Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's my 72 1.7L worth?, Helping the in-laws
jkb081
post Feb 7 2022, 01:10 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,018
Region Association: Northern California

Its a shame you do not want this car. Given its family history, and you growing up with it. Also the fact that it was garage kept, and not left to rot away as so many others have been. However, we all have our own version of what is important to us. If I had the means, I would buy it in a heart beat. You have been given a lot of really good information. Some of it I feel is way over kill. Example: changing out all fuel lines, removing the fuel tank, etc., etc. I have purchased many vehicles that have sat unused for multiple years. None of them have ever caught fire!!! Most have started with simple tune up things, like new wires, plugs, distributer cap and rotor, change of oil, fresh gas. Drove them for years with no problems. I recently purchased a 73 1.7 rust bucket. God only knows how long its been sitting. The engine compartment was stuffed full of leaves, you can see the road though the floor. Guess what, without any work at all, it fired right up!! No leaks! Not even oil from the engine! After I got it home, I changed out all the basic tune up stuff I mentioned.Thats not to say the car still needs a lot of work. Mainly cosmetic. By the way, the brakes are great also, nice high, hard pedal. Had some lighting issues, fixed that. Its drivable now. Im just saying your car appears to be "Plug and Play" from the pictures I've seen. I would sell "as is" The people that would be interested in buying it, are not buying it because its a "smart buy" or reliable, nothing could be further from the truth. Even if you threw $30, $40,000 at it, it still would need basic annual, or monthly maintenance. they are buying because they love this model. Most VW Porsche owners do all their own maintenance. Just my thoughts, Wish you the best.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 7 2022, 02:50 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(EricL @ Feb 6 2022, 07:39 PM) *

Front Trunk:

in that photo.........
I'm looking fair at a dunlop SP57 spare tyre.
original, unobtainable for years.
i had those on my car 30 odd years ago when i bought it.
don't let anyone try and buy that separately and keep it with the car.
these things should all stay together.

rust the car may have.
but it is a highly intact original car looking at those photos.

you need to get the brain unbolted from the battery tray and peer down at the top of the long there. (the hell hole).

some-one interested in restoring a car ought to be very interested in that one.
ok it might have work to do on it, but its degradation has been in slow slow motion.
well preserved in a lot of the right spots.

the drivers sill is of concern. but you know ........ .

if i lived in the USA i would be knocking on your door to take a good look over that one.
------------

its a testament to your father in law.
he preserved it (and drove it) and never let it go.
he obviously loved it.
its remarkable that some of these cars made it to this point - 50 years later, in this kind of state. i don't think 356s did, you never found those cars 1/2 a century later like this.
and there are other 914s like this.
they got pooh poohed, slammed as not real porsches etc and yet, they were loved and looked after................now the proof is in the pudding.

i think thats a very good car.
to get this far in that condition.
faults and all whatever they are.
but i'm only looking at photos.
still.........
+Quote Post
EricL
post May 2 2023, 03:50 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 26,260
Region Association: None

So, I finally got the car diving. New injectors, fuel pump and fuel line plus some vacuum hoses and related parts did the trick. Running strong now. Will be putting up for sale soon. Thinking the price will be around $14k.

If anyone in the Seattle area wants to stop by take a look before I list it, let me know. Car is in Bellevue near I-90.

Cheers,

E
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:04 PM