Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time for a new battery, What's the best choice in 2022?
targa72e
post Feb 13 2022, 01:52 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

Optima red top. Have one in all my cars. Last one I replaced was 12 years old.

john
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Feb 13 2022, 05:24 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,589

Optima Red Top is perfect and at a reasonable price. ANYTHING but a conventional wet battery! When are they going to stop making those damn things?? Once they do, the price of the newer technology will come down.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Feb 13 2022, 05:32 PM
Post #23

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Red Top 34R - 10+ years of great service. Especially if your driving the car regularly.
I keep a trickle charge on it if I’m away or not driving the car.
Only complaint is it’s heavy.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Feb 13 2022, 07:11 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 13 2022, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 13 2022, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 12 2022, 09:31 PM) *

I have this one:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/products/redtop-34-78

It was $260 from advance auto, but I also get a 10% military discount which brought it down to $250 with tax.

Hey @Van B , from the picture at your link (optima 34/78) ..with the side terminals facing towards the engine compartment, aren’t the positive and negative top posts in the wrong location to be ideal? Are you and others just “stretching” the cables over to where they need to be, or maybe just running with the side terminals towards the wheel wells ? Sorry if I’ve got that wrong, I had an optima in a 914 long ago but I’m going off memory at the moment, thanks.

Fits perfectly!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mine doesn't have the side terminals. The top terminals being located by the wheel well isn't a problem.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Feb 13 2022, 08:29 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 13 2022, 07:11 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Mine doesn't have the side terminals. The top terminals being located by the wheel well isn't a problem.

Yea and the pictures showing side terminals is what had me concerned, that in the configuration where they face the wheel wells (as Van B’s do) could possibly cause an arching if allowed to touch the chassis. Obviously though, the little plastic covers are being retained and keeping that from happening. So, just my paranoia .. though I’d be tempted to add a strip of rubber to that area.

+Quote Post
windforfun
post Feb 13 2022, 09:10 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,476

And just remember, especially with these old cars, that when you hook up jumper cables be sure to connect the negative (ground) cable last. If you hook it up first & let the positive cable touch the chassis you'll have lots of sparks. And maybe a fire if you have a fuel leak.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
L-Jet914
post Feb 13 2022, 09:11 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 15,080
Region Association: Northern California

I have a 11 year old Optima Yellow Top D34 I believe and still cranks over just fine. It fits fine with the exception of having to extending the wires a little bit as the terminals sit towards the outer fender and the hold down it comes with fits perfectly. Sits on the Schumacher 1.5A battery tender when not in use. Next battery I will be using will most likely be the Odyssey ODP-AGM96R per the vehicle look up for our 4 cylinder 914s.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Feb 13 2022, 09:31 PM
Post #28

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(targa72e @ Feb 13 2022, 11:52 AM) *

Optima red top. Have one in all my cars. Last one I replaced was 12 years old.

john

agree
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 13 2022, 10:18 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 26,011

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 13 2022, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 13 2022, 07:11 PM) *

Yea and the pictures showing side terminals is what had me concerned, that in the configuration where they face the wheel wells (as Van B’s do) could possibly cause an arching if allowed to touch the chassis. Obviously though, the little plastic covers are being retained and keeping that from happening. So, just my paranoia .. though I’d be tempted to add a strip of rubber to that area.

I wouldn’t call that paranoia. The side terminals don’t touch, the plastic completely covers them, and I have thick Ziebart coating all over the engine bay.

I do wish I had a cap that would cover the positive terminal, but no luck.
+Quote Post
Aerostatwv
post Feb 14 2022, 11:32 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,315
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This appears to be a good reference for comparing the different battery groups and sizes: https://batterygroupexpert.com/group-42-battery/

Chris

+Quote Post
Txbentleyboy
post Feb 18 2022, 08:49 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 20,498
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for all of the great information. I have decided to go for the Red Top.
+Quote Post
zoomCat
post Feb 18 2022, 11:21 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 2,526

Does anyone know if the Rennline mount for the Odyssey PC925 simply bolts it? Does the version with the disconnect switch interfere with anything? This would be for a six, so no rain tray.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Shackleford
post Feb 18 2022, 11:42 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 25,788

These are crazy expensive. But I'm tempted cause they weigh like nothing. But they are crazy expensive.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productlin...ies/automotive/
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 20 2022, 05:13 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Shackleford @ Feb 18 2022, 10:42 AM) *

These are crazy expensive. But I'm tempted cause they weigh like nothing. But they are crazy expensive.

I remain tempted, too. Gulp. No loss of performance, backup starting via push-button remote, and nearly 30 pounds lighter…

$250~ Odyssey PC925MJT: 25.3 lbs, 6.6L x 7.1W x 5H 330A CCA / 500A CA
$270~ Optima Red Top 34: 41.1 lbs, 10L x 6.9W x 7.9H 800A CCA / 1000A CA
$750 Anti-Gravity H5 30A: 11.7 lbs, 9.5W x 7W x 7.5H 1200A CA

It's a big premium for a car battery, but the PC925 requires an adapter (Rennline mount for $135-145, or fab your own). Then again, losing 30~ pounds with no loss in functionality for $350-500 would be tough/impossible to duplicate anywhere in a 914, let alone high up on one side of the car. With a six conversion, 30 pounds goes a fair way toward offsetting the heavier Mezger engine, oil tank, etc. I can't see doing it just to do it, as my Optima is still healthy, but maybe next time I need a battery…
+Quote Post
Van B
post Feb 20 2022, 06:47 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 26,011

I used race batteries for years when I raced superbikes back in the day. Back then, you could NOT, under any circumstances, keep the battery connected when storing the bike. Not so much for the fire risk but more about the drain. When the battery went dead, it could never be charged again… just wouldn’t take.
The main selling point I see here is the circuitry that disconnects the battery prior to it reaching a terminal low charge.
As for the weight savings, if you’ve already thrown out your passenger seat and radio, then you’re probably ready for this battery. If you haven’t, just admit it’s a vanity purchase and then tell us all about it once you get it installed!
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 20 2022, 08:07 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

I've looked into this DieHard (AGM) battery; does require a small bit of edge triming off off the left and right side of the battery tray. Always been a DieHard fan, also use Optima Red as well.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JoeD
post Feb 20 2022, 08:12 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 18,973
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 20 2022, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Shackleford @ Feb 18 2022, 10:42 AM) *

I remain tempted, too. Gulp. No loss of performance, backup starting via push-button remote, and nearly 30 pounds lighter…

$250~ Odyssey PC925MJT: 25.3 lbs, 6.6L x 7.1W x 5H 330A CCA / 500A CA
$270~ Optima Red Top 34: 41.1 lbs, 10L x 6.9W x 7.9H 800A CCA / 1000A CA
$750 Anti-Gravity H5 30A: 11.7 lbs, 9.5W x 7W x 7.5H 1200A CA

It's a big premium for a car battery, but the PC925 requires an adapter (Rennline mount for $135-145, or fab your own). Then again, losing 30~ pounds with no loss in functionality for $350-500 would be tough/impossible to duplicate anywhere in a 914, let alone high up on one side of the car. With a six conversion, 30 pounds goes a fair way toward offsetting the heavier Mezger engine, oil tank, etc. I can't see doing it just to do it, as my Optima is still healthy, but maybe next time I need a battery…

I bought an antigravity for my BMW e30, and it is fantastic. Weighs next to nothing, cranks like crazy, and the push-button jump start is great. It's stupid expensive but when my current optima red top in the 914 dies, I'll probably go this way...
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 20 2022, 11:40 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

An interesting read: https://www.exploringoverland.com/overland-...-worth-the-cost

Don't miss the daisy-chained AG starter batteries for field welding! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) The only thing that concerns me in a 914 application, other than cost, is the upper temperature limit for discharge—which drives some of the overlanders to move the battery out of the engine bay.

As for whether saving 30lbs is worthwhile? I remember being able to tell the difference in the way my 914 drove when there was a 90-110lb passenger (not that much different) vs a passenger closer to 150-200lbs (a lot different). I still can, and a six conversion is more like the latter than the former—so if something gets me back toward the former, color me interested. Replacing the steel trunk lids with FG or CF is also on the "hmm" list, but makes an AG battery look cheap. Past that, and maybe GT bumpers, most of the "easy" ways to save weight in a 914 start affecting function while lightening one's wallet. YMMV…
+Quote Post
vitamin914
post Feb 21 2022, 10:21 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 25,893
Region Association: Canada

Be cautious if considering an Antigravity battery. It may or may not work for you.

In the thread, > What's your volt meter reading when cruising around town?,
member raynekat, bought a 30 amp hr Antigravity and had issues with the battery supplying enough current with headlights, fogs, wipers, etc running.
His discussions with Superhawk996 are really worth reading - before spending a lot of money on a lithium battery.

I will be installing seat heaters so I know I will have extra current draw above what is standard. I was contemplating trying the Antigravity unit until I read the thread and opted instead for the Odyssey PC1200 (ODS-AGM42L). The Optima was second on my list. Thanks to these guys I think I avoided making the wrong choice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 21 2022, 11:05 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Feb 21 2022, 09:21 AM) *

Be cautious if considering an Antigravity battery. It may or may not work for you.

In the thread, > What's your volt meter reading when cruising around town?,
member raynekat, bought a 30 amp hr Antigravity and had issues with the battery supplying enough current with headlights, fogs, wipers, etc running.
His discussions with Superhawk996 are really worth reading - before spending a lot of money on a lithium battery.

I will be installing seat heaters so I know I will have extra current draw above what is standard. I was contemplating trying the Antigravity unit until I read the thread and opted instead for the Odyssey PC1200 (ODS-AGM42L). The Optima was second on my list. Thanks to these guys I think I avoided making the wrong choice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Great input—thank you, and will find and read that thread.

I've gone to LED brake boards (big deal) and am contemplating LED headlights, but also seat heaters and a small electric heater to clear the windshield and/or keep my feet warm in lieu of heat exchangers. There's no radio in the car right now, but that will likely change. Nothing crazy, and no head unit but most likely a small JL amp.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:56 PM