Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Conversion Fuel Pump - Switch and Fuse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
When I built my 914/6 conversion I installed a pierburg fuel pump. I connected the hot from fuse panel 8 to a switch, then to a 10amp fuse then to the fuel pump. I have been blowing the 10amp fuses for some reason not sure why. Do I need a fuse between the switch and the pump? If it is recommended then is 10amp the correct size? I am thinking about just removing the switch and the fuse entirely. How are others doing this?
Luke M
QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 11 2021, 04:40 PM) *

When I built my 914/6 conversion I installed a pierburg fuel pump. I connected the hot from fuse panel 8 to a switch, then to a 10amp fuse then to the fuel pump. I have been blowing the 10amp fuses for some reason not sure why. Do I need a fuse between the switch and the pump? If it is recommended then is 10amp the correct size? I am thinking about just removing the switch and the fuse entirely. How are others doing this?

When I wired my brothers 914-6 conversion this is what I did.
I used the original fuel pump wire to trigger a relay which then sent power to the fuel pump. The hot wire to the relay is fused. I moved everything to the front trunk. I believe I posted pics on his build thread. Was pretty easy to do.
mmascari
QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 11 2021, 04:03 PM) *

I used the original fuel pump wire to trigger a relay which then sent power to the fuel pump. The hot wire to the relay is fused. I moved everything to the front trunk. I believe I posted pics on his build thread. Was pretty easy to do.

I got rid of the relay board in the engine compartment. Do you have a switch in the dash?
Luke M
QUOTE(mmascari @ Dec 11 2021, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Dec 11 2021, 04:03 PM) *

I got rid of the relay board in the engine compartment. Do you have a switch in the dash?

I got rid of the relay board as well. I installed a hot start relay where the old relay board use to be. I had redone the wire harness so fuel pump wires where all moved to the front trunk. I then installed a new relay in the front trunk. Everything works as it should. Key on signals pump to trip relay and power up the fuel pump. I have two other relays next to the fuel pump. One relay will power the electric fans and a spare if ever needed. I ended up using a factory 914 relay socket. The one under the pass seat and wired it to my needs.

Pics added..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.