Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front trunk inner seal causing trunk to "bow", I know there's a thread on this, can't find it.
Root_Werks
post Mar 17 2022, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Front trunk aligns and closes with good gaps. Install the main outer seal, still good. Install the seal between fuel tank area and spare tire area and the trunk will bow.

I pulled the inner seal out for now. Used a scope camera and can see what looks like a pretty even 1/4" gap with inner seal removed. Use the camera again with inner seal installed and I can see the trunk rest down on the seal, but not compress it enough.

It's a 914Rubber seal. Same front to back, rear trunk seal seems just fine.

Any experience with this? Anyone?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 17 2022, 03:53 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 17 2022, 02:27 PM) *

Front trunk aligns and closes with good gaps. Install the main outer seal, still good. Install the seal between fuel tank area and spare tire area and the trunk will bow.

I pulled the inner seal out for now. Used a scope camera and can see what looks like a pretty even 1/4" gap with inner seal removed. Use the camera again with inner seal installed and I can see the trunk rest down on the seal, but not compress it enough.

It’s a known problem. The stock seal is lower and doesn’t cause the trunk lid to bow.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sholman5
post Mar 17 2022, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Kraut burner

Member No.: 20,391
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 17 2022, 04:27 PM) *

I had the same problem. Pull the seal off and put the right side on the left and left on the right. Basically it is on backwards. Worked for me.
+Quote Post
914Mels
post Mar 17 2022, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,221
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 17 2022, 01:27 PM) *

Noticed the front hood was sitting higher after putting in the new 914 rubber seal. Tried it both ways in the channel but it's too tall. put it in a couple months ago but it's not compressing. For now I just pulled it out, I might try to modify it but not sure short of cutting the flap part of what could be done. The front edge fits fine on the bumper.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 17 2022, 05:32 PM
Post #5

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914Mels @ Mar 17 2022, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Mar 17 2022, 01:27 PM) *

Noticed the front hood was sitting higher after putting in the new 914 rubber seal. Tried it both ways in the channel but it's too tall. put it in a couple months ago but it's not compressing. For now I just pulled it out, I might try to modify it but not sure short of cutting the flap part of what could be done. The front edge fits fine on the bumper.

Yup, same here, might wind up getting a universal seal that's softer and shorter or more shallow.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:00 AM