Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! ScottyBoy's old rust bucket
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 07:29 AM
Post #41

J is for Genius

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2022, 09:05 AM) *

$60k would be all the money if it was in great shape with a small engine six. Seller is in dream land no matter what the condition shows.

Agreed!

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 1 2022, 09:22 AM) *

Nothing worse than a cosmetically decent, structurally terrible 914. Are those zip-tied fuel lines dangling down below the body or is it just the angle??

That is correct. There was like 3 or 4 feet of fuel line under the tank that was all bundled up. No idea why, but I can assure you it was not my doing! But it's pretty emblematic of everything on this car. Someone went to the trouble to replace the fuel line, but why not do it correctly and simply cut the line to size?!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 07:30 AM
Post #42

J is for Genius

Another shot of how rust was handled on this car. Just paint over it!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 1 2022, 08:17 AM
Post #43

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 1 2022, 08:38 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428

@era vulgaris

Suggest updating VIN database with pictures (can link to this page) and detailed description of what has been shown.

Out of curiosity I queried the database and the info documented for this VIN is minimal.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 08:45 AM
Post #45

J is for Genius

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 1 2022, 10:38 AM) *

@era vulgaris

Suggest updating VIN database with pictures (can link to this page) and detailed description of what has been shown.

Out of curiosity I queried the database and the info documented for this VIN is minimal.

Good call. It is now updated with a link to this thread
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 09:08 AM
Post #46

J is for Genius

Compare the area below left and right turn signals

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 09:09 AM
Post #47

J is for Genius

orange orange peel!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Arno914
post Jul 1 2022, 09:18 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

I wouldn´t drive this "thing" even if it was given to me for free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 1 2022, 09:31 AM
Post #49

914 Guru

It really makes me sad to think that someone will eventually buy this car (hopefully not for $60k) and then they will judge 914's by it.

I'm not a tremendous fan of BAT but at least there, the peanut gallery chimes in and can help tamp down unwarranted enthusiasm and unrealistic pricing. No such thing on E-Bay.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 1 2022, 09:31 AM
Post #50

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

eBay I don't get it. For me, there are banners over the bid. Can't see the #s. Is this new? Am I expected to sign up and log in to view? What was the end result? RNM?
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 10:16 AM
Post #51

J is for Genius

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 1 2022, 11:31 AM) *

It really makes me sad to think that someone will eventually buy this car (hopefully not for $60k) and then they will judge 914's by it.

If it makes you feel better, this was the first 914 I bought. It was also the first car I bought long distance, which is how I got f*cked on it (thankfully for nowhere near the current asking price!). But even though it was a total POS, I saw the model's potential. A couple months after selling it I picked up the '75 Laguna Blue 914 with the 2270 built by McMark that I owned and loved for 2 years. I still regret selling that '75, and often wonder where it is and hope it's being treated well!

If I ever finish this bare metal 66 Ghia restoration, that I'm 3 years into at this point...I will eventually buy another 914. It's a car I truly miss.

But if someone does buy this car sight unseen for the asking price, or anywhere near the asking price, I honestly worry what is going to happen to the seller. Because the asking price is literally criminal. When I sold this car honestly in 2014, showing all these defects, all I could get for it was $5k. Now it did only have a Djet 1.7 at that time, so maybe the bigger motor adds some value, but I can't imagine it'd be a whole lot more if it was sold honestly today. And the interior was in slightly better shape when I had it: the cocomats weren't shredded, and it had a backpad and no rollbar so that a passenger could at least sit in it.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 10:20 AM
Post #52

J is for Genius

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 1 2022, 11:31 AM) *

eBay I don't get it. For me, there are banners over the bid. Can't see the #s. Is this new? Am I expected to sign up and log in to view? What was the end result? RNM?

I can see it without logging in. $59,500 BIN price
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jul 1 2022, 10:26 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 1 2022, 08:31 AM) *

I'm not a tremendous fan of BAT but at least there, the peanut gallery chimes in and can help tamp down unwarranted enthusiasm and unrealistic pricing. No such thing on E-Bay.

Well unfortunately that's changing too--they banned @RFoulds for his comments exposing another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) turd sandwich of a listing on there. The comments on BAT were what *used* to keep it a community oriented plaform, those days are over, it's a money machine now and they don't want the negative comments killing their revenue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 1 2022, 10:33 AM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 1 2022, 12:26 PM) *

Well unfortunately that's changing too--they banned @RFoulds for his comments exposing another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) turd sandwich of a listing on there. The comments on BAT were what *used* to keep it a community oriented plaform, those days are over, it's a money machine now and they don't want the negative comments killing their revenue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Yes. Bat has become much more censored than ever.

I asked a question on Pcar market and it never went to the seller. The company reads everything and determines if the seller can see it.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 1 2022, 10:36 AM
Post #55

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 1 2022, 09:26 AM) *

Not quite the whole story IMO, he got banned cause he got personal. He let a troll get under his skin. That s the unfortunate part of BAT, bunch of uninformed trolls just wanting to stir up drama.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 1 2022, 10:49 AM
Post #56

914 Guru

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 1 2022, 12:16 PM) *

But if someone does buy this car sight unseen for the asking price, or anywhere near the asking price, I honestly worry what is going to happen to the seller. Because the asking price is literally criminal.

Nah . . . immoral behavior isn't illegal.

He's been pretty crafty with both the pictures and the words.

Likewise, stupidity on the part of the buyer isn't illegal.

Lot's of cars get misrepresented on EBay. I sometimes like to call them Evil Bay if only because there are so many problems with that platform that they refuse to address (misrepresentation, allowing auction sniping, ratings, etc.).

My FIL has bought one or two cars on there that haven't been as represented. Very little one can do in a court of law. There is no legal requirement that the seller take unflattering pictures or to ask a reasonable, respectable, honest price. As you've noted in your correspondence, he "believes" the panels are fiberglass. No requirement by law that he has to be educated on the difference between steel, fiberglass and Bondo.

I thought his comment that Bondo isn't used to repair fiberglass to be telling. He's simply ignorant of bodywork materials and their use.

Who knows . . . maybe the longitudinals were replaced when they caged it. Maybe they simply cut some tin cans, screwed them in with self tapping screws and covered with thick sealer and undercoating and that means replaced to him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I think it's telling that there are no pictures of the hell hole, the longs, or any detail photos of any sort. That's not illegal but it certainly is an indicator of "Buyer Beware" . . . at least to me . . . in my opinion.

You've done the best you can do which is to post the info here, and updated the VIN database. After that . . . it comes down to the seller doing some due diligence since $60K for a /4 with a set of fiberglass flares (or panels) really isn't a GT (in my opinion) nor is it even close to market price.

Best scenario is that it simply fails to sell.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 1 2022, 11:39 AM
Post #57

J is for Genius

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 1 2022, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 1 2022, 12:16 PM) *

But if someone does buy this car sight unseen for the asking price, or anywhere near the asking price, I honestly worry what is going to happen to the seller. Because the asking price is literally criminal.

Nah . . . immoral behavior isn't illegal.

You're right, and I should clarify I was being hyperbolic. I shouldn't have used the word literally. I wasn't referring to criminal in the legal sense. I meant more along the lines of how people can act irrationally when they feel they've been cheated out of large sums of money. There's some crazy people out there, and that is a serious pile of money to get cheated out of.

I've bought other cars off of ebay, and had much better experiences. My current daily driver, an 85k mile '99 MX-5 10AE, for example was a great purchase and has been a great car. But my good experiences were learned through the expensive lesson of getting ripped off on this 914. Learning what questions to ask, what pics and videos to ask for, and to simply walk away if a seller is acting sketchy or uncooperative.

+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Jul 1 2022, 01:18 PM
Post #58

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 1 2022, 09:36 AM) *

Not quite the whole story IMO, he got banned cause he got personal. He let a troll get under his skin. That s the unfortunate part of BAT, bunch of uninformed trolls just wanting to stir up drama.

I asked one guy to explain how he could possibly call that POS "one of the best 914 he had ever seen." the guy was a fucking idiot.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jul 1 2022, 03:09 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

As for selling a car, I just had a good experience with no hassle. Wife bought a new Mazda CX-50 so we sold her 2008 RAV4. A 6 cylinder in great shape. Fixed things underneath and completely detailed the outside and engine compartment. Pros detailed interior. Mentioned about selling it to a lady at church who turns out was getting frustrated at looking at used cars and prices. Got double what the dealer offered for trade-in and her mechanic spotted three little things so we adjusted price a few hundred dollars. Fate and doing a good deed for someone in my community.
Onward!
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 1 2022, 04:21 PM
Post #60

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 1 2022, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 1 2022, 09:36 AM) *

Uninformed troll??? Really? As for getting personal, I asked one guy to explain how he could possibly call that POS "one of the best 914 he had ever seen." the guy was a fucking idiot.

Just got and sent you a reply via pm, slow down and take. Look at what I said.

I said you let a troll get under your skin (I would have too after the comment he made, so no judgements here). I’m not calling you a troll or uninformed…

Yes that guy was an idiot, but he was egging you on, on purpose, to get you riled up. It worked, it got personal, then they banned you.

That’s my point, many of the commenters on BAT are not buyers, there’re not informed and they’re not enthusiasts, they’re trolls just looking to stir up controversy.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:53 AM