Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Member intro/pictures/Questions!, Introducing myself, showing my car, and asking for advice
friethmiller
post Jun 14 2022, 09:32 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

I took my 1.8L to a 2375. Long story short, it was an expensive PIA. I'd either keep it at 1.7L or go to a 2056 like Ian is recommending.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 14 2022, 10:10 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Shivers, thirty years ago I did what you are doing....a tired 1.8, big bore kit, weber and cam. Maybe 110/120 hp, just a great engine and lots of fun. Now, same car built as a 914-6 GT Tribute, 2.2 S with Mod-solex cams and short gears but at a cost of 35K and lots of free labor. Have fun. MarkAttached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
B3owulf
post Jun 14 2022, 11:13 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 25,879
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 14 2022, 07:27 AM) *

@B3owulf I agree with getting the 1.7 running just so you can sort the whole car out. I am happy to work with you on all the -6 swap parts along the way. I offer package pricing along with military pricing so don't be afraid to reach out to me. I also from time to time have used stuff or 2nds on some of the products to help out with costs. www.914-6werkshop.com. Also check out my build thread on here and you will see the labor required. I do believe a small displacement -6 can be built for the 10-12 range but it will not be a fresh -6 engine. mepstein has a complete 2.2 in the classifieds right now that is very tempting just because the sum of the parts.

I saw that one in the classifieds, it is the only reason I thought it would be possible to do the 6 swap “on the cheap”. That is a very complete motor for the price. If I can get it running with carb rebuild and ignition refresh…. So tempting

But I see everyone’s point of running the 1.7 I have and then worry about making it fast later.
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Jun 14 2022, 11:40 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,061

don't know when you are being deployed but if you are here on September 15 -18 we are having our 914 "Okteenerfest" in Townsend , Tenn . If you are still here you will meet the most hard core 914 people in on the east coast and Texas . Hope to see you there. Look for the "okteenerfest post here on 914 world. Al
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 14 2022, 12:08 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I didn't read every reply but I'm with the "get it running and drive it" approach, as pointed out by others. Once you're sure you're a fan of the 914 driving experience, THEN make a decision about what mods you want, if any.
Me? I'd make it a reliable driver THEN go all in on the shift linkage, a nice steering wheel, suspension, brakes and tires.
Make it drive, handle and stop REALLY well. I have a 500hp LS swapped into my 914 and can speak from experience that more HP isn't always what you want.
Give that 1.7 a chance to put a smile on your face before you do anything else. Oh, and
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jun 14 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Congrats on your progress so far, and keep enjoying the father-son moments.

And you win the white board category. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 15 2022, 05:48 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(B3owulf @ Jun 14 2022, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 14 2022, 07:27 AM) *

@B3owulf I agree with getting the 1.7 running just so you can sort the whole car out. I am happy to work with you on all the -6 swap parts along the way. I offer package pricing along with military pricing so don't be afraid to reach out to me. I also from time to time have used stuff or 2nds on some of the products to help out with costs. www.914-6werkshop.com. Also check out my build thread on here and you will see the labor required. I do believe a small displacement -6 can be built for the 10-12 range but it will not be a fresh -6 engine. mepstein has a complete 2.2 in the classifieds right now that is very tempting just because the sum of the parts.

I saw that one in the classifieds, it is the only reason I thought it would be possible to do the 6 swap “on the cheap”. That is a very complete motor for the price. If I can get it running with carb rebuild and ignition refresh…. So tempting

But I see everyone’s point of running the 1.7 I have and then worry about making it fast later.

Mark who has the engine is a good seller.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 15 2022, 09:08 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 14 2022, 12:12 AM) *

Great looking car! Is it Ravenna Green? Awesome that you're working on it with your son.

I'd put COA 1.5 in the mix...build a 2056 with a hot cam for 5-7K, depending on what you're doing for heads. Lots of proven combinations out there.

Whichever way you decide to go, this community will be here to help. Thanks so much for your service.

I'd second the 1.5 option. I built a 2056 for under $2500 by did most of the work myself. Started with a worn out GC code 2L that had ben align bored once but probably needed it again. Had small valve bus heads, a worn out cam of unknown origin, and crusty Dell 40's.

I was able to source a torn down GA code 2L mostly complete long block with good 2L heads. I had that case align bored, crank ground u/s on main journals, case decked & fitted to new main brgs. and all oil gallerys tapped for threaded plugs. Sourced new WEB cam/lifters/gear & mod type 1 oil pump. Sourced new 96mm P & C kit, Got new SS exhaust valves to replace suspect sodium filled OE parts. Sourced dell rebuild kits & did work myself.
I did all engine assembly work myself. Engine runs strong so I'm happy. I can PM you the details if you'd like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
Barefoot
+Quote Post
slowrodent
post Jun 15 2022, 09:28 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 23,981
Region Association: Southwest Region

Good luck with the build... I think you're going to need it.. Your son looks more like an "idea guy" who will just babble on and on about the smallest things... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
914 RZ-1
post Jun 15 2022, 05:19 PM
Post #30

Porsche Padawan

Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2022, 10:07 PM) *

Get the 1.7L cleaned up and running and drive it for a while before you throw silly money at it.

You'll be surprised how much fun these cars can be with just 70HP ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+1 on this. I have a '72 1.7L and took it to a track and had a great time! I have fun on the twisty roads around here as well. Plenty of torque.

Drive it as a 1.7 for awhile and see what you think.
+Quote Post
B3owulf
post Jun 15 2022, 06:43 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 25,879
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(slowrodent @ Jun 15 2022, 10:28 AM) *

Good luck with the build... I think you're going to need it.. Your son looks more like an "idea guy" who will just babble on and on about the smallest things... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Yeah for sure! I’m just trying to get him to HOLD THE FLASHLIGHT!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Leaning towards the 2056 option right now, I can have it built while I’m gone and waiting for me when I get back.

MStill love the idea of a 6 conversation, glad I got a better idea on price before I started buying anything. Fortunately I have time to think about it, research, establish a realistic budget, and decide what I’m willing to spend.

+Quote Post
MM1
post Jun 16 2022, 02:28 AM
Post #32

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) and thank you for your service.

Andy nailed it as usual.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:29 AM