Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Member intro/pictures/Questions!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
B3owulf
Hello all, first post here. Been a member for a while but could not post for some reason. Its working now so here goes!

I have a 1973 I bought as a rolling chassis and pile of parts. It has a 1.7 engine and has been 5-lug converted. Been working on and off for about 6 months and having a lot of fun. So far have done a bit of rust repair, sent it off for paint, and started re-assembling. Pictures are below, also looking for a bit of advice.

About to put it on hold for about nine months (Im in the US Army and will be deploying) and plan on ordering engine parts so I can hopefully get it running on post deployment leave. which means I need to decide which course of action to take:

COA 1 - Approximately $1,000-$1200. Get the current 1.7 running and install as is - need to get the webers rebuilt or replaced, need ignition system, some fuel system components and a flywheel. Issue being 70hp will be way to slow.

COA 2 - Approximately $4000-$5,000. Build a larger four cylinder (2.2L-2.4L) shooting for 130-140 hp and have fun. Seems like a good possibility and is in the lead so far but I am concerned about the quality of the parts out there. Almost everything I find seems to be made in china.

COA 3 - Approximately $10000 (?) try doing a 6 cylinder swap. This is what I WANT to do but not sure how realistic $10k is to get it done. Advantage being a good running sorted out 6 cylinder will be worth a lot more and with 9 months of tax free income it is a great time to do it (maybe now or never type of thing)

Anyway looking for some advice from the experts and any input you might have. Thanks!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
mmichalik
welcome.png
Montreal914
welcome.png Very nice looking roller!

I am worries you are a little off in your COA-2 and -3... sad.gif

That larger 4 cylinder will cost more to build and converting to a six cylinder is a whole other budget. Obviously it all depends what parts you have to start with but if you are starting from scratch, figure at least double for the 4 and 2-3 times for the 6 cylinder, and I am probably on the cost efficient side.

Good luck with your project, I am sure you will get a lot of input! smile.gif
Freezin 914
welcome.png
iankarr
Great looking car! Is it Ravenna Green? Awesome that you're working on it with your son.

I'd put COA 1.5 in the mix...build a 2056 with a hot cam for 5-7K, depending on what you're doing for heads. Lots of proven combinations out there.

Whichever way you decide to go, this community will be here to help. Thanks so much for your service.
TRS63
Welcome here and a nice shell is a great start!

I love the sound of a -6 but love the lightness of a -4 so would (and will for mine) go big 4. Can't talk costs, I am in Germany with different prices..

Bests

Antoine
SirAndy
Get the 1.7L cleaned up and running and drive it for a while before you throw silly money at it.

You'll be surprised how much fun these cars can be with just 70HP ...
driving.gif

porschetub
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 14 2022, 04:12 PM) *

Great looking car! Is it Ravenna Green? Awesome that you're working on it with your son.

I'd put COA 1.5 in the mix...build a 2056 with a hot cam for 5-7K, depending on what you're doing for heads. Lots of proven combinations out there.

Whichever way you decide to go, this community will be here to help. Thanks so much for your service.

Yes you could but why not post in WTB for a good running 2.0 for 2.5 - 3.5K, to get you closer to driving.
Buy a longblock and get yours carbs rebuilt and sorted ,many people are running carbs with FI delete,sad buts thats it,pretty sure you could get 100hp with a correctly carbed 2.0 but economy is not that compared to FI.
Your other options are not on base with these days pricing,options #2 and 3 is really rather expensive but a very fun drive, but be ready to spend up large on a conversion which ever of those are chosen ,ask me how I know idea.gif .
Dave_Darling
Stock spec for the 1.7 is 80 HP on the DIN scale, so you're up 10 HP already! wink.gif

I think your cost estimates are on the low side for COA 2 and 3. COA 1 could possibly be done for that price, if there's very little wrong and you do the work yourself.

But $5K for a 2.2L that's decently built will probably be a stretch. You can easily spend most of that budget just on cylinder heads that can support that displacement!!

$10K for a Six swap can be doable if you already have the 911 motor and induction setup. If not, the costs go up. If the engine needs a rebuild (reasonably likely on the smaller-displacement 911 engines in particular) you can spend a whole lot more.

To me, the "easy" button would be to see if @McMark still does the 2055cc motors for $5K.

But you might be surprised how much fun a 914 can be with "only" 80 HP...

--DD
jaredmcginness
Welcome! I love that Ravenna Green! Get it running and put a few miles on it.

My 2c.
B3owulf
Thanks for the replies! It is Revena Green; let my wife pick the color and she picked great!

I'm surprised the six swap is so expensive (guess I shouldn't be, Porsche is always expensive). Have not done a lot of research yet but surprised it was that much more expensive!

Good thing I have time to think about it, I will have to start prowling the marketplace for used speed parts!

BeatNavy
I agree with Andy. Put some miles on the 1.7L before you start spending money. I started with 1.7L, went to two different 2056's, and now have a 2.3. It does get more expensive as you go, and I have probably put any plans for a six on hold for now.

From reading other people's experiences here, the most cost effective 2056 these days may be what FAT offers turn-key. You can also build one, but figure $2.5 to over $5K in parts alone, depending on what parts you recycle or select.

Anyway, great looking car, and your son is very cute although he doesn't look very productive at the moment -- put a wrench in his hand smile.gif

Good luck and stay safe, soldier.
mb911
@B3owulf I agree with getting the 1.7 running just so you can sort the whole car out. I am happy to work with you on all the -6 swap parts along the way. I offer package pricing along with military pricing so don't be afraid to reach out to me. I also from time to time have used stuff or 2nds on some of the products to help out with costs. www.914-6werkshop.com. Also check out my build thread on here and you will see the labor required. I do believe a small displacement -6 can be built for the 10-12 range but it will not be a fresh -6 engine. mepstein has a complete 2.2 in the classifieds right now that is very tempting just because the sum of the parts.

Shivers
Just my opinion. If the bottom end feels good enough, you can get a set of 96mm P/C's to bolt right up to the 1.7 to bump it up to a 1.9. A little love and those 1.7 heads will be good for this build. 914 flywheel is not the same as a bus flywheel and rebuild the webers. It will be fun and you can throw the rest of those thousands into a six fund. And thanks for your service smile.gif

https://aapistons.com/products/96mm-porsche...ZBoCCtIQAvD_BwE
Cairo94507
@B3owulf - welcome.png Thank you for your service. I agree with Ian regarding building a 2056 and installing the stock fuel injection with a nice SS exhaust. I think you will love that engine.

Then, after you have the car fully sorted and driving, if you still want a 6, you can buy/build the 6 and swap it into the car and sell your 2056 for decent money.

Cheers and be safe,
Michael beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 14 2022, 12:12 AM) *

agree.gif

You are way, way off on the COA 3 - /6 option. By at least double if not triple unless you already have a running six sitting in your garage. I currently have a 2.4L six that is a work in progress and I easily have $9K in machining the case, rebuilding the heads, resizing the rods, crankshaft machining. OEM main bearings are about $850 alone! yikes.gif

I'll also add that COA 1 -- 76 HP isn't too slow. 914's will never be fast cars in a straight line by modern standards. Any recent Tesla is going to put even a LS motor swapped 914 to shame from 0-60 mph.

What 914's do exceptionally well is carry speed though corners. They are built for handling, not straight line acceleration. COA 1 is great for learning how to drive, carry speed though the corners, and to use momentum to your advantage.

COA - 2 to build an engine with the HP you're wanting, with any semblance of durability, you'll need a set of LN Engineering Nickies. Those will cost $4K just for the pistons and cylinders. You'll also need a decent set of Heads. When I bought a set from Len at HAM a few years ago that was $1700 or so. . . . . the costs just keep adding up. Again, off by at least double by the time you include cam, machine work, external oil cooler, etc.

Yeah -- Ian has it right. Build a 2056 - well documented, well proven, easy 100HP motor with good reliability. Shivers is also giving you another good option. My 1st engine rebuild was from a 1.7L as a 1911 with 96's, decent cam, Weber's . . . plenty of fun, and I accumulated plenty of speeding tickets.

welcome.png
PanelBilly
You need to go for a drive in a 1.7 and see just how much fun it can be. I know some one in Scottsdale that will rent you a car for the weekend so you can see what you could have. /6 is great but for the $$$ you might be better off saving some for the Legos you’ll be buying soon.
Jett
I have a stock 73 1.7 and have a smile every time we drive it. Pedal to the floor on every shift and rarely exceed 60 mph smile.gif. If we drove the same way in our 996TT we would have speeding tickets, which are no fun. That said, I would find the FI and put it back.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2022, 10:07 PM) *

Get the 1.7L cleaned up and running and drive it for a while before you throw silly money at it.

driving.gif

agree.gif

If all the pieces are there, get the 914 back on the road. You can always upgrade an engine later.

welcome.png
VaccaRabite
I've always like phone dials on a 914.

Zach
friethmiller
I took my 1.8L to a 2375. Long story short, it was an expensive PIA. I'd either keep it at 1.7L or go to a 2056 like Ian is recommending.
mlindner
Shivers, thirty years ago I did what you are doing....a tired 1.8, big bore kit, weber and cam. Maybe 110/120 hp, just a great engine and lots of fun. Now, same car built as a 914-6 GT Tribute, 2.2 S with Mod-solex cams and short gears but at a cost of 35K and lots of free labor. Have fun. MarkClick to view attachment
B3owulf
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 14 2022, 07:27 AM) *

@B3owulf I agree with getting the 1.7 running just so you can sort the whole car out. I am happy to work with you on all the -6 swap parts along the way. I offer package pricing along with military pricing so don't be afraid to reach out to me. I also from time to time have used stuff or 2nds on some of the products to help out with costs. www.914-6werkshop.com. Also check out my build thread on here and you will see the labor required. I do believe a small displacement -6 can be built for the 10-12 range but it will not be a fresh -6 engine. mepstein has a complete 2.2 in the classifieds right now that is very tempting just because the sum of the parts.

I saw that one in the classifieds, it is the only reason I thought it would be possible to do the 6 swap “on the cheap”. That is a very complete motor for the price. If I can get it running with carb rebuild and ignition refresh…. So tempting

But I see everyone’s point of running the 1.7 I have and then worry about making it fast later.
Al Meredith
don't know when you are being deployed but if you are here on September 15 -18 we are having our 914 "Okteenerfest" in Townsend , Tenn . If you are still here you will meet the most hard core 914 people in on the east coast and Texas . Hope to see you there. Look for the "okteenerfest post here on 914 world. Al
tygaboy
I didn't read every reply but I'm with the "get it running and drive it" approach, as pointed out by others. Once you're sure you're a fan of the 914 driving experience, THEN make a decision about what mods you want, if any.
Me? I'd make it a reliable driver THEN go all in on the shift linkage, a nice steering wheel, suspension, brakes and tires.
Make it drive, handle and stop REALLY well. I have a 500hp LS swapped into my 914 and can speak from experience that more HP isn't always what you want.
Give that 1.7 a chance to put a smile on your face before you do anything else. Oh, and
welcome.png
bkrantz
Congrats on your progress so far, and keep enjoying the father-son moments.

And you win the white board category. smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(B3owulf @ Jun 14 2022, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 14 2022, 07:27 AM) *

I saw that one in the classifieds, it is the only reason I thought it would be possible to do the 6 swap “on the cheap”. That is a very complete motor for the price. If I can get it running with carb rebuild and ignition refresh…. So tempting

But I see everyone’s point of running the 1.7 I have and then worry about making it fast later.

Mark who has the engine is a good seller.
barefoot
QUOTE(iankarr @ Jun 14 2022, 12:12 AM) *

I'd second the 1.5 option. I built a 2056 for under $2500 by did most of the work myself. Started with a worn out GC code 2L that had ben align bored once but probably needed it again. Had small valve bus heads, a worn out cam of unknown origin, and crusty Dell 40's.

I was able to source a torn down GA code 2L mostly complete long block with good 2L heads. I had that case align bored, crank ground u/s on main journals, case decked & fitted to new main brgs. and all oil gallerys tapped for threaded plugs. Sourced new WEB cam/lifters/gear & mod type 1 oil pump. Sourced new 96mm P & C kit, Got new SS exhaust valves to replace suspect sodium filled OE parts. Sourced dell rebuild kits & did work myself.
I did all engine assembly work myself. Engine runs strong so I'm happy. I can PM you the details if you'd like. beer.gif
Barefoot
slowrodent
Good luck with the build... I think you're going to need it.. Your son looks more like an "idea guy" who will just babble on and on about the smallest things... dry.gif
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2022, 10:07 PM) *

driving.gif

+1 on this. I have a '72 1.7L and took it to a track and had a great time! I have fun on the twisty roads around here as well. Plenty of torque.

Drive it as a 1.7 for awhile and see what you think.
B3owulf
QUOTE(slowrodent @ Jun 15 2022, 10:28 AM) *

Good luck with the build... I think you're going to need it.. Your son looks more like an "idea guy" who will just babble on and on about the smallest things... dry.gif

Yeah for sure! I’m just trying to get him to HOLD THE FLASHLIGHT!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Leaning towards the 2056 option right now, I can have it built while I’m gone and waiting for me when I get back.

MStill love the idea of a 6 conversation, glad I got a better idea on price before I started buying anything. Fortunately I have time to think about it, research, establish a realistic budget, and decide what I’m willing to spend.

MM1
welcome.png and thank you for your service.

Andy nailed it as usual.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.