Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Door handle woes, fixed at last!
WHO
post Aug 4 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,065

After replacing the plastic thinger in the outside door handle, it still sucked. I finally bent the internal stamped lever that the handle pushes on inside the door and all is like new! I want the world to know!?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
SirAndy
post Aug 4 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (WHO @ Aug 4 2005, 09:04 PM)
I finally bent the internal stamped lever that the handle pushes on inside the door and all is like new!

yes, they *DO* bend. and most people never check. and bitch about they locks not working right ...

simple fix, hard to find!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 5 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

QUOTE (WHO @ Aug 4 2005, 08:04 PM)
After replacing the plastic thinger in the outside door handle, it still sucked. I finally bent the internal stamped lever that the handle pushes on inside the door and all is like new! I want the world to know!?

I hate to tell you this but the next weakest link in the door handle is the mounting tab.
Now that you've changed the slider, the tab will soon break. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Here is a tip for long life on door handles...

Open the driver's door with your left hand and use your thumb under the handle flap, not your four fingers. You shouldn't "pull" on the handle with your right hand. Just use your left thumb to rotate the flapper up. And go slow.

A new handle is +/- $200 clams now and on Ebay used ones can go for +$75.

P
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 5 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Agree, don't put any stress on the tab or it's a matter of time before it breaks! Another way is to use your right hand, fingers behind like normal, but don't pull - rotate at the pivot. Push in with your thumb at front end while rotating. After it releases the catch, then open the door.
+Quote Post
messix
post Aug 5 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #5

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

when i fixed my door handle with the new plastic plunger i took the time to take the door latch out of the door and clean it of all the crud then relubed it. amazing how well they work now.[ cleaned both latches]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:29 PM