Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Souvenir Rally Plates, The long road to the best option
VegasRacer
post Jul 28 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #1

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Soon after Portland was chosen as the site for the 2006 WCC, I volunteered to handle the Souvenir Rally Plates. I figured the task would be a slam - dunk since my number 2 addiction is collecting Rally Plates. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) I was wrong.

My plan was the get Kroma to make Rally Plates for us. They are the company that makes the plates for the Rally Monte Carlo and many other European rallys events. I contacted both the corporate office and the sales division. Neither produced any results. I tracked down their phone number and called. They said they would fax some information. Nothing was sent. I even had a friend in France contact them. After limited communications they stopped replying after he gave them the details. I don't know if Kroma does not like Porsche's in general, 914's in particular or just does not want to deal with Americans. Either way my message to them is (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif) .

I then broke out my list of International Rally Plate contacts and asked if any of them had any suggestions for an alternate source to make our plates. It turns out that Kroma is the only company who has produced any metal rally plates in recent years. Several other options are available to make plastic ones, similar to what we used the first year. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif) But this is not what I wanted.

My next step was to try to find an American company to do the job. None were willing or able to make the die cut shape I wanted in a limited qantity. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif) Failure again.

My last resort was the person I should have contacted first. I know a guy who's business is making license plates. His company did the official D.C. Presidential Inagural plates, Utah Olympic plates and all of the plates for the Virgin Islands and several other small countries. He also works for many different states Motor Vehicle Departments to help with special projects. He checked with all of the sources but was not able to find anyone who could do the large scale, die cut metal rally plate style I had in mind.

Now the good news -What he is able to do for us is to make top quality, standard size (6x12) metal plates. Not the thin metal 'booster plates' like we had last year. These plates will be fully reflectorized, just like the ones that are issued by every DMV. We can get them screen printed or embossed with anything we want.

At the bottom of this post is my proposed design. Please excuse my poor graphic skills. I think you get the idea. It is kind of like a 50 foot - 50 mph paint job. It looks better if you close one eye and squint with the other.

I think embossed number look better than screen printed. We can get what anything we want, but more than 2 digits would interfere with the design. Since we will probably have less than 100 cars at the WCC we could get them numbered 1 to 99. If we want to get more than 100 plates (to sell as souvenirs to those who want an extra or can not make the event) we could have all the others the same with 06 or 00, or what ever.

If we sell the space on the right side to sponsors, the plates will more than pay for themselves. The first year we did this all three spots were claimed in a matter of minutes.

I do not yet have an exact quote for the plates.
It should be about $12 each if we get 150 plates.
We still have plenty of time to work out the details.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 10 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

those metal plates sound cool!
is the logo color gonna be yellow this year?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Aug 10 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #3

ELVIRA

IIRC we had voted last year and decided on the color progression for the next few WCC's. Yellow is next in line. However, that does not necessarily mean yellow with white accents for the plates. Here is some more of my famous bad graphics to show what yellow and red would look like.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Aug 21 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #4

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

John Checking back in on the rally paltes. They look great. I would think of asking anyone else to make these because John is th eplatemaster. Lets get back on line with then and let me know what we need to do.
Thank you
Craig
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Sep 19 2005, 05:38 AM
Post #5

ELVIRA

I got a firm price quote today from my source. The plates would be produced on a 3M DLP Machine. This is the state of the art in the license plate industry and is being used by the state DMV's that can afford it. The aluminum base is the standard license plate material used by most states and they would use 3M reflective sheeting material. In simple terms - these would be the absolute best top professional quality plates available. We are also free to choose how each plate will be individually embossed. My recommendation is sequentially numbered 1 to xxx.

There will be a one time set up charge of $350. I told him we would want at least 100 plates, and maybe as many as 200. Based on this quantity the price per plate will be $8.50 each. So if we got 100 it works out to $1200 or $12.00 each. If we get 150 it would be $1625 or $10.83 each. 200 plates would be $2050 or $10.25 each.

I am counting on our graphic expert Jeroen to provide the art. A sample prototype would be produced to confirm that everything is exactly to our specifications before the final production run. He suggested that we have everything ready to go and place our order in February to be sure we have sufficient time.

This means we need to get busy lining up sponsors for the event if we are going to sell the 3 spaces on the right side of the plates. The spots for logos could be offered as a bonus as part of a sponsorship package for the big ticket items. Another option is to sell the logo spots separately and have to plates be a money maker. My thought was that one plate would be included in the goodie bag for each paid registration. The extras could be sold to those who want more than one and members who are not able to attend the event.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Sep 19 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Sep 19 2005, 12:38 PM)
I am counting on our graphic expert Jeroen to provide the art.

No problem... will do

Any specific wishes?
Is there a standard dimension to work with?
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Sep 19 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #7

ELVIRA

The standard dimensions are 6" x 12".
I will get you exact measurement of the placement of the bolt holes and the size of the embossed numbers so you can work them into the design. It is a full color process so we are not limited in that respect. You have more than proven your talents and I trust you completely for the graphics. Don't hesitate to ask if I can help in any way.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Sep 19 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #8

Jeroen, I am in desperate need of the letterheads for WCC 2006 so that we can get letters out to potential sponsors.
Thank you
Craig C. Laughlin
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Sep 19 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Craig, it should be in your mail box by now...
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 9 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 10 2005, 04:28 PM)
Here is some more of my famous bad graphics to show what yellow and red would look like.

me likes the black/red/yellow ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge6.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Nov 9 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

hmmm... I wonder why (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Nov 9 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #12

ELVIRA

'cause it matches my avatar??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

(a detail of the graphics for my new helmet)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Nov 9 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

John, were the 2005 plates too cheesy? They were a lot less $$. I have the contact info if you want.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 20 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 7 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #15

ELVIRA

My source said he would be contacting me some time in January to get the project rolling. I expect to hear from him soon. What do I tell him?

Jeroen needs to do the art. (please)
Are we going to take donations for the 3 logos?
If we are selling these spots we need to have a graphic.
How many? What color? . . . . and all the other questions I asked in my previous post.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 7 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #16

John Good morning. I am rereading this thread on the plates. The idea of a plate in each goodie bag is the way we will go. As far as sponsors I agree that the way we did it before withe three spots picked up by the first three who want it is sound.
John, what are your thoughts on the number we should have made. Do we do 100 ( just a number)and have just the right amount or do we do 150 or 200 and have extra and some to sell?
How did we arrive at the colors and design for the past two years?? it seemed to work, lets stick with a proven idea, not complicate this anymore than we have to.
Craig
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 7 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #17

ELVIRA

The plates should more than pay for themselves. IIRC the 1st year we sold all the advertising spots in a matter of minutes. What should we charge for logo placement? If you want, this could be a way to generate addidional funds for the WCC. $500 - $750 - $1000 per spot?

If we get 150 plates the total cost will be $1625 or $10.83 each. I think 150 is a good number. If we use 100 in the goodie bags, I am sure we can sell the others to people who want an extra or people who can not attend the event.

The 1st year a color progression was agreed on for the next several WWC's. This year the color should be yellow. My illustrations above are just example of a few options. Whatever our graphic guy thinks is OK by me.

If we do get 150 plates - do we want them all with individual numbers or do we want WCC or 914 or 06 or whatever on a few each. We could also auction (or use for prizes) the low number 1 --> 9 plates.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jan 7 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

as promised ages ago...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 7 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #19

John I think 150 is a good number. Are we charging the same amount for each of the spots??Also do remember what the spot costs were from WCC 1 and 2??
Someone pick the color, I am okay with their choice.
Numbers should be #1 to 150, everyone has their favorite. We tried to give them what they wanted unless it was already spoken for.
I like $500 for a spot, that will more than pay for the plates, right??
Jeroen the design looks perfect.
Craig
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jan 8 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #20

ELVIRA

Excellent J man. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif)
We are working if full color on this project so highlights, texture and the sponsors logos can be done any way we want.

All 150 different consecutive numbers sounds good.

At $500 a pop we should be able to sell all 6 spots in no time.
That would give us 3 grand in the kitty. If we spend $1625 on the plates. (and then sell the 50 extras at 10 bucks each = $500) That leaves us with $1875 to help pay for whatever for the WCC.

As far as colors - I like the white base and yellow swoopy 914 logo and black highlights. The sponsors logos would be in a variety of colors. I think blue embossed numbers would look good.

I'm not sure what the Sponsors places cost for the WCC #1 plate. I think it was $500 each. This type of offering was not done at the 2nd WCC.

Sure. Make all the spots the same price. Why not?
It's easier that way. First come - first served.
** (which place does Camp 914 want?)

Thanks again for the art Jeroen. That should be more than enough to work with for now. I will let you know exactly what I need after I talk to my guy.

Craig - do you have an advertising weasel to send out to shake some trees?
- offer the spots to Club members who support our 914 community first?
- make some of the places part of a larger sponsorship package with the heavy hitters?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:36 PM