the rpm range.
Then turned the distributor until the led came on. The car started but but I had to turn out the idle screw and advance the distributor a little more.
Once I got it to idle I could check and adjust to 0, to establish the distributor position and tightened it down.

Mine is a bluetooth version so reprograming the curve is easy.
The timing is all in the electronic curve.
If I want it at 6 degrees at idle I program that into the curve, no need to adjust the distributor to change the timing.

I set an all mechanical curve the mimics the stock curve and that works well.

Jim
Piggy backing on Perry here. Good to talk to you today man!

Does anyone have preset curve files that will work on a djet 4 (2056) that could be sent to me. I believe there were maybe 4 curves that would work from the 123ignition list of curves?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies..

Ken
Tdskip
Any update Perry?

I second that it is great to see people ask for help (regardless) of experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.