Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PMB restoration, Resto so far…guys doing a great job..
VaccaRabite
post Jan 5 2024, 08:09 AM
Post #61

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Jan 2 2024, 11:59 PM) *

..this is the point I had a hiccup..after understanding I was getting a lot more power/performance with the motor rebuild I thought it would be prudent for me to add an oil cooler. Unfortunately, this realization came after I had it painted the car! So, here we go cutting up some nicely newly painted metal…oops

Hey Frankie - its water under the bridge at this point but you did not need to do that cutting.

I have one of Eric's 2.3i engines in my car. I have a simple Setrab oil cooler in the car under the rear trunk. It keeps my oil temps well in check. i have the fan pack I can put on if needed, but I'll take 200 miles on hot humid summer days this summer and oil never got above 220 with the passive setup. With the fan packs it never got above 115. Zero cutting needed for this setup. Its simple, and its effective. The Setrab /NASCAR cooler is a bit more expensive then the cheaper coolers on the market. But no metal work, no complicated plumbing, and a fully usable front trunk.

You already have the metalwork done, so it does not make sense to take that back. BUT you can stop there if you want and keep the entire front trunk for storage. I've found this to be helpful for taking trips in the car with my GF.

By the way, you are going to love the engine. Its the same amount of power as a 2.7 /6, but minus about 100 pounds.

Food for thought.
Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 5 2024, 11:25 AM
Post #62

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cool build thread for sure. Probably my favorite colors on 914's are the blues.

Looks good!
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 10 2024, 05:58 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 17,945
Region Association: Northern California

So went over the prep work for the interior/cabin this morning (thanks Tom!)Being the weirdly OCD guy i am and because I decided a while ago not to go with carpets and a back pad we decided to do a beauty panel over the tranny tunnel from the console box forward. Just wondering if anyone else out there has done this and if so if they could share some pics. I know some of you will suggest just putting in the appearance package gauge console, but I prefer the more open look and am going to mount the gauges in THOROTEC’s gauge pod in the dash.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jan 11 2024, 01:50 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Jan 10 2024, 04:58 PM) *

So went over the prep work for the interior/cabin this morning (thanks Tom!)Being the weirdly OCD guy i am and because I decided a while ago not to go with carpets and a back pad we decided to do a beauty panel over the tranny tunnel from the console box forward. Just wondering if anyone else out there has done this and if so if they could share some pics. I know some of you will suggest just putting in the appearance package gauge console, but I prefer the more open look and am going to mount the gauges in THOROTEC’s gauge pod in the dash.

Has anyone warned you about the level of noise in the cabin with a bare metal interior? One of my 914s that I used only for autocross for the last 15 years (the tangerine car going back together at PMB) had nothing on the interior but the door panels and the center carpet piece covering the tunnel/wiring. It was a very harsh experience. So much so that now that I am rebuilding it its getting full carpet AND added sound deadening even though I still plan on autocrossing it. For me the comfort is worth a little bit of added weight. Having 914s with bare metal interior, full interior, and full interior with added sound deadening I can say that there is noticeable difference in the feel and comfort level the further you move from bare metal.
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jan 12 2024, 03:41 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 17,945
Region Association: Northern California

Hi James, yes. You are not the first person to mention this. However, I run my FD3S the same way and it does not bother me in the least. Maybe I am a little more deaf! LOL. I figure worse comes to worse I can always take the route you are doing and add that stuff down the road.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:40 AM