Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Conversion Fuel Pump - Switch and Fuse
mmascari
post Dec 11 2021, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

When I built my 914/6 conversion I installed a pierburg fuel pump. I connected the hot from fuse panel 8 to a switch, then to a 10amp fuse then to the fuel pump. I have been blowing the 10amp fuses for some reason not sure why. Do I need a fuse between the switch and the pump? If it is recommended then is 10amp the correct size? I am thinking about just removing the switch and the fuse entirely. How are others doing this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 11 2021, 06:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 11 2021, 04:40 PM) *

When I built my 914/6 conversion I installed a pierburg fuel pump. I connected the hot from fuse panel 8 to a switch, then to a 10amp fuse then to the fuel pump. I have been blowing the 10amp fuses for some reason not sure why. Do I need a fuse between the switch and the pump? If it is recommended then is 10amp the correct size? I am thinking about just removing the switch and the fuse entirely. How are others doing this?

When I wired my brothers 914-6 conversion this is what I did.
I used the original fuel pump wire to trigger a relay which then sent power to the fuel pump. The hot wire to the relay is fused. I moved everything to the front trunk. I believe I posted pics on his build thread. Was pretty easy to do.
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Dec 11 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 11 2021, 04:03 PM) *

I used the original fuel pump wire to trigger a relay which then sent power to the fuel pump. The hot wire to the relay is fused. I moved everything to the front trunk. I believe I posted pics on his build thread. Was pretty easy to do.

I got rid of the relay board in the engine compartment. Do you have a switch in the dash?
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Dec 11 2021, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 11 2021, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 11 2021, 04:03 PM) *

I got rid of the relay board in the engine compartment. Do you have a switch in the dash?

I got rid of the relay board as well. I installed a hot start relay where the old relay board use to be. I had redone the wire harness so fuel pump wires where all moved to the front trunk. I then installed a new relay in the front trunk. Everything works as it should. Key on signals pump to trip relay and power up the fuel pump. I have two other relays next to the fuel pump. One relay will power the electric fans and a spare if ever needed. I ended up using a factory 914 relay socket. The one under the pass seat and wired it to my needs.

Pics added..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:16 PM