Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Purchasing a 914 in 2021, SHOCKING!
914werke
post Dec 7 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #1

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
So Like many here I've been buying & selling these cars for a long while.
Was a day when you could go out on a WE pick up a project car for under a 1K (usually under $500) Fix it break it or flip it.
Those days seem all but gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
After a while the cars start to find you, IE I get calls every week or so with the typical story: the caller has a car their relative left them, or a spouse has passed, they dont know anything about it, & they are not interested in it (ya right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)), "are you interested in buying it?" ect ect.
Many times these are lazy and transparent attempts at value research, some times they are genuine.
Shortly ago I got one of these that was 10min from my place, So of course I went to look her over.
Having done so countless times I go into these with LOW expectation.
This time Im rewarded with a pretty decent car & engage in negotiations.
Long story short, this turns out to be one of those genuine stories & I even find the owner of the car posted here prior to his passing.
His widow & I agree on a price & this is where the fun starts..

The title is still in his, not his wife's name. Same last name mind you. WE go to a licensing office & even though she has her birth, his death & a marriage certificate ..in hand, they wont transfer title an insist the only way to sell it is to apply (PAY) for a new title in her name THEN transfer (PAY) the title to me. Ok ... no point in arguing stupid bureaucracy.
So step 1 & wait for new title to show.
In the mean time I pay her for the car & pick it up. Weeks pass & I get a call the title has come in, she mails it to me & I go in to finalize the transfer
I have all the necessary paperwork including a bill of sale listing a modest purchase price (side note: this is the MOST Ive ever paid for a 914!!)
I watch the agent as her fingers key the necessary detail into the states system, then she grabs a magazine (?) flips thu it finds what shes looking for types it into her system turns to me an advises me the $ amount needed to complete....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)
Apparently WA State in addition to charging me sales tax on the purchase price wants to tax me a "use" tax based on its supposed current valuation~!?
The book she referenced was from PriceDigest & is supposedly the same guide the IRS & many other states use for the purpose of figuring out what you got & what its worth.

Be careful what you wish for, the somewhat recent increase in interest in our cars has now been realized by agencies interested in emptying our pockets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Dec 7 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yep, the states is really proud of the the way they figure stuff. Bases information on lala land sales, NOT the real world.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 7 2021, 07:28 PM
Post #3

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Hey Rich, it used to be you could get a notarized statement from the seller stating the purchase price that would be accepted in lieu of the price guide. Did you ask about alternative pricing sources?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 7 2021, 07:58 PM
Post #4

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

That is for the sales tax. They are using valuation estimates from a data aggregator who sells their info as a subscription. "The Book" I referenced for the USE tax?
They let me peak at it as I was getting agitated when arguing the car's "USE" had been taxed multiple times already in its 50 yrs.
The book has 5 classifications for condition from Showroom to parts car.
This car I classified as #2 "restorable" & the value they wanted to tax me for was just under $14K even though the the sale price was well south of that.
Rant off.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Dec 7 2021, 08:42 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Complete govt. fraud, extortion, racketeering, etc.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 7 2021, 09:17 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hey, you don't want Washington to run out of money!
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 7 2021, 10:18 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,686

Blah blah Rich, show us pics of the darn car man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
theer
post Dec 7 2021, 11:05 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

If it makes you feel any better Massachusetts has been doing that for years. There’s a “form” to contest it, but it magically always gets rejected.

+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 7 2021, 11:22 PM
Post #9

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

“ Use Tax is defined as a tax on the storage, use, or consumption of a taxable item or service on which no sales tax has been paid. Use tax is a complementary or compensating tax to the sales tax and does not apply if the sales tax was charged.”

Salestaxinstutute.com
+Quote Post
914e
post Dec 8 2021, 03:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

Washington charges you sales tax and use tax? on a used car? from a private party?
+Quote Post
dhuckabay
post Dec 8 2021, 04:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,379

Behind a pick up yesterday with WA plates. Bumpersnicker said, I don't need sex, I get screwed by Inslee every day. I moved from Spokane to Idaho because of this type of bull.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 8 2021, 07:30 AM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Yes, by all means, pictures please.

Government is completely out of control and it will not be long before some people will just stop working all together so they do not have to pay the ridiculous taxes we are all being assessed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Dec 8 2021, 07:55 AM
Post #13

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 8 2021, 12:22 AM) *

“ Use Tax is defined as a tax on the storage, use, or consumption of a taxable item or service on which no sales tax has been paid. Use tax is a complementary or compensating tax to the sales tax and does not apply if the sales tax was charged.”

Salestaxinstutute.com
QUOTE(914e @ Dec 8 2021, 04:54 AM) *

Washington charges you sales tax and use tax? on a used car? from a private party?

sounds like double taxation. I cant complain too much, in SC you pay a sales tax that is capped at $300 no matter how much you pay for the car. Then you pay a personal property tax that is yearly and depends ono that same book "valuation", but it drops every year even for older cars and they dont reclassify classics so i pay $25 a year PPTX on the 914, but it can be really expensive for a while if you buy anew car. Also now they increased the cost of a title transfer and/or new title EVEN if its a gift to your kid, they now charge $500 for that title!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) so on a $1000 value car, like our 2000 528 BMW we were giving our daughter, we have just left it on our insurance and our name on title until they get something else there is no sense in them spending almost $1000 just to change over name/owndership to our kid .
they get you one way or the other,
+Quote Post
mate914
post Dec 8 2021, 07:56 AM
Post #14

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

Double taxing is kind of like... Taxing without representing...
They just keep squeezing us until we pop..

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 8 2021, 08:10 AM
Post #15

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

How much did this add to the purchase price? This title transfer matter/format is nothing new. The EXECUTOR of the estate could have 'gifted' you the car. Then all one is responsible for are the actual title transfer fees. BTDT. I gifted a car I owned to a relative. Bummer if you flip the car and get hammered with STCGs on your income taxes. Is 914werke a company with a state biz licience?

I'm more concerned with the effect the explosive valuations of realestate and the potential for an increase in our property (that we will NEVER sell) taxes.

If you're unhappy with the state of Washington, there are 49 other states (and U.S. territories) for your relocation desires.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Dec 8 2021, 08:13 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 22,206

Same BS in Taxachusetts - I appealed (there is a process for this) and they, as good bureaucrats, completely ignored me and the process.

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 7 2021, 07:12 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
So Like many here I've been buying & selling these cars for a long while.
Was a day when you could go out on a WE pick up a project car for under a 1K (usually under $500) Fix it break it or flip it.
Those days seem all but gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
After a while the cars start to find you, IE I get calls every week or so with the typical story: the caller has a car their relative left them, or a spouse has passed, they dont know anything about it, & they are not interested in it (ya right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)), "are you interested in buying it?" ect ect.
Many times these are lazy and transparent attempts at value research, some times they are genuine.
Shortly ago I got one of these that was 10min from my place, So of course I went to look her over.
Having done so countless times I go into these with LOW expectation.
This time Im rewarded with a pretty decent car & engage in negotiations.
Long story short, this turns out to be one of those genuine stories & I even find the owner of the car posted here prior to his passing.
His widow & I agree on a price & this is where the fun starts..

The title is still in his, not his wife's name. Same last name mind you. WE go to a licensing office & even though she has her birth, his death & a marriage certificate ..in hand, they wont transfer title an insist the only way to sell it is to apply (PAY) for a new title in her name THEN transfer (PAY) the title to me. Ok ... no point in arguing stupid bureaucracy.
So step 1 & wait for new title to show.
In the mean time I pay her for the car & pick it up. Weeks pass & I get a call the title has come in, she mails it to me & I go in to finalize the transfer
I have all the necessary paperwork including a bill of sale listing a modest purchase price (side note: this is the MOST Ive ever paid for a 914!!)
I watch the agent as her fingers key the necessary detail into the states system, then she grabs a magazine (?) flips thu it finds what shes looking for types it into her system turns to me an advises me the $ amount needed to complete....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)
Apparently WA State in addition to charging me sales tax on the purchase price wants to tax me a "use" tax based on its supposed current valuation~!?
The book she referenced was from PriceDigest & is supposedly the same guide the IRS & many other states use for the purpose of figuring out what you got & what its worth.

Be careful what you wish for, the somewhat recent increase in interest in our cars has now been realized by agencies interested in emptying our pockets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 8 2021, 08:58 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

They need to $ for all the hotels they are buying for the drug addicts to die in.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 8 2021, 09:05 AM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Wow!! I'm surprised. I just bought that v8 914 in so cal and I only had to pay sales tax. With California being broke with the highest welfare participants, i am surprised they also don't have something like that. However we now have a whole bunch of other taxes, that makes this the worst place to live.
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Dec 8 2021, 09:06 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,100

Fun stuff isn't it. I'm generally a fairly progressive guy on social issues but Seattle politics is one of the reasons I'm in Spokane and obviously that doesn't allow me to escape this kind of crap. Sounds like a nice car though and at least the title stuff worked out.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 8 2021, 09:09 AM
Post #20

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The use and sales tax matters are pretty well laid out at dol.wa.gov under 'Use tax for vehicle and boats'.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:01 PM