Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FIXED Window not rolling up (early '73).
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jul 30 2023, 02:45 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(SteveL @ Jul 30 2023, 10:10 AM) *

Side Comment...
That is the cleanest damn inner door shell I have ever seen.

Thanks. PO has cleaned them up, but sadly didn't replace any rubber, rollers, or anything. Looks like he just lubed stuff and tried to re-glue the window into the bracket (unsuccessfully). Trying to finish the job the right way.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jul 30 2023, 02:46 PM
Post #22

This is the bracket on Ian's '74 LE. His doors look mostly the same as mine. As we know, the '73 (especially the early '73's like mine) were a transition year with doors and mechanicals.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jul 30 2023, 03:00 PM
Post #23

I guess I need to find someone who has a pair of brackets for sale from a late 73' or later like those in Ian's video that don't require a slot in the triangle seal.

Are the brackets a direct swap (plug and play)?

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com and @Mikey914 any suggestions here?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 30 2023, 09:28 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jul 29 2023, 09:35 PM) *

Problem with the triangle window seal though.

As you can see, my old triangle seal (the one that's removed) had a large slot in the bottom for the triangle window support brace, but the new seal does not.

The new seal is from 914 Rubber, but even the OEM Porsche triangle window seals available don't have that slot ... nor do other aftermarket options. All triangle window seals appear to be one size fits all 70-76 with no variations.

Again, my 914 is an early '73 (built in 11/72).

Any insights here?

I fought with this over several attempts to first make a slot in the repro rubber and then get the rubber to seat evenly into the door with the triangle glass installed. Eventually I gave up and bought some factory brand rubber. Not NOS, but the molding was different enough to seat better.
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Jul 31 2023, 10:40 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 30 2023, 09:28 PM) *

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jul 29 2023, 09:35 PM) *

Problem with the triangle window seal though.

As you can see, my old triangle seal (the one that's removed) had a large slot in the bottom for the triangle window support brace, but the new seal does not.

The new seal is from 914 Rubber, but even the OEM Porsche triangle window seals available don't have that slot ... nor do other aftermarket options. All triangle window seals appear to be one size fits all 70-76 with no variations.

Again, my 914 is an early '73 (built in 11/72).

Any insights here?

I fought with this over several attempts to first make a slot in the repro rubber and then get the rubber to seat evenly into the door with the triangle glass installed. Eventually I gave up and bought some factory brand rubber. Not NOS, but the molding was different enough to seat better.

So nobody even sells an early triangle seal with the slot?

914 Rubber only appears to have one size fits all option.

Same with Pelican on both aftermarket and OEM.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 31 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

The slot is another way for water to enter into the door, and it offers no improvements in fitment. I would argue that it actually makes it harder. It's not needed structurally. Our thought process was that it it makes it harder and can be a source of leaks, why copy the problem?
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post Aug 1 2023, 07:24 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 31 2023, 05:58 PM) *

The slot is another way for water to enter into the door, and it offers no improvements in fitment. I would argue that it actually makes it harder. It's not needed structurally. Our thought process was that it it makes it harder and can be a source of leaks, why copy the problem?

@Mikey914

I really wish the description on your website stated that your seal is not compatible with the early door triangle unless modifications are made to the door or new seal.

A buyer like me with early doors would either need to cut/hacksaw the old metal triangle window supports, swap out the triangle supports for later versions, or significantly modify the 914 Rubber seal to try and mate it with the early style braces (I tried modifying the rubber and was unsuccessful).

I love 914 Rubber products and I'm grateful for the contributions to our community, but after purchasing these seals I'm left feeling misled and disappointed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Aug 1 2023, 05:12 PM
Post #28

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We accept returns for any reason ( without any restocking fees). The only requirement is that they are resealable. Yes, they do work for all applications, but some require modification.
+Quote Post
dgelardi
post Nov 5 2023, 06:45 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 25,160

RE: vent window seal. I discovered the same issue and tried to cut the slot into the new seal but it really was not possible without (potentially) ruining the new seal.

Here is what I did; I trimmed the strut that goes through the seal by about half as I noticed some damage to the glass right where the two would meet. I also did cut a slot in the seal. Hopefully the glass and the metal corner piece don't meet anymore.

As an aside, I noticed that the later doors have a much shorter metal brace and I was tempted to try them but the cutting worked well.

Glass now back in, working on adjustments.

Given the build quality in the early seventies, the driver side came out better then the passenger side, who knows why.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:39 AM