Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.8L L-Jet to 2056, what can I use?
Rob-O
post Feb 5 2022, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,419
Region Association: Southwest Region

Have a few threads about my engine dying, but wanted to ask this in a separate thread. Currently a 1.8L but want to do a 2056. If I buy a 2056 long block, I assume I can use all of my L-Jet. But I have questions:

1. Exhaust from my 1.8L will all fit and can stay, correct? I'm almost certain exhaust port spacing is the same on all engines for our cars.

2. I would need new upper engine tins since the spark plug location is different. Or do I plug and redrilll the 1.8L tins?

3. Do the rest of the tins from the 1.8L work?

4. If I use 2.0L upper tins, did they have a stanchion to attach a fuel pressure regulator?

5. I thought 1.8L FI runners have four bolts where they meet the head and 2.0L have three. Do I just drill the 1.8L runners for the third bolt (is there even room for that)?

6. Are the lengths and positions of the L-Jet runners even compatible with the 2.0L?

Anything else I'm missing?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 5 2022, 12:44 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just use what you have. Get a 2 liter crank and rods. Build the 2056 from there. 912E engine was a 2.0 with L Jet. L-jet may need a little tuning, not sure on that part. 1.8 heads are good to use.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Feb 5 2022, 01:43 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 5 2022, 10:18 AM) *
Have a few threads about my engine dying, but wanted to ask this in a separate thread. Currently a 1.8L but want to do a 2056. If I buy a 2056 long block, I assume I can use all of my L-Jet. But I have questions:
1. Exhaust from my 1.8L will all fit and can stay, correct? I'm almost certain exhaust port spacing is the same on all engines for our cars. Sure
2. I would need new upper engine tins since the spark plug location is different. Yes
3. Do the rest of the tins from the 1.8L work? Yes
4. If I use 2.0L upper tins, did they have a stanchion to attach a fuel pressure regulator? Yes
5. I thought 1.8L FI runners have four bolts where they meet the head and 2.0L have three. Do I just drill the 1.8L runners for the third bolt (is there even room for that)?
No get a set of 2.0L intakes if your long block is equipped with 2.0L heads
6. Are the lengths and positions of the L-Jet runners even compatible with the 2.0L?
Sort of. there is some messing about youd need to do.
Anything else I'm missing? Probably
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 5 2022, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

You’ll also need to follow the manuals procedures for tuning the AFM for the proper fuel trim. I think the L-Jet is pretty adaptable, but I would still recommend checking your mixture as the injectors for a 1.8 flow less than the 2.0.
+Quote Post
nihil44
post Feb 6 2022, 03:12 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,058

If you use 3 stud 2.0 heads and 2.0 intake runners, the runners won’t line up with the 1.8 plenum. I cut the 2.0 3 stud runners and rewelded them to align with the 1.8 plenum. Not a difficult mod. I am in the process of ditching the D Jet on a 2.0 and installing LJet. Wish me luck
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 7 2022, 06:52 AM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Go find the crank and rods from a 2.0 VW Bus. There are lots out there.

Buy pistons and cylinders.

Get your 1.8 Heads rebuilt with 2.0 Stainless valves.

Find a Bus oversized throttle body. I will help you to put it together.

Buy a Raby 9590 cam kit, including the pushrods, lifters and rocker spacers.

The rest is just careful assembly.

Clay
+Quote Post
swood
post Mar 27 2022, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 251

I’m just sorting through what i have to build my 2056 Ljet. Im presuming a 2.0L throttle body wouldn’t fit the 1.8L intake runners requiring use of the 2.0L ones with a bolt pattern needing modification. Sounds right? I’d like to stick with the Ljet at first anyways
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 28 2022, 05:49 AM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(swood @ Mar 27 2022, 10:31 PM) *

I’m just sorting through what i have to build my 2056 Ljet. Im presuming a 2.0L throttle body wouldn’t fit the 1.8L intake runners requiring use of the 2.0L ones with a bolt pattern needing modification. Sounds right? I’d like to stick with the Ljet at first anyways

You do not have to use 2.0 Heads for a 2056. The 1.8 heads work fine. Just have 2.0 valves put in them. Then get a Bus throttle body to make it breathe.

The 2.0 throttle body won't fit on the 1.8L plenum, and you have to find a very rare air intake tube from a 912E to use it with the stock 2.0 plenum, and you have to change out the throttle switch assembly.

Clay
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:33 PM