Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat tow set up questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I know there are a few out there that have done the flat tow. i have my tow bar bracket bolted into place and the OEM valance removed. a common issue is the amount of drop required for the tow hitch ball. My Lincoln Navigator does have tow package and sits higher than expected, so it’s a lot of angle there, even with a 5” drop hitch. i have ordered a 10” drop hitch and that should be better . i took a few pictures with the yolk attached to the truck, and with it on jack stands set at what will be the same height of the bar on the car , which is 8” from the pavement.
I believe with the 10” drop, the ball will be about 4” higher than parallel, now it would be about 10” and that’s too steep an angle.

one thought was couldn’t you mount tow brackets in behind the fog light grills? that would raise it 6-8” ans make it perfectly leave with my current drop hitch, BUT how much reinforcement would be required? has anyone done this?

Phil
914werke
Its been done but the only reinforcing steel for the crosswall (the metal behind the grills) is the vertical wheel well supports, which I believe were designed for push or crumple protection not pull, plus it would require some welding or drilling vs just bolt on
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.