Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8L L-Jet to 2056, what can I use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
Have a few threads about my engine dying, but wanted to ask this in a separate thread. Currently a 1.8L but want to do a 2056. If I buy a 2056 long block, I assume I can use all of my L-Jet. But I have questions:

1. Exhaust from my 1.8L will all fit and can stay, correct? I'm almost certain exhaust port spacing is the same on all engines for our cars.

2. I would need new upper engine tins since the spark plug location is different. Or do I plug and redrilll the 1.8L tins?

3. Do the rest of the tins from the 1.8L work?

4. If I use 2.0L upper tins, did they have a stanchion to attach a fuel pressure regulator?

5. I thought 1.8L FI runners have four bolts where they meet the head and 2.0L have three. Do I just drill the 1.8L runners for the third bolt (is there even room for that)?

6. Are the lengths and positions of the L-Jet runners even compatible with the 2.0L?

Anything else I'm missing?

914Sixer
Just use what you have. Get a 2 liter crank and rods. Build the 2056 from there. 912E engine was a 2.0 with L Jet. L-jet may need a little tuning, not sure on that part. 1.8 heads are good to use.
914werke
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Feb 5 2022, 10:18 AM) *
Have a few threads about my engine dying, but wanted to ask this in a separate thread. Currently a 1.8L but want to do a 2056. If I buy a 2056 long block, I assume I can use all of my L-Jet. But I have questions:
1. Exhaust from my 1.8L will all fit and can stay, correct? I'm almost certain exhaust port spacing is the same on all engines for our cars. Sure
2. I would need new upper engine tins since the spark plug location is different. Yes
3. Do the rest of the tins from the 1.8L work? Yes
4. If I use 2.0L upper tins, did they have a stanchion to attach a fuel pressure regulator? Yes
5. I thought 1.8L FI runners have four bolts where they meet the head and 2.0L have three. Do I just drill the 1.8L runners for the third bolt (is there even room for that)?
No get a set of 2.0L intakes if your long block is equipped with 2.0L heads
6. Are the lengths and positions of the L-Jet runners even compatible with the 2.0L?
Sort of. there is some messing about youd need to do.
Anything else I'm missing? Probably
Van B
You’ll also need to follow the manuals procedures for tuning the AFM for the proper fuel trim. I think the L-Jet is pretty adaptable, but I would still recommend checking your mixture as the injectors for a 1.8 flow less than the 2.0.
nihil44
If you use 3 stud 2.0 heads and 2.0 intake runners, the runners won’t line up with the 1.8 plenum. I cut the 2.0 3 stud runners and rewelded them to align with the 1.8 plenum. Not a difficult mod. I am in the process of ditching the D Jet on a 2.0 and installing LJet. Wish me luck
ClayPerrine
Go find the crank and rods from a 2.0 VW Bus. There are lots out there.

Buy pistons and cylinders.

Get your 1.8 Heads rebuilt with 2.0 Stainless valves.

Find a Bus oversized throttle body. I will help you to put it together.

Buy a Raby 9590 cam kit, including the pushrods, lifters and rocker spacers.

The rest is just careful assembly.

Clay
swood
I’m just sorting through what i have to build my 2056 Ljet. Im presuming a 2.0L throttle body wouldn’t fit the 1.8L intake runners requiring use of the 2.0L ones with a bolt pattern needing modification. Sounds right? I’d like to stick with the Ljet at first anyways
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(swood @ Mar 27 2022, 10:31 PM) *

I’m just sorting through what i have to build my 2056 Ljet. Im presuming a 2.0L throttle body wouldn’t fit the 1.8L intake runners requiring use of the 2.0L ones with a bolt pattern needing modification. Sounds right? I’d like to stick with the Ljet at first anyways

You do not have to use 2.0 Heads for a 2056. The 1.8 heads work fine. Just have 2.0 valves put in them. Then get a Bus throttle body to make it breathe.

The 2.0 throttle body won't fit on the 1.8L plenum, and you have to find a very rare air intake tube from a 912E to use it with the stock 2.0 plenum, and you have to change out the throttle switch assembly.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.