Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flat tow set up questions, i have a few questions for those that may have done this before with a 914
DRPHIL914
post Aug 17 2022, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I know there are a few out there that have done the flat tow. i have my tow bar bracket bolted into place and the OEM valance removed. a common issue is the amount of drop required for the tow hitch ball. My Lincoln Navigator does have tow package and sits higher than expected, so it’s a lot of angle there, even with a 5” drop hitch. i have ordered a 10” drop hitch and that should be better . i took a few pictures with the yolk attached to the truck, and with it on jack stands set at what will be the same height of the bar on the car , which is 8” from the pavement.
I believe with the 10” drop, the ball will be about 4” higher than parallel, now it would be about 10” and that’s too steep an angle.

one thought was couldn’t you mount tow brackets in behind the fog light grills? that would raise it 6-8” ans make it perfectly leave with my current drop hitch, BUT how much reinforcement would be required? has anyone done this?

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 17 2022, 09:51 AM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Group: Members
Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Its been done but the only reinforcing steel for the crosswall (the metal behind the grills) is the vertical wheel well supports, which I believe were designed for push or crumple protection not pull, plus it would require some welding or drilling vs just bolt on
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:24 AM