Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> H4 Headlights
FlacaProductions
post Jan 12 2022, 10:29 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I have the 914rubber globes and LEDs in daylight/5600k and switched my driving/fog lights to a matching color temp led but the Retrobright in classic white/3000k is interesting. hypothetically, a totally retro/classic/original appearance with modern output.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 12 2022, 10:38 AM
Post #22

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 12 2022, 07:36 AM) *

I installed VintageCar LED headlamps 2 yrs. ago after seeing demo at Okteenerfest. It was an easy plug and play swap, but the improvement in lighting was outstanding, and they look very much like the H4s I replaced. I believe it was the model 3500 they offer that I purchased, a very worthwhile upgrade for any teeners driven in darkness! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I’ve been looking at these. Currently $270 for a pair of bulbs and Hella lenses. Were these just plug and play?
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 12 2022, 11:21 AM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 12 2022, 09:38 AM) *

I installed VintageCar LED headlamps 2 yrs. ago after seeing demo at Okteenerfest. It was an easy plug and play swap, but the improvement in lighting was outstanding, and they look very much like the H4s I replaced. I believe it was the model 3500 they offer that I purchased, a very worthwhile upgrade for any teeners driven in darkness! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

I’ve been looking at these. Currently $270 for a pair of bulbs and Hella lenses. We’re these just plug and play?

mine were literally plug and play
took minutes to install...
longer to align
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jan 12 2022, 11:45 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 12 2022, 08:38 AM) *

I’ve been looking at these. Currently $270 for a pair of bulbs and Hella lenses. Were these just plug and play?

Yes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jan 12 2022, 06:52 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

LED's are a huge improvement, I agree on the aesthetic even though they're pop-ups. I had the VintageCarLED's on my /4 ( https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc3500-classic-kit/ ) I sold and it was a big difference. I put some amazon LED's into the Hella H4's on the /6 and they're pretty good but they have a control box of sorts on the wiring from the bulb to the harness and I've noticed that it sometimes gets caught a little behind the light when they go back down because it's getting pinched back there. I like those Holley's and the fact that the light looks very retro yet has a redesigned lens pattern and the very simple pig tail is pretty compelling. I just ordered some because of this thread, but they're on back order for another month so we'll see when they get here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Warren914
post Jan 13 2022, 06:41 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 25,265
Region Association: Canada

My car has Hella glass H4 lenses already. Is the only thing required at that point a suitable LED bulb to fit in place? Any suggested type or size?

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 12 2022, 09:36 AM) *

+Quote Post
Jamie
post Jan 13 2022, 08:06 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Warren914 @ Jan 13 2022, 04:41 AM) *

My car has Hella glass H4 lenses already. Is the only thing required at that point a suitable LED bulb to fit in place? Any suggested type or size?

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jan 12 2022, 09:36 AM) *

The H4's I replaced were sealed beam lamps, no interchangeable bulbs. The LED replacements were just the same size, I don't remember if they had separate bulbs as they arrived as a single piece unit, just as the lamps replaced. They fit the original light housings without any extra modifications. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 13 2022, 08:24 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

VintageLEDs went on the silver car i sold and they are awesome. Got the H4 kit and was extremely simple and they look pretty right to the casual observer. The light difference is immense and consider it a safety improvement of the first order
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 15 2022, 09:49 AM
Post #29

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

When I built my six conversion, I put in the 914-6 style column. The turn signal switch is also the dimmer switch, and carries the whole load of the headlights. I was planning on putting in H4 headlights with really big bulbs, so I ran a new fused power lead all the way to each headlight, and put in relays to turn on the headlights. That lowered the amp load on the dimmer switch to just what was required to trigger the relays. Then I put in the brightest halogen bulb I could get. It was substantially better than the original sealed beam lights.

We also had H4 halogen lights in Betty's car, but with the lowest wattage bulb. When 914 Rubber offered the LED conversion kits for the H4 lights, I put a set in her car.

The difference was (pun intended) night and day. The headlights were so much more effective, and the amp load on the alternator went way down. Parked next to my six conversion, the LED lights were visibly brighter. So we put a set in my six conversion.

Now I have all the fancy wiring for high load bulbs, and I really don't need it.

We were so impressed, we even put a set of the H4 conversion bulbs in the factory six.

Clay
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Jan 15 2022, 10:46 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

I too HAVE the GE Nighthawks. However, I first installed period correct EVERYTHING and then we to the H4's with Halogens.....extra power with a relay kit. Still not good enough........Soooooooo, I found a pair of Nighthawks ($$$$$) that were still in the box new and installed. Wow,

I am this weekend installing LED's in the dash. When I was in my 20's I did not notice how dim the dash was, perhaps because I did not care.......but now I need more Lumens........much more......

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 11 2022, 12:22 PM) *

I had the GE Nighthawk lights in my car and they performed exceptionally well. The only reason I swapped to the H4 LED kit is I wanted the car to look as stock as possible. The performance of the GE lights was amazing. My LED's are good, but not as good as the Nighthawks were. For the few times I drive the car at night, I am fine with the H4 LED's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 15 2022, 11:59 AM
Post #31

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jan 15 2022, 11:46 AM) *

I too HAVE the GE Nighthawks. However, I first installed period correct EVERYTHING and then we to the H4's with Halogens.....extra power with a relay kit. Still not good enough........Soooooooo, I found a pair of Nighthawks ($$$$$) that were still in the box new and installed. Wow,

I am this weekend installing LED's in the dash. When I was in my 20's I did not notice how dim the dash was, perhaps because I did not care.......but now I need more Lumens........much more......

I had the GE Nighthawk lights in my car and they performed exceptionally well. The only reason I swapped to the H4 LED kit is I wanted the car to look as stock as possible. The performance of the GE lights was amazing. My LED's are good, but not as good as the Nighthawks were. For the few times I drive the car at night, I am fine with the H4 LED's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I’m a bit different. I love the nighthawk led lights but keep the gauge lights dim. I prefer it like that in all my cars. Bright dash lights bother me.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jan 15 2022, 01:12 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 15 2022, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Jan 15 2022, 11:46 AM) *

I’m a bit different. I love the nighthawk led lights but keep the gauge lights dim. I prefer it like that in all my cars. Bright dash lights bother me.

Maybe the answer is in here somewhere and I didn't catch it.
I replaced my sealed beams with Cibie Z-beam housings and H4 halogen 40+ years ago (probably illegal at the time...). One bulb finally went out about 2 years ago and I replaced both with 9003/HB2/H4 60/55w bulbs.
I don't drive much at night, but really like the Z-beam cutoff on low. Is there a straight LED bulb replacement? white 5000k preferred. This is a factory -6 if that makes a difference. No fog lights (yet..)
+Quote Post
danimal16
post Oct 21 2022, 02:20 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 14,202

I installed the 914 Rubber H4 LED kit. What a difference in light. I had to remove them at this time and go back to regular H4 lights.

The problem that I am having with the 914 H4 LED bulbs is related to the combination of running the low beams with the fog lights. When low beams are on AND then turn on the fogs, I blow the low beam fuses. The brights still work.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 21 2022, 02:26 PM
Post #34

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Does anyone have issues with LED's freezing up or allowing snow to build up? I tried to run LED's on our Jeep TJ once and was shocked how fast they built up frost and became useless. I swapped them out for Hella H4's (run those on my Bug and 914 as well).

Seems like you need some heat on the glass if you do any cold weather driving, right?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 21 2022, 04:26 PM
Post #35

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I see Vintage Car LED's have upgraded their 7" headlights to a better bulb that eliminates the separate power module, apparently. Just saying.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Oct 21 2022, 04:49 PM
Post #36

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 21 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Does anyone have issues with LED's freezing up or allowing snow to build up? I tried to run LED's on our Jeep TJ once and was shocked how fast they built up frost and became useless. I swapped them out for Hella H4's (run those on my Bug and 914 as well).

Seems like you need some heat on the glass if you do any cold weather driving, right?

Yes, Dan. Have LED units in our '78 Bronco. When it is snowing, I have to stop every 20 minutes or so to clear off the lenses. I imagine its no different with 98% of the aftermarket housings. 0 heat output forward to the lens. Truck-Lite does offer replacement units that have a heated lens... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 21 2022, 06:41 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 21 2022, 02:26 PM) *

If you are worried about snow buildup on your 914 headlights, then you have bigger huevos than me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I've said it before and will say it again. I'm not a fan of throwing LED bulbs into halogen housings unless you know what you are doing to make sure the beam pattern isn't changed. Too many dipshits on the road blinding oncoming traffic out there already.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 21 2022, 08:44 PM
Post #38

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2022, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 21 2022, 02:26 PM) *

If you are worried about snow buildup on your 914 headlights, then you have bigger huevos than me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I've said it before and will say it again. I'm not a fan of throwing LED bulbs into halogen housings unless you know what you are doing to make sure the beam pattern isn't changed. Too many dipshits on the road blinding oncoming traffic out there already.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Oct 22 2022, 07:06 AM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

These are ones my sons 944 has and they are amazing and inexpensive. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 22 2022, 10:15 AM
Post #40

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Oct 21 2022, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 21 2022, 01:26 PM) *

Yes, Dan. Have LED units in our '78 Bronco. When it is snowing, I have to stop every 20 minutes or so to clear off the lenses. I imagine its no different with 98% of the aftermarket housings. 0 heat output forward to the lens. Truck-Lite does offer replacement units that have a heated lens... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

In the case of our Jeep, it was frost not snow. Figured if LED lights would frost up, don't use them. Don't drive my 914 in snow, but certainly drive in cold weather.

Adding heaters makes sense.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:41 PM