Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Floor Insulation
PaulFV8
post Mar 28 2022, 07:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,562
Region Association: None

I scraped off the floor sound insulation looking for more rust. It’s not too bad. My question, what are people doing to replace it? Is there something that replicates this material? Apologies, I’m sure this is covered already somewhere but I don’t have much luck with the search tool

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Mar 28 2022, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

First Auto Atlanta sells a “tar” kit. While relatively simple to install you will probably get a variety of opinions as it tends to trap moisture once it comes in.
Personally have done it a couple of different ways. For me you should paint the metal before installing. The main problem is that getting the tar to adhere to “valleys” in floor pan.
I am just starting the ball rolling with the where to buy it. Your final decision should incorporate others experience as most will have more expertise than I.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2022, 09:43 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The original tar was good for a cheap 1960’s product. I would never use it now.
Look at lizard skin. My old shop uses it on their $200-350k builds and they are very happy with the product.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 29 2022, 03:14 AM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Upol tiltable truck bedliner works well too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 29 2022, 07:18 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

NVH treatments have come a long way. The industry still uses bake on mastic patches and/or Liquid Applied Sound Deadner (LASD) via robotics.

Constrained layer damping like Dynamat will be the most effective at reducing noise. Especially for the low frequency structural noise that will originate from the vibration of the 914 floor pan.

The downside for OEM's is that constrained layer damping is heavier (negative for fuel economy) and more expensive than spot applied LASD. Constrained layer usage is strategic. Usually used were LASD isn't enough, or cannot be applied easily by robotics.

Other Liquid Applied Sound Barrier (LASB) products are typically only effective for high frequency airborne noise sources. Products like Lizzard Skin, or bed liner sprays will help, but won't be as effective as constrained layer products. LASB's are lighter than constrained layer products and will offer some noise reduction for higher frequency airborne noise that would tend to reflect off a bare metal surface. LASB's won't do anything for low frequency structural borne noise.

Everything in life is a trade-off. Only you can decide but there are better options than the OEM tar/mastic which was prone to holding moisture under it.

Short background on NVH:
https://insights.basf.com/home/article/read...nd-lasb-systems
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Mar 29 2022, 01:11 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

Agree with the others! I just primered it, sealed it, painted it, and then put down Kilmat sound deadener.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 29 2022, 08:14 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dynamat over new paint.
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Mar 29 2022, 08:24 PM
Post #8

Found a photo of the Kilmat installed. I later took the left-over Kilmat squares/pieces and installed them into the doors. And, yes.... I DID install my vinyl roof prior to painting the exterior of my car. Don't do this!! It worked out but what a PIA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Lessons learned!!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Mar 30 2022, 08:02 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

@friethmiller : For the areas where the carpet is usually bonded to the interior, how did it go on the stick on sound deadening mat (inner long areas for example)? Same as if it was metal surface?
Thanks!
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Mar 30 2022, 08:10 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 30 2022, 09:02 AM) *

@friethmiller : For the areas where the carpet is usually bonded to the interior, how did it go on the stick on sound deadening mat (inner long areas for example)? Same as if it was metal surface?
Thanks!

I believe I used 3M spray adhesive on both the mat and the carpet. No issues at all with adhesion. The problem I have right now is that my passenger side floor mat slides on the Kilmat since it's not glued down. I'm planning on using some carpet tape once I get in there to wire in my A/C Evaporator. It's on my short list.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 30 2022, 08:14 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Spray glue - same as you would use to the sheet metal.

Constrained layer damping is butyl on bottom with thin aluminum top layer.

The butyl acts a a decoupler and mass damping absorbing energy. The top aluminum later add a constraint that helps limit the motion of the butyl increasing effectiveness vs. just a layer of raw butyl. The aluminum top layer won't come loose from the butyl.
+Quote Post
Flyinlow
post Apr 5 2022, 08:22 AM
Post #12

Flyinlow

Member No.: 24,774
Region Association: Canada

What is the name of the seam sealer that you used?
+Quote Post
mate914
post Apr 5 2022, 10:37 AM
Post #13

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

I also used UPOL, they are the suppliers to Wurth. That fact it can be tinted is great for custom jobs. I would still put down some Lizard skin for more sound cushion. I plan to do this with my next two builds. Orange 914/flairs and 2.2ES6 plus a 64 356 outlaw.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 5 2022, 12:56 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Upol gets my business here. Even comes with it's own applicator.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 5 2022, 07:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 31 2022, 03:14 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Spray glue - same as you would use to the sheet metal.

Constrained layer damping is butyl on bottom with thin aluminum top layer.

The butyl acts a a decoupler and mass damping absorbing energy. The top aluminum later add a constraint that helps limit the motion of the butyl increasing effectiveness vs. just a layer of raw butyl. The aluminum top layer won't come loose from the butyl.

Thanks for the explanation ,I used a generic butyl that I bought on a country wide auction site,happy with it because Dynamat is mental money in my country besides.
Lined the floor and used 75mm wide offcuts strips inside the doors ,made a pretty good difference so was happy,also lined the backpad with under hood sound matt but @ the end of the day well worth it but the six is bloody loud really (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .
+Quote Post
pek771
post Apr 7 2022, 09:06 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 5,175

Much like the OP, I scraped all of the 1970 sound deadener from the car (massive PITA), I primered the floor, and put down Noico 80 mil sound mats, in the doors also. I think they have butyl in them, I brushed on Second Skin Spectrum to the firewalls, and any spots I missed. I am also going to shoot everything with bedliner, both under and in the interior. That should be fairly quiet. Especially with an electric motor.

Car has zero rust, BTW. Function of sitting for 38 years on jack stands in Arizona.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 7 2022, 10:01 AM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

we have the factory duplicate kit on the shelf. We at one time had these factory insulating tar new in factory original parts bags. They were dried out but still perfect templates to make new ones, so we did. Same material exact pattern, work GREAT stick heat beat and paint just like the factory did

QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Mar 28 2022, 06:51 PM) *

I scraped off the floor sound insulation looking for more rust. It’s not too bad. My question, what are people doing to replace it? Is there something that replicates this material? Apologies, I’m sure this is covered already somewhere but I don’t have much luck with the search tool

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:37 PM