Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door handle woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WHO
After replacing the plastic thinger in the outside door handle, it still sucked. I finally bent the internal stamped lever that the handle pushes on inside the door and all is like new! I want the world to know!?
SirAndy
QUOTE (WHO @ Aug 4 2005, 09:04 PM)
I finally bent the internal stamped lever that the handle pushes on inside the door and all is like new!

yes, they *DO* bend. and most people never check. and bitch about they locks not working right ...

simple fix, hard to find!
beerchug.gif Andy
URY914
QUOTE (WHO @ Aug 4 2005, 08:04 PM)
After replacing the plastic thinger in the outside door handle, it still sucked. I finally bent the internal stamped lever that the handle pushes on inside the door and all is like new! I want the world to know!?

I hate to tell you this but the next weakest link in the door handle is the mounting tab.
Now that you've changed the slider, the tab will soon break. sad.gif

Here is a tip for long life on door handles...

Open the driver's door with your left hand and use your thumb under the handle flap, not your four fingers. You shouldn't "pull" on the handle with your right hand. Just use your left thumb to rotate the flapper up. And go slow.

A new handle is +/- $200 clams now and on Ebay used ones can go for +$75.

P
Rand
Agree, don't put any stress on the tab or it's a matter of time before it breaks! Another way is to use your right hand, fingers behind like normal, but don't pull - rotate at the pivot. Push in with your thumb at front end while rotating. After it releases the catch, then open the door.
messix
when i fixed my door handle with the new plastic plunger i took the time to take the door latch out of the door and clean it of all the crud then relubed it. amazing how well they work now.[ cleaned both latches]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.