Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pseudo 914 build thread
Front yard mechanic
post Feb 19 2022, 09:10 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Is it possible to put the engine back in? If so maybe you can arrange another fire to finish it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) just kidding start fixing the rust one spot at a time and in about 5 years you'll have a very nice 914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zaffer
post Feb 19 2022, 12:24 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,343
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah, hopefully not! Hopefully I'll be taking it back home later on this year once a floor is poured. If that happens, it'll allow me quicker access to the car so I can actually work more on it. Believe me, I'll be triple checking all fuel related components to make sure that doesn't happen again!
+Quote Post
Zaffer
post Apr 16 2022, 07:37 AM
Post #23

It’s been a minute since my last post as I had to shelve the car for a little while. I look at it everyday I’m at work, which doesn’t help.

About a month ago the seal in my torque converter on my DD 325iT went one morning on my way in to work. Because of this, it’s moving up my manual conversion on it. I have everything for it already, just been waiting for the Autotragic to go out. We’ll, I also have a 3.0L engine to swap in and get rid of the 2.5L, but like everything else, I decided to rebuild the engine before installing it since “it’s out and a perfect time to do so”! These engines are known for burning oil at higher mileage due to a ring design, so decided to take care of that, time sert the block (another known issue) and, since I was down that far, let’s do a full rebuild, which is where I am now.

The engine is just getting to where I can start reassembly, just need to plasti-gauge the main and rod bearings then reassembly.

In short, until I get this car back on the road, the 914 gets pushed off, but HOPEFULLY only for another month or so! I’ll update this post once things get going again!

Thanks for the advice so far and I’m sure I’ll need more as I dive back in! This is a great community and I’m proud to be a part of it!
+Quote Post
Zaffer
post May 16 2023, 01:45 PM
Post #24

After throwing the car up for sale and doing a lot of thinking during that time, I have decided to keep the car. While I was taking lots of pictures of it, it got me thinking that the car really isn't in bad shape and I should give it another shot. That being said, I cut out the two main spots of rust through on the passenger long to have a look inside and see what nastiness was in store. To my surprise, it's not as bad as I thought. The rear section, where it turns up, had a LOT of mud dauber nests and sand, and definitely some rust, but the more interesting thing is that the repair that was done to it was essentially welding patch panels in place OVER the rusty metal. I found this out when I was cutting out the bad bit and went through two layers of metal, the second layer containing the original color on it. It was done well, but I think this contributed to the rust through.

I tool pictures of what I found, as best as I could using my phone. Looking down the long, there is definitely rust, but not to the extent I was fearing, but it still might necessitate a complete removal and install so I can get to the existing surface rust and mitigate that. The rust behind the triangle seems to be relegated to just that area, but again, would like some opinions. The pictures aren't great, but it's the best I could do with what I had.

The first three pictures are looking down the long, towards the front, and up the 1/4 panel towards the sail panel. The rust looks bad, but is mostly surface.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

The last 3 pictures are taken from the triangle section and the one with the spec of light in it is looking towards the back of the car.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Zaffer
post May 17 2023, 06:36 AM
Post #25

Given what I’m seeing, it looks like it might be best to remove the outer rocker in order to gain access to the inner portion and treat the rust. Not something I’m looking forward to, but I don’t want to have to do this again, plus I do t want any of the inner panels to develop cancer down the road.

On another note, does anyone have a panel to replace the rotted one pictured? RD doesn’t make one.

Attached Image

The rust repair on the rocker will most likely be put on hold until I can get a pad poured in my garage, but I will continue to strip it down and repair other areas.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 17 2023, 07:11 AM
Post #26

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Zaffer @ May 17 2023, 07:36 AM) *

Given what I’m seeing, it looks like it might be best to remove the outer rocker in order to gain access to the inner portion and treat the rust. Not something I’m looking forward to, but I don’t want to have to do this again, plus I do t want any of the inner panels to develop cancer down the road.

On another note, does anyone have a panel to replace the rotted one pictured? RD doesn’t make one.

Attached Image

The rust repair on the rocker will most likely be put on hold until I can get a pad poured in my garage, but I will continue to strip it down and repair other areas.

Is that the panel in the front behind the bumper?

I talked to the Restoration Design guys at the Carlile swap meet. They told me they have the panel for behind the bumper in process now. I don't know the release date.

+Quote Post
Zaffer
post May 20 2023, 04:52 AM
Post #27

I emailed them last year about that panel and they told me they didn’t have it. I wonder if there were more inquiries other than mine that possibly prompted them to develop it? Not sure how common of a rust area it is, but wouldn’t surprise me if it is due to lack of protection from road debris/chemicals.

I’ll check with them to see if they have an ETA. I used to go to Carlisle, it haven’t been in 7-8 years as it’s usually the same weekend as my anniversary.

Thanks!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 12:57 AM