Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> H4 Headlights
Superhawk996
post Oct 22 2022, 10:32 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2022, 08:41 PM) *

Too many dipshits on the road blinding oncoming traffic out there already.

A lot of them are new cars. Either running on high beams out of ignorance or auto dimming that doesn’t always dim properly.

Not just a LED problem.

You can’t fix stupid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 22 2022, 01:27 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 22 2022, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2022, 08:41 PM) *

Too many dipshits on the road blinding oncoming traffic out there already.

A lot of them are new cars. Either running on high beams out of ignorance or auto dimming that doesn’t always dim properly.

Not just a LED problem.

You can’t fix stupid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

True, but a lot of them I've wanted to shoot out were obvious retrofits. LEDs don't emit light the same way as halogen and if they aren't tailored correctly to the housing, they can scatter light all over the place. There are retrofit LEDs that are well-engineered to match the halogen bulb they are intended to replace, but a lot of them are not. Just going by whatever bulbs are the brightest is not the way to do it. When I was looking for retrofit bulbs, I gave up and decided to just buy complete DOT LED units.

I agree that new cars can be a problem, especially some of the first to use LED. Seems like very recent cars have gotten it dialed in. We recently rented a BMW X3 on a trip to Colorado. Never drove a car I hated more. I cannot emphasize how much I hated that car. But one thing I was really impressed by were the headlights. Threw plenty of light on the road but had the most absolute and precisely located cutoff I've ever seen. Really nice.

I little off topic but yesterday I was sitting behind some bigass new pickup at a traffic light in my 914. There were two rear facing lights built into the rear bumper that are probably intended as work lights. This ass-fuck kept turning them on and of course, his bumper was about exactly eye level for me. So he blinded the shit out of me in broad daylight. There is no shortage of dickheads.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Oct 22 2022, 04:29 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2022, 05:41 PM) *

I've said it before and will say it again. I'm not a fan of throwing LED bulbs into halogen housings unless you know what you are doing to make sure the beam pattern isn't changed. Too many dipshits on the road blinding oncoming traffic out there already.

Count me in your camp.

One LED vendor sent me the right bulbs in the wrong housings, then told me to just keep the bulbs and put them in my existing H4s—admitting there's nothing different or special about its "premium" H4 housings for its LED bulbs. Its website sure "led" (sorry… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ) me to believe the H4 housings it sold were somehow matched to the LED bulbs, and also left me thinking the company developed its own bulbs—which is funny, because what looked like the very same bulbs less a stenciled logo were available on Amazon for $29~/pair iirc.

My hangup is wanting modern LED performance and efficiency (less heat, less draw, less stress) with vintage looks…even when the lights are up. None I've seen did that, until I spotted these…but they aren't cheap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-lfrb...AyABEgKsjPD_BwE
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 22 2022, 04:40 PM
Post #44

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

My only question for those is how far out does the face of the light protrude? They look similar in protrusion to the GE Nighthawks I had. Ultimately, someone has to buy a set and try the fitment. I like the look of the whole unit aside from that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 22 2022, 06:17 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 22 2022, 04:29 PM) *

My hangup is wanting modern LED performance and efficiency (less heat, less draw, less stress) with vintage looks…even when the lights are up. None I've seen did that, until I spotted these…but they aren't cheap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

That actually isn't a bad price for LED assemblies. Not much more than I paid for my Truck-lites a couple years ago and less than I would have to pay today.

@Cairo94507 I always thought the Truck-Lite and GE Nighthawks were the same lights but maybe not. My Truck-Lites were plug and play with no fitment issues at all.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 22 2022, 06:33 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 22 2022, 10:15 AM) *

In the case of our Jeep, it was frost not snow. Figured if LED lights would frost up, don't use them. Don't drive my 914 in snow, but certainly drive in cold weather.

Adding heaters makes sense.

I was just giving you a hard time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I used to drive my 914s in the snow every year. They are actually pretty good snow cars and the only car I've owned that I could push the stuck car out of the snow while sitting in the driver's seat. Now that the car is worth something, those snow driving days are over, but I do drive in cold weather. Haven't had any issues with the LEDs fogging so far here in balmy southern Montana. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Nov 28 2022, 12:05 AM
Post #47

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(iankarr @ Jan 11 2022, 06:42 PM) *

I put LED's in both of my 914s and the difference is amazing. I made a video of the install...and there's a scene showing the before/after...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTa0JSenk0

Ian, you mentioned a link to your video about installing the resistors for the fog lights to work. Please post it, I don't see it.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Nov 28 2022, 09:25 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 22 2022, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2022, 05:41 PM) *

I've said it before and will say it again. I'm not a fan of throwing LED bulbs into halogen housings unless you know what you are doing to make sure the beam pattern isn't changed. Too many dipshits on the road blinding oncoming traffic out there already.

Count me in your camp.

One LED vendor sent me the right bulbs in the wrong housings, then told me to just keep the bulbs and put them in my existing H4s—admitting there's nothing different or special about its "premium" H4 housings for its LED bulbs. Its website sure "led" (sorry… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ) me to believe the H4 housings it sold were somehow matched to the LED bulbs, and also left me thinking the company developed its own bulbs—which is funny, because what looked like the very same bulbs less a stenciled logo were available on Amazon for $29~/pair iirc.

Interesting that they class 3000K as "white" when it is close to the standard of "warm" rather than white. I wonder how the actual output cut-off beam looks in real life? Dang its so nice to have the World back!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kerensky
post Nov 28 2022, 05:33 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 5,508
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 21 2022, 06:41 PM) *

While I completely agree with the reasoning here, I'm not sure our beloved 'teeners sit high enough to blind anyone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Well, other sports cars excepted of course...
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 28 2022, 10:02 PM
Post #50

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

let there be light!

LED done by PMB PERFORMANCE

Bob BAttached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Nov 29 2022, 05:49 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 29 2022, 04:02 PM) *

let there be light!

LED done by PMB PERFORMANCE

Bob BAttached Image

Wow thats bright (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) ,I have euro h4's and they work pretty well but can't find more powerful lamps @ this stage but want to go to 60/100 ,had led conversion which was very bright however the beam was very wide and scattered so IMO they don't work without the correct housing ,then found out they are non compliant in my country if the car you own never came with them,another crazy law but for once I agree.
As much as I would like the larger lamps I think it is important to see what the extra load would be ?,suggestions would be welcome ,cheers.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 29 2022, 06:46 PM
Post #52

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

let there be light

Bob B

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:03 PM