Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sand blaster chassis then what ?, What would do next ?
nathanxnathan
post Jul 29 2022, 12:03 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,899
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 28 2022, 06:43 PM) *

Oh goodie! I get to be the contrarian again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I glass blasted my car myself. One of the least fun things a person can spend time doing, but it saved $. I had the car on a rotisserie which really helped rid the car of media. A few hours with shop vac, air hose, and spinning, spinning, spinning, the rotisserie as I worked. I haven't found a grain of media afterward. Not saying it was easy, but I'm not sorry I did it and don't know how I would have gotten the chassis to bare metal without blasting.

Once down to bare metal, treat with Ospho and then epoxy primer. The Ospho kills any rust that might still be lurking, creates a protective coating to prevent flash rust, and it improves adhesion of the epoxy. PPG recommends phosphoric acid treatment to promote adhesion of their DPLF epoxy.

I think it helps that you can turn the car upside down. Repeated compressed air and vacuuming help to be sure. Certain areas though... I'll be pounding on the car and look, say in the fuel tank area, and see that glass bead is coming out of a support/closed off area that I didn't think was open. There are so many places for it to get stuck in.

I will say that the plusses of spot glass bead blasting keep me going back to it despite the havoc it brings. I think if the car is stripped and you are going deep there's a place for it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 29 2022, 07:53 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jul 29 2022, 12:03 AM) *

Certain areas though... I'll be pounding on the car and look, say in the fuel tank area, and see that glass bead is coming out of a support/closed off area that I didn't think was open. There are so many places for it to get stuck in.

This is a super important point. This was probably one advantage to spending 3 years repairing EXTENSIVE rust. By the time I got to blasting, I knew ever hole and crevice in the car and knew all the places that needed to be blown and sucked out. Every structural member is hollow inside and designed to allow condensation and water to drain out. That means there is a way for blasting media to get in, and a way to get it out with the right tools.

I should also add that I live any a very low humidity area so the media didn't cake up. I doubt I would have had the same success in a high humidity place.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 29 2022, 08:48 AM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Gotta love the east coast

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jul 29 2022, 09:05 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

No joke, the outside of my windows are foggy today...crazy
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Jul 29 2022, 09:37 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

And the inside of your car is rusty!
+Quote Post
racer914
post Jul 29 2022, 11:05 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 23,513
Region Association: South East States

I had the bottom of my project done with a water/glass bead blast. It was very economical and the result was better than expected. Attached Image
+Quote Post
nivekdodge
post Jul 29 2022, 11:50 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 25,860

20 years as a painter and then 20 as the local paint guy.

1.Rust gets almost everywhere, sand gets almost everywhere, acid almost gets everywhere.

2.The only people who had a chance at this not rusting back were the Germans 50 years ago when the metal was still pristine. If you have a 10 year old pickup truck you know about rust between two pieces of metal.

3. I stripped my outer panels with liquid and mechanical. Don't sandblast outer panels. You will warp them. The inner panels I did a combo of liquid, wire brush and mechanical.then sand blasting.

4. The Eastwood thing works great on truck frame rails. Not these body panels.

5. it either time or dollars,

6. blowing the sand out takes time. less with two airlines.Less with a spit. I spun mine every night and still got sand. I did a drag car years ago and everytime the wheels come back down, sand falls.

How much is dipping? you MUST get the primer dipped also.

Kevin
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 29 2022, 12:52 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Jul 29 2022, 11:50 AM) *

20 years as a painter and then 20 as the local paint guy.

1.Rust gets almost everywhere, sand gets almost everywhere, acid almost gets everywhere.

2.The only people who had a chance at this not rusting back were the Germans 50 years ago when the metal was still pristine. If you have a 10 year old pickup truck you know about rust between two pieces of metal.

3. I stripped my outer panels with liquid and mechanical. Don't sandblast outer panels. You will warp them. The inner panels I did a combo of liquid, wire brush and mechanical.then sand blasting.

4. The Eastwood thing works great on truck frame rails. Not these body panels.

5. it either time or dollars,

6. blowing the sand out takes time. less with two airlines.Less with a spit. I spun mine every night and still got sand. I did a drag car years ago and everytime the wheels come back down, sand falls.

How much is dipping? you MUST get the primer dipped also.

Kevin

Kevin,

Sounds as the voice of experience, there is no easy answer. I can recall blasting a pre-A speedster in the early 1970's with silica (without a mask) and there was sand everywhere, probably still is
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 05:09 AM