Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Annoyed at AAA, good thing the car was in my garage
mudfoot76
post Aug 2 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Currently teenerless :-(

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,814
Region Association: None

I've read many posts where other 914ers have been saved by AAA, but I just got left stranded (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mad.gif)

I called for a flatbed to come out and pick up my teener. After waiting 3 hours, the guy takes one look and says there is no safe way for him to winch the car up onto the truck. He calls someone on the phone and talks for a few minutes, then comes back and says that if I sign a damage waiver, he'll "figure out somewhere to hook on"...um, no thanks, sorry to have wasted both of our time (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do? Yes my car has that front ring underneath (and is not rusty) but the driver was reluctant to consider that as an option.

I've got plenty of beer if there is anyone in the Indy area who might be able to help me get the car running again...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 2 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

AAA tow #1 a few months ago...........
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1111891852.jpg)

and AAA tow #2 a few weeks later......

use the a-arms (doh!!!!) to pull the car up.......

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1112302382.jpg)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Aug 2 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

mine has a hook on the bottom of the front trunk that they hook onto. I can grab pics if intrested.

i always get mine flat-bed towed.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 2 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 2 2005, 06:19 PM)
mine has a hook on the bottom of the front trunk that they hook onto. I can grab pics if intrested.

i always get mine flat-bed towed.

did you read his post?? he says he knows he has that ring (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

I wouldn't trust that part unless you knew for sure the trunk floor was very solid...being back East, chances are............
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Aug 2 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #5

Sir Post-a-lot

oh....

hmm....
i guess i lucked out with a good front pan.

has anybody ever tried to pull a 914 with the rear tow eye system?
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 2 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 2 2005, 08:22 PM)
I wouldn't trust that part unless you knew for sure the trunk floor was very solid...being back East, chances are............

Come on now, don't be too hard on the little shaver, he is from Kentucky after all (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

My car does not have the typical midwest body rot, and the pictures of your car being lifted up in such a manner made my skin crawl. If that is what the guy tonight had in mind, there is no f'in way I'm signing any damage waiver (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 3 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #7

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Aug 2 2005, 08:56 PM)
I called for a flatbed to come out and pick up my teener. After waiting 3 hours, the guy takes one look and says there is no safe way for him to winch the car up onto the truck.

part of the issue is that when the car is heading up the ramp, the angle of the winch cable will want to foul (and rip) the bottom of your air dam. remove your spoiler/air dam/valence and you'll eliminate that as an issue.

if you don't need to go very far and your rear suspension is sound and front roadwheels installed, a cradle is a perfectly acceptable tow technique. they tend to roll flatbeds any time they hear the word 'Porsche' but it's not always the best method, due to the winch.
has anybody ever tried to pull a 914 with the rear tow eye system?
sure. i dragged my 6 on its shipping dolly halfway across my silty, sandy yard. bent the tow eye in the process, reminds me - i need another one. use common sense and no shock loads. when i redo my rear suspension, i'll install the lower mount tow eyes...
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 3 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Is there anything to grab onto in the front trunk? That would eliminate the air dam issue.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 3 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 3 2005, 07:41 AM)

part of the issue is that when the car is heading up the ramp, the angle of the winch cable will want to foul (and rip) the bottom of your air dam. remove your spoiler/air dam/valence and you'll eliminate that as an issue.

The air dam didn't seem to be the problem. The driver said that the front tow eye underneath the car was, in his opinion, not suited for winching the car onto the truck. I had even asked him if it was the air dam he was concerned about, and that wasn't the case.

The cradle idea might be workable. I also know a few people with lawncare businesses that have RO/RO trailers for their mowers and tractors. That will probably be the quickest solution to this problem...
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 3 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #10

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Geoff,

Uhaul auto transport or tow dolly work just fine. I have used both. Ya gotta friend with a truck? If i was closer I could give you a hand.

Edit - I have pushed many a teener up on a autotransport by myself. Wasn't easy, two people work better.

This post has been edited by itsa914: Aug 3 2005, 11:41 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Aug 3 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Been towed twice by AAA. The first time it was winched onto a flat bed with the hook under the front trunk. No problem! The second time it was with a cradle under the front wheels. The guy lifted the front end and we took it out of gear (that tow was very short 1 1/2 miles). Everything was fine both times.

Remember, these guys see Porsche on the call and most think of the wine and cheese crowd so, they are pretty nervous about hooking up. I lucked out with both drivers. The second one's mom had a 911 so they had no fear.

Dave
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 3 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Aug 3 2005, 10:25 AM)
The driver said that the front tow eye underneath the car was, in his opinion, not suited for winching the car onto the truck.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 3 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #13

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

First off....as one that has had MANY '14s and '11s on the hook....a flat bed is the ONLY way to have it towed.

Decreasing the angle of the bed dropping it onto a couple of 2x4s is the best loading method.

As to "AAA"...the guys are contractors NOT AAA....if one guy can't do it, call AAA and get another guy out there that can. ALSO, unless you are in EASTJESUSBUMFUCH nowhere....3 hours is bullshit.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/flipa.gif)
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 3 2005, 11:53 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (itsa914 @ Aug 3 2005, 12:38 PM)
Uhaul auto transport or tow dolly work just fine. I have used both. Ya gotta friend with a truck? If i was closer I could give you a hand.

Good info, and thanks for the offer....i'm just a little irritated to be paying for AAA+ specifically because of the 914 only to have them dispatch someone who was inept.

Maybe I can get AAA to cover the costs of the uhaul since they can't find a local provider who is of any assistance to me (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) I know many people with full size trucks
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 3 2005, 12:06 PM
Post #15

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

The tow hook tab on my yellow daily driver was at some point in the past used for either moving the car, or pulling a tree out of the ground. Either way, it suffered serious damage. It basically pulled out a sizeable section of floorpan as it disconnected from the body. So when I bought the car it had this huge hole in the front trunk. So I would be careful about using the front trunk tow hook.

-Tony
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Aug 3 2005, 12:13 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Aug 3 2005, 01:06 PM)
Either way, it suffered serious damage. It basically pulled out a sizeable section of floorpan as it disconnected from the body.

Argh...this is what I am afraid of happening...gots to get AAA to cover a trailer...
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Aug 3 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #17

Sir Post-a-lot

have a competient body guy look at the hook...mine said it was strong. they are there for a reason and designed to pull the car. if it broke, there is also a reason for that. just take it slow and dont use that hook to pull trees.

+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 3 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #18

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 3 2005, 10:25 AM)
have a competient body guy look at the hook...mine said it was strong. they are there for a reason and designed to pull the car. if it broke, there is also a reason for that. just take it slow and dont use that hook to pull trees.

Actually I think they were put there for tie downs during trans atlantic shipping....
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Aug 3 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #19

Sir Post-a-lot

mercedes had the same hook--and its there for towing.

i'm using the front hook, you all can pull the car with the rear hook if you want.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Aug 3 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

I had my car towed last year due to a broken throttle cable. I would have had a hard time getting the car up on the flatbed, but my V8 has enough torque to roll up onto the bed in first gear with the engine just idling. Then the second problem is tie downs. They have to carefully strap the car down through the wheels (if you have Fuchs). I don't like doing that but had no choice. I had to wait another 30 minutes for a second tow truck that could handle my car. The first truck could not do it.

Sometime I want to mount some strong hooks, one on each corner, to pull the car up on the tow truck bed and to tie it down.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:00 AM